SnGs, why do i get so unlucky

• terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      I have been playing a lot of poker recentl and to a good standard i think, i am making good money on the cash tables but keep being donked ot on SnGs. two perfect examples, had AKo mid position, 1 players calls a 100, so i push knowing this player is loose and will call with marginal hands, every1 folds round and he calls, KJs, flop hit and he gets his J, nothing hit for me and he doubled up, 10 hands later i am SS in the SB nd i get 1010, every1 folds round to me so i push and the BB calls, J4o and again hits his jack on the flop. this has been the cas for my last 20/30 SnGs, its just not fair because i play good poker but get donked by spastics every time.
  • 13 replies
    • sirilidion
      sirilidion
      Bronze
      don't worry this is pretty standaard. you will often get sucked out in these sng's . Happens to me too and know many more players get this from time to time. but still the sng's are are profitable at the long run as long as you keep too basic strategy , to bankroll management and don't let you're emotions get the better of you. Hope things will go better for you soon and if they do let me know. ;)
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      You notice more bad beats in SnG's, as your often forced to play weaker hands than you usually would in a cash game. The thing is a SnG roi % is made up over a lifetime, not over 20/30 games. Variance is pretty big, and 20/30 games is no samplesize. If it is still happening after 200/300 games, then its time to work on your game, and find leaks rather than focusing on bad beats.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      im doing very well at the cash tables, have won over $20 in the last two days at NL5 which im especially pleased because ive had a few huge suckouts with good hands costing me about 4 or 5 BIs but im just not running lucky in SnGs, i was playing MTTs but cannell sugested i should stop playing them untill im a more experienced player, maybe im just not made out for SnGs, i think i will re-read the articles and hopefully i should be more successful next time. thanks for the support guys, and sorry cannell for my constant bitchin, it must be getting annoying, lol
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      No need to be sorry. I dont mind answering and commenting in such threads if the poster is taking the advice given.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      well i took your advice the other day, like i said i was thinking of stopping playing and because of your help i think ive turned from being a breakeven player to a winning player. i think i should start a blog so i can set myself some targets, i didtry one before on pokerstars but i was playing too loose so there was a lot of variance so i stopped playin pokerstars ad cashed out, stopping the blog at the same time.
    • suvalgysiu
      suvalgysiu
      Bronze
      in my oppinion blog's are evil if you set yourself some goals, because you're constantly under pressure of completing your daily/weekly goal.
    • terrygilham
      terrygilham
      Bronze
      yeah your right but im not the kinda player whos going to start going on tilt to try and reach my goal, just if ive got something to aim for its going to make me a lt more focused i feel, if it doesnt work then i can scrap the idea and as for daily goals thats a bit extreme due to variance a monthly goal would be more realistic and even then if i dont achieve it then its not a huge deal.
    • funktor
      funktor
      Bronze
      Hi,

I just got some decent sucess in multitable SNGs (3rd and 1st place in 45 players $1 + $0.1), but couple of games later it started...

Playing 3 tables... I am little behind I need to push... decent cards, push and that my ATs beated by K6. I thought - got two more tables, again on both 60:40 for my self - push, lost again.

Again, playing 45 SNG, I am in the middle of the field, about almoast two full tables remaining, quite high blinds... several limps on the table, one min raise, I am on BB push all in with KK, get called by AA and small stack with KQ.

And again and again, pushing with 99 agains AQ, lost, AQ against 44, lost, 99 vs. 44 (2 3 5 6 T came out). I think 20 - 30 SNGs in raw I wasn't able get to the paid places.

Thanks for encouregement.

Regards Funktor
    • alejandrosh
      alejandrosh
      Bronze
      it's quite common to lose against KJ , not because it's a good hand but because in the micro stakes S&G lot's of players think KJ = instant all in.

if it makes you feel any better, i had bad luck on S&G too, KK busted 3 times in a row against two outers on the river, the bright side is that on the only one I was left with some chips ( 3 BB ) pushed with 6-4off (actually on the dark , since i pushed before i looked my cards ) got called by AA and suck out on him to make the money.

i guess that's sit&go.
    • Cagey75
      Cagey75
      Bronze
      I mostly play sngs as I have a bad habit of playing much looser in cash and donk it all away. In sngs I tend to have more patience, I have no idea why. I'll play anything up to 12-15 sngs per day (provided I'm winning a few to keep going) , and during the course of that I'll get sucked out by donks chasing and hitting low straights against my flopped 2 pair, miracle one-outers against my sets, AA getting rivered by some muppet who called all in with 72os with a K29 flop and catches a 2 on the river, players over-rating AK and catching both on turn and river ... etc ..

It happens a lot on iPoker especially I find. It's sickening, especially when you're playing well and there's nothing more you could have done. But the way I see it, for every 2-3 bad beats or fishy suckouts, I'll win one and still be in profit.

I've had days though where I couldn't win 1/6 and thought about giving it up for good, for both my heart's and my pocket's sake! But then I'll have one of those great days where I'm playing well and the cards are holding up and win 6/10 and be well up.

Good players will always come out on top over time. You have to ride the waves.
    • miskokvo
      miskokvo
      Bronze
      in sng u can be in 4 stages.. my experience :
      stage 1. when u are at downswing
      stage 2. when your profit is on dead point (u constantly moving about one number in BR (for example 100$ but it is cursed number u cant earn more)
      stage 3. when u are playing good and cards hold up .. your bankroll will grow up
      stage 4. when u are playing like donk but u are lucky and no mether what you doing u winnig ...(my favorite stage :D )

but if you play acording BRM you can survive bad stages ..and try to maximalize yours wining when you are at good stages... difference between changing stages will be profit or lossing....

but in long run if you play good you will be in profit

ps:keep playing ... u never knows when good stages comes :) and if it comes it will be sweet :) i guarante it

best is when u are starting playing and you are in 3,4 ... 2is average... but if you started playing in stage 1 it is very shame coz lots of time you bank roll fall to 0$ it happened my one time when i won 50$ in freeroll before knowing of pokerstrategy
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      I just finished playing a funny set. I lost a coinflip, lost 5 times when 70-30 ahead and then sucked out on the same guy 3 times in a row when 70-30 behind.

I really like your 4 stage theory. It really fits to what is happening to me. My BR always grows to like twice its size in like two days and then stops for a couple of days and then starts slowly dropping... It's really stresful, though, never knowing whether the growth part will come or not...
    • RockEye
      RockEye
      Bronze
      SnG's can drain your bankroll pretty fast, but if you win your bankroll will go up pretty fast too. I usually play one SNG and if i don't get at least the buy in back.
      If i don't get the money back i play cash tables for profit and then i burn that profit for SNG's. Maybe this won't get me anywhere but at least my bankroll doesn't drop and i still have a chance to improve it fast.