[NL20-NL50] NL50 ZOOM: AJ 3b in bb v utg

• yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      preflop play might be pretty poor

villain seems like a 4 tabling reg, no real reads
      42/42 over 33 hands

i would defend AQ here most of the time so i 3bet pre with AJs.

as played in regards to line, villain can have AK/AQ here often, so what should our optimal line be?

check flop? bet flop?

as played, once we hit river, i bet what i thought would be smaller than calling villain's bet if he has AK/AK and possibly even getting called by JJ-KK (if he has KK).

anyways probably a pretty poorly played hand, thoughts?

Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $23.48 (47 bb)
      SB: $111.76 (223.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $50.42 (100.8 bb)
      UTG: $66.50 (133 bb)
      MP: $56.74 (113.5 bb)
      CO: $149.63 (299.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J A
      UTG raises to $1.50, 4 folds, Hero raises to $4.75, UTG calls $3.25

Flop: ($9.75) 9 9 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.50, UTG calls $5.50

Turn: ($20.75) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

River: ($20.75) 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $11, UTG calls $11
  • 2 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey,

Continue your postflop play based on preflop. You 3bet preflop more for blocker idea and a semi-bluff, right? What range does he call? Are you ahead of that range?

If yes -> vbet postflop and get call since you assume he calls worse and therefore has a second best hand often.

If no (which is what I think) -> check flop. Against UTG defending range vs 3bet you can't cbet all Axx boards imo. Esp when you have AJ, he will have AK, AQ as Ax and some QQ, JJ hands. If you bet, he just pays once maybe. Also keep in mind your checking range here.. You 3bet KK and QQ probably too.. do you just cbet into a range that contains Ax mostly?

Imo, best line is to check and go from there. It's all about how your own range is constructed though..
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Hey,

Continue your postflop play based on preflop. You 3bet preflop more for blocker idea and a semi-bluff, right? What range does he call? Are you ahead of that range?

If yes -> vbet postflop and get call since you assume he calls worse and therefore has a second best hand often.

If no (which is what I think) -> check flop. Against UTG defending range vs 3bet you can't cbet all Axx boards imo. Esp when you have AJ, he will have AK, AQ as Ax and some QQ, JJ hands. If you bet, he just pays once maybe. Also keep in mind your checking range here.. You 3bet KK and QQ probably too.. do you just cbet into a range that contains Ax mostly?

Imo, best line is to check and go from there. It's all about how your own range is constructed though..
      @Manu

i do 3bet pre for blocker and semi-bluff yes

i do not believe i am ahead of his calling range though.

so your thought process makes so much sense, and i will look to implement that right way.