To all Cunucks

• One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Do you think Michel Phelps(now at 7 golds) will beat the whole Canadian team in medal count? As of now we have 1 bronze I think in Judo. I have been out of the country for 5 years and never remember Canada with so few medals after 1 week. I know we normaly only get a few but I think this Olympics it getting a little embarasing. Does any Canadians know what is going on?
  • 12 replies
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      well we have 4 medals now- 2 in wrestling, 1 swimming, 1 rowing.

I think Phelps will for sure have more golds than canada, but maybe around the same total medal counts. We still have a couple of good chances for medals in rowing (mens eight in particular) and also adam vancouverden in kayak is world champion, so he should get a couple of medals as well. I imagine there will be a couple more from people I don't know about so I think we should get above 8 total medals.

Pretty brutal start for sure though :tongue:
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Yes, there's no real sports focus in school - and we have a conservative minority government that believes in offering incentives for medals, instead of funding the programs to achieve them. Figures, since they loathe to spend anything on social programs and this way they don't have to shell out any cash unless medals - kind of a catch 22.

In the US there's much more focus on the jock sports lifestyle - and every high school has a sports program that is better than most of our college programs.. we suck - or don't think winning medals is as important as americans do.

Also, USA has 10 times the population of Canada - so if they win 40 medals we should win 4, or less, since the gene pool is smaller.

Maybe they could add some seal clubbing and lumberjack type events for us to win ;-)

Also maybe something to do with the private medical system in the US, and doping research advantages. We all know about marion jones, and carl lewis (reputedly) amongst others that won many medals but got caught. Phelps is more a freak of nature - but I wouldn't rule out past steroid use! If there's an edge, the americans can more afford to exploit it.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      we're up to 7 now thanks to rowing!

2 golds, 1 silver, 4 bronze

I think we'll get over 10 after that for sure.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Just as I had written this Canada wakes up and we now have 7 medals.
      I can agree with you bckdrflush on most of what you written except for "USA has 10 times the population of Canada - so if they win 40 medals we should win 4, or less, since the gene pool is smaller". Yes US has more people, but why do we win just as much or more medals in the winter Olympics than US? We only win 2 medals for hockey, so the rest are from other sports meaning we can excel in other sports, maybe just not summer sport. Yes/no. I can see nothings changed, the Athletes receive no money to train and gov. (supposedly) has no money to give them to train.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      I definitely agree with you guys as well that the funding is lacking, and that it's very unrealistic for a government to think that investing money a couple of years before an Olympic games is going to produce results.

I was an athlete at the national/international level up until last year, and I did have some financial support from the government so I can't say they don't support athletes at all (although I was a cross-country skier so winter sport). The funny thing is that they're putting a little more money into winter sport right now to try to try for a good medal haul in Vancouver, but it's already too late to expect major improvements from athletes. In cross-country skiing athletes peak between 24-30 years old, and this is after they've been training to the best of their ability since they were 15...so obviously adding money 2-4 years before the Olympics can't vastly change the results! (maybe it can help a little more so in events that aren't quite as endurance based as skiing but still)
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      gggeorgio I just want to say Congrats or Glückwünsche on commiting many years to hard training and representing Canada in International ski.
      I lived in Calgary/Canmore so I ran into some athletes and have heard that its a grind having to train and work fulll time. Good luck playing poker.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Thanks one12ver,

I'm from Calgary! I trained there and in Canmore for quite a few years, although a year ago I moved to Quebec City. Canmore's such an awesome place. Didn't expect to run across someone from so close to home on this site full of europeans.

edit* I was a junior up until last year when I quit, so I never raced world cups or anything, just world junior championships and a couple of other international races.
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      Im from Edmonton
      Good to see other Canadians
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      we're up to 12 medals now!

Canada's on fire!
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      13 medals now, which makes us around 11 or 12th in total medals. The triathalon finish was exciting to watch too.

Still have a few more chances for medals...so far more than Athens so not too bad, per capita, we are probably top 3.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      up to 15 now! My question is do you think we will make 20.

I'm thinking it's very possible with very probable medals from Adam Vankooverden in kayak (both 1000m and 500m) and Alexandre Despatie in diving 10m. There are also a couple of other medal posibilities in canoe/kayak, the strongest being in canoe 1000m (I forget his name right now). And probably some others that I don't know about.

No matter what happens now, this has been a good olympics for Canada.
    • One12ver
      One12ver
      Bronze
      Wow! 1st week 1, 2nd week 17. I must apologize for the original post thinking that Canada would win less than Phelps. I guess that I have forgotten what we Canuks can do and the fighting spirit that we all have. We may not be the best, but we will allways be fighting to the end. To all Canadians: Good luck in the poker battle and only 2years till the Winter Olympics in Vancouver.