[NL2-NL10] 0.05/0.10 88.

• mcfly10

is this board ready to 3 barrels? (against FD, 9x
      can he fold Jx? or it was a simple draw, 9x, maybe pockets? since his wtsd is not high, i started the 3rd barrell. i did not want to play x/f.
      this river card made the straight...

could you please analyze all streets?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
      Boss $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2206376
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $6.72
      SB: $2.54
      BB: $9.10
      UTG: $11.96
      MP: $11.28
      [b]Hero (CO): $11.03

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with 8 :spade: 8 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.75) J :heart: 9 :heart: 2 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BTN calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.55) 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BTN calls $0.80

River: ($3.15) Q :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, BTN folds
  • 3 replies
    • mbml

Three barreling here is a big mistake for a few reasons

1) You have 88, this is pretty much the best hand to keep on checking to try getting to showdown. The EV of either check/calling or check/folding will be higher than that of betting. Other than that, pocket pairs are bad candidates to use as part of a 3-barrel bluffing range because they have little equity to improve to the best hand with only 2 outs to hit a set in most circumstances.
      2) The board is really draw heavy which means that you probably shouldn't even be cbetting the Flop with air or weak hands
      3) The River coordinated the board further, improving hands like T8s or QJ/QT. I think it's not a good river to bluff. This is unlike an A9876 board whereby the most likely hand villain has on the River is a hand like AQ/AJ/A2s and 3barreling makes more sense here because villain is likelier to have AX than something like TT/T9

Since this guy doesn't seem to barrel that much, I would prefer check/calling once and giving up on the Turn.

• mcfly10
      is it a mistake, if i start cbet?
      i do not like c/c - c/f line. why do we call once, and fold on turn?

yes, i have showdown value against draws, but he would fold 9x, TT, mybe Jx.
      i agree with you, that this river is not the best card.
      i think if i did not bet the river, he read it, and bet with all busted draws.

my bets (all streets) represents very strong hands, thats why i think he could fold Jx.

so iam confused.
    • mbml
      I think that c/f Flop or c/c c/f Turn or c/c F c/c T c/f River are still going to be more profitable options than 3-barreling for sure.

By betting Flop once and giving up, you are just getting called by all better pairs and draws and you will just get bluffed out of the hand on a later street.

I think betting thrice is spewy, and betting twice while check/folding doesn't accomplish much as well.

Basically you are using 88 as a bluff catcher here, which is what it really is. It's not strong enough to bet for value which makes betting a bad idea. So you start by check/calling the Flop, and you fold when you think villain no longer has enough bluffs in his range for you to make a profitable call.