[NL2-NL10] NL10 - JJ in 3bet pot

• MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Standard? Preflop 3bet for value against what could be a looser isolation range. Then on the flop, I think I can discount some AA-KK combo's which he would mostly just 4bet preflop I think. In general, I think you cannot laydown an overpair with this pot to stack ratio?

iPoker - $0.10 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 101 BB (VPIP: 24.72, PFR: 21.35, 3Bet Preflop: 5.88, Hands: 94)
      UTG: 62.2 BB (VPIP: 15.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 20)
      MP: 121.3 BB (VPIP: 18.57, PFR: 17.14, 3Bet Preflop: 10.34, Hands: 71)
      CO: 70 BB (VPIP: 24.56, PFR: 22.81, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 58)
      BTN: 117 BB (VPIP: 20.61, PFR: 16.03, 3Bet Preflop: 2.00, Hands: 135)
      Hero (SB): 115.5 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has J:club: J:diamond:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, CO calls 1 BB, BTN raises to 5 BB, Hero raises to 15 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 10 BB

Flop: (33 BB, 2 players) 2:club: 7:club: 3:diamond:
      Hero bets 18 BB, BTN raises to 36 BB, Hero raises to 100.5 BB and is all-in,

fold
      Hero shows J:club: J:diamond: (One Pair, Jacks)
      Hero wins 98 BB
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey MoneyStef,

It's true villain may have a wide iso-range here. It's also true that JJ is likely ahead of that iso range. That doesn't necessarily mean you can extract value with JJ here - it depends what range villain is continuing with vs a 3bet, i.e his Ft3bet%.

Usually you should be able to get away from overpairs vs a flop raise at these limits in a 3bet pot. stack-to-pot ratio is not quite low enough that you have to always go broke. It doesn't mean you should always fold either, but typically speaking you should give players credit when they raise flop in 3bet pot.

Flop shove may or may not be ok, it really depends on villain. Standard option (and usually the best play) is to fold vs raise, but it's a pretty decent texture for your hand since there are worse overpairs and FD's you may get action from.
    • MoneyStef
      MoneyStef
      Bronze
      Hi,

He folds 9/11 on 3bets and 4bets 1/11. In this case I should have called pf then rather than raising?

Isn't it a problem that I
      1) risk to get a multiway pot OOP
      2) his isorange contains a lot of A/K/Q-x hands, so although I dominate his iso-range, I am not likely to get a lot of value postflop
      ?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by MoneyStef
      Hi,

He folds 9/11 on 3bets and 4bets 1/11. In this case I should have called pf then rather than raising?

Isn't it a problem that I
      1) risk to get a multiway pot OOP
      2) his isorange contains a lot of A/K/Q-x hands, so although I dominate his iso-range, I am not likely to get a lot of value postflop
      ?
      Yes, it makes sense to call preflop.

1) JJs play well in a multiway pot also. This is because you keep in the UTG/CO fish against who you have huge implied odds if you flop a set. These guys may also pay you off when you have an overpair, something that the BTN reg is less likely to do.

2) In reality you may not get that much value from this guy anyway. And this only gets worse in a 3bet pot when his range is tighter. Even though villain may not call down too light, this is not the only way to extract value. Your range is presumably capped after not 3betting preflop so villain may even cbet/barrel light after he misses the board. Something that he's less likely to do after you 3bet preflop, take the initiative, and make your range look stronger.