Hero bets $1.90, BB calls $1.90

RIVER ($6.60) 8:spade: 4:club: 4:heart: 3:spade: Q:club:

Hero checks, BB bets $2.50, Hero folds

BB wins $6.27

23/17, fcbet 25 (4), fold BB to SB steal 67,
      afq f/t/r 21/15/30
      104h

note:
      did not sqzeze w AK when 3 playesr entered pot, check flop, check turn w FD K high, check river w flush - PASSIVE

I am not sure if my fold on river is not too weak. There is missed FD with he could have on turn when calling with some overcads on flop. Also 56s misses, 67s also misses.

So proably this had to be a call for such odds.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey SF,

This is a fold preflop..

Apart from that, you have to build postflop from your preflop reasoning. You assume he folds a lot so you win when he folds. That means that when he doesn't fold, your range is instantly behind his and you hand is ofc also behind. You flop a pair, how could is that pair to get value considering you started with a way worse range?

I would usually just check the flop and try to get to showdown. I don't see how opening 86o will be profitable here. If you want to open wide you need to pay careful attention with how you construct your postflop ranges.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      So far he was foldin a ton vs SB steals, but sample might be not enough. So I was thinking - if I dont hit anythin, I just give up on flop.

But now I hit and because preflop stats that he folds to steals might be be wrong, I cbet it for value.

If the sample preflop was good, then I would have also thought - my range even with top pair is not great and I should try to see cheap showdown.

But probably I should not use fold BB vs SB too much when having such crappy hand preflop and 100 hands sample.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Most people keep forgetting that in order to raise this much preflop (just by using fold BB vs SB) you need to NOT lose postflop. What happens in practice is that people start playing very badly with their weak range postflop and kill the EV they created preflop.

If you'd raise 100% BU I would not disagree with that but when you raise like 50% in SB I cannot do anything but strongly disagree unless you are facing a complete proven nit.