BTN: $3.73
      SB: $10.25
      BB: $10.47
      UTG: $4.01
      MP: $13.99
      Hero (CO): $10.10

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:club: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, fold, fold, BB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.65, 2 players) A:heart: 7:club: 4:diamond:
      BB bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00

Turn: ($3.65, 2 players) 8:heart:
      BB checks, Hero ?

I think I have a bet either on turn or on river. I opt to bet on the turn as there can be some draws plus probably 99-KK are calling anyway. What's optimal sizing without reads? Somewhere between 1/2-2/3? Check back river then?
  • 4 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Against unknown I don't like defending AJo.

On the flop calling is fine.

As played, I would check the turn and go for a bet on the river. I don't think we can take two streets of value from worse hands.

Best,
      Plamen
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      And when we think there's only one street of value, why do we prefer betting on the river, not on the turn?
      Would you defend suited aces and AQo from unsuited? AJo is the top part of folding, right?
    • Starstrick
      Starstrick
      Bronze
      hi,

and AJo is ok fold or 4bet light?two blockers..

but why is call bad? we have position, and he could 3bet light all worst Ax hand, which we dominated ..

if he 3bet often, you go fold too?

thanks

EDIT: sorry i thought we have BTN, is it on BTN diferent play in this hand?
      thanks
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hiya

Calling / 4betting light is an option when you have reads that an opponent 3bets light. However, 4betting as a bluff is preferred due to the poor playability of this hand OoP. You can read why it's rarely a good idea to call a 3bet OoP when 100BB deep here: Why we don't call 3bets OOP against regs 100BB deep

However, there is no evidence that opponent 3bets light. Therefore, fold preflop.

I would also prefer a bet on the river for the following 3 reasons:
      #1 If the opponent is behind, he has only 5% chance of improving (caching a set). Therefore, you don't need to protect on the turn.
      #2 You control the pot by checking the turn making it smaller if you are behind (he has AK/AQ) and you decide to call a river bet (if you bet turn and he leads river again I assume you would call - bluffcatch - which in my opinion is going to be -EV in the long run).
      #3 You can fold on the river after the turn check if the opponent leads to you again - it is unlikely he bluffs with KK-99 this way.

M2c.
      Dawidas