Poker and Nootropics

• Vaie1902
      Vaie1902
      Bronze
      Just wondering has anyone here any experience in using Nootropic supplements (so called smart drugs) while playing Poker.

Things like Piracetam, Aniracetam, Oxiracetam and Pramiracetam or a Choline supplement.

I am just wondering what your experiences have been using these supplements and whether or not you felt they gave you some sort of boost or edge during your time playing.
  • 14 replies
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Test them out for yourself ;) .

Have used some nootropics in the past, they "work" (although idk how much of it is placebo effect). The improvement is there, but it's not that huge, at least not in the long run.

You should research whether your body gets used to the drugs or not, if it does it's useless to buy them.

I think they can potentially give you a small edge, but i'm not sure if it's the best investment in the world. Depends on which stakes you play, if you play micro stakes, your money is better spent on something else, like private coachings etc.

If you can afford them easily without even thinking about it, go for it, test it and see how it works for you ;) .

-SF
    • Vaie1902
      Vaie1902
      Bronze
      Thank you for the response, I was looking just as an overall feedback on them along side any effects they have on your poker playing.

But I should hopefully be playing more micro stakes soon (College exams end in about a week).

So hopefully I can be successful there and maybe invest some money into coaching :) and maybe some nootropics on the side.

I'd buy HEM2 in place of the nootropics I just don't think my laptop could handle it too well (Intel Pentium T4400).

Again, thank you for your response.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Imo if you want to be serious about poker, save up some money and buy a new laptop. That should help you way more along the way than nootropics :) .

Nootropics are one of those quick fixes (pay for this and you have better results!) that give people an excuse not to work hard on their game :) .

Remember, earning a lot of money requires a lot of hard work and determination. Those are the things that will get you there, not a magical fix ;) .

-SF
    • Vaie1902
      Vaie1902
      Bronze
      Oh I definitely know there is no magic fix, I've searched for it often enough. :D

You are probably right that a new computer would be my best investment.
      Do you think it possible to play profitably at micro stakes while maybe only having 2-4 tables open at a time? (Without a HUD that is).
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      taking shortcuts isn't a good idea. If you are having problems with energy levels, change your diet and exercise more!
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Sure, the fewer tables you play, the more likely it is that you'll play profitably ;) .
    • Vaie1902
      Vaie1902
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      taking shortcuts isn't a good idea. If you are having problems with energy levels, change your diet and exercise more!
      Oh I've no problems with energy levels at all, more an interest in new advances in science and the benefits they can have.

As for profitable play, how should one go about finding their preferred gametype? Is it simply trial and error or would it be better to try out the game types on play money tables to see which is more to my tastes?
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      to me, a drug is something that alters the natural processes that take place in your body. I like the idea of enhancing performance, but the idea that it could have a longterm negative impact is worrisome to me. I know these drugs are normally trialled and tested thoroughly, however stranger things happen!
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Originally posted by conall88
      to me, a drug is something that alters the natural processes that take place in your body. I like the idea of enhancing performance, but the idea that it could have a longterm negative impact is worrisome to me. I know these drugs are normally trialled and tested thoroughly, however stranger things happen!
      Agree, maybe it's because we live on the same little island though :D
    • smarternootropics
      smarternootropics
      Basic
      Saw you guys come up in my google alerts for nootropics, so I hopped on and registered to throw my two cents in. I've been researching nootropics for a few years now.

Hard work and determination is the single most important factor in just about anything, especially poker. Exercise and the right diet are also very important in terms of energy level and how you're feeling. If you're tired or you're feeling negative or emotional, then you're not going to play as well.

Once you have those things figured out, then I'd suggest starting in on nootropics. They're not a magic fix, and a lot of chemicals are called "nootropics" even if they're not effective at all. There's a lot of supplements that simply don't work. There's a lot of supplements that are stimulants only, and these will give you energy now in exchange for a crash later. Modafinil is one of these that's touted as being amazing, but in the end a tolerance develops and sooner or later you have to pay for it.

In the end, in my experience the best nootropics to take are racetams. They're very subtle, but slowly increase your working memory, allow you to keep more numbers in your head at once, and to be a little bit more accurate. They take awhile to build up in your system, and they're not like a stimulant, so there's no high or buzz, but there's also no crash.

[edited by thazar]
    • conall88
      conall88
      Bronze
      edit: thanks thazar :)
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by smarternootropics
      Saw you guys come up in my google alerts for nootropics, so I hopped on and registered to throw my two cents in. I've been researching nootropics for a few years now.

Hard work and determination is the single most important factor in just about anything, especially poker. Exercise and the right diet are also very important in terms of energy level and how you're feeling. If you're tired or you're feeling negative or emotional, then you're not going to play as well.

Once you have those things figured out, then I'd suggest starting in on nootropics. They're not a magic fix, and a lot of chemicals are called "nootropics" even if they're not effective at all. There's a lot of supplements that simply don't work. There's a lot of supplements that are stimulants only, and these will give you energy now in exchange for a crash later. Modafinil is one of these that's touted as being amazing, but in the end a tolerance develops and sooner or later you have to pay for it.

In the end, in my experience the best nootropics to take are racetams. They're very subtle, but slowly increase your working memory, allow you to keep more numbers in your head at once, and to be a little bit more accurate. They take awhile to build up in your system, and they're not like a stimulant, so there's no high or buzz, but there's also no crash.

[edited by thazar]
      thank for you input SNT

however we don't allow advertising on our site. this is the only warning next time we will simply remove your rights to post.

Best regards

Thazar
    • Vaie1902
      Vaie1902
      Bronze
      Originally posted by thazar
      thank for you input SNT

however we don't allow advertising on our site. this is the only warning next time we will simply remove your rights to post.

Best regards

Thazar
      I have to say I was quite unsure about his reasons for posting until I saw that he had a referral link to any amazon products he listed on his site.
    • smarternootropics
      smarternootropics
      Basic
      Sorry about violating the no advertising rule. As far as the amazon links go, they about pay for hosting. Anyway, I'd definitely recommend the racetams (which for the most part aren't on amazon).