[NL2-NL10] NL10 99 vs CO min-raise

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Both Villains were unknown at the time of the hand

Preflop: Couldn't be sure that 3b'ing 99 here for value would be a good idea. I thought that it might ISO myself vs a stronger range so decided to just call and play OOP against a weaker range.

Flop: I think villain will c-bet this flop very often and therefore doesn't always have a Kx here, therefore I decided to x/c and re-evaluate the T. The plan was to x/f to a 2nd barrel, but if he checks behind then I think I will have best hand frequently

Turn: I think I can either bet/fold, x/f here. I don't think I can x/c the T if he 2nd barrels because I think he only does this with TP+ and good draws IP.

The only benefit I could see to donking the T is that I might get value from and protect against draws. Therefore I thought that x/f the T to a 2nd barrel was a better line and if villain x's/beh then I can maybe make a small value bet OTR.

When villain checks behind the T I felt that I had the best hand very often. I think that he does this with something like draws, some pairs > TP and air. Obviously he also x/beh with hands that beat me as well such as TT-QQ.

River: This wasn't the best river for me because I think this hits his range very often. Wasn't sure whether I was planning to x/f or x/c here.

Do you think that a small value bet would be better here? Something like 1/3 to 1/2?

Cheers

Merge - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 100 BB
      BTN: 79.9 BB
      SB: 97.6 BB
      Hero (BB): 100 BB
      UTG: 97 BB
      MP: 81 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB, CO posts DB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.5 BB) Hero has 9:heart: 9:spade:

fold, fold, CO raises to 2 BB, BTN calls 2 BB, fold, Hero calls 1 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 3 players) K:spade: 4:diamond: 5:club:
      Hero checks, CO bets 4.8 BB, fold, Hero calls 4.8 BB

Turn: (16.1 BB, 2 players) 8:diamond:
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: (16.1 BB, 2 players) A:heart:
      Hero checks, CO checks

Hero shows 9:heart: 9:spade: (One Pair, Nines) (Pre 86%, Flop 87%, Turn 75%)
      CO shows 5:diamond: 9:diamond: (One Pair, Fives) (Pre 14%, Flop 13%, Turn 25%)
      Hero wins 15.3 BB
  • 2 replies
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      With the dead money on the pot I tend to prefer the squeeze. But if villains are unknown I think calling is fine also, to play the hand and get info on them etc.

As played it seems ok to me, although I don't necessarily agree with all your train of thought. One thing to remember is that CO's cbeting range will be (or at least should be) slightly stronger since it's a multiway pot.

On the river I don't think you have a value bet, thin or not thin. Against what? Unless he's a fish obv., and still. You would be looking to get called by some random small pairs and pocket pairs which might not even call. But among those there is also TT-JJ, weak Ks and obviously any Ax which will call.

Myself, I'd often ch/c river to let the villain try to represent the A with his trash and bottom pairs at this point as it's not often people will thin bet with Kx (most K would have barreled anyway) and even less with a JJ/TT.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Muel,

Preflop: looks fine OOP vs unknowns. If we 3-bet we generally get called at least by one (and BTN may seem fishy given his stack) so it will be harder to play OOP.

Postflop: As played I think you did everything right. I can't see much value in a turn donk and you'd essentially bet to take the pot down and nothing else.

And as played I can't see value in a river bet, especially with the A now out there.