Power of positive thinking

• 4 replies
    • Nejc351
      Nejc351
      Bronze
      Didnt saw the whole video but i saved it. I think positive thinking is good for mindset in poker and in life overall. But still i think in poker it's just a random and our stupid brains :D And there is not much you can do. You can hope you can pray but it's not up to you :)

But still there are things in life, when you wish something so hard you will achive it. As a example, it's stupid but still :D I always wanted a "special car" when i was little, not supercar or anything. Just a golf GTI jubi edition. I looked at the car from when i was little and i tought i will never own this car. But then i got my licence, got my first GTI, not the right one, but after 2 years, the same golf GTI i was looking when i was little was for sale for solid money. I sold my old car and buy my dream car wich i still drive today :D Its quite funny when i think now :D
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      How about the power of negative thinking?

Thinking about a positive outcome gives one a feeling that is similar to having already achieved that outcome, giving less incentive to do the work to try and achieve that outcome.
      Thinking about a negative outcome gives you strength to face uncertainty and prepare you to act in a good way when things dont go your way.

Here's a test. Try and not think about a polar bear for 1 minute. 3... 2.... 1.... GO!!

How did you do? You couldn't do it, could you? The more you try and block things out the more you dwell on them.
      Trying to block out negative thoughts and only think positive thought actually make you dwell more on the negative. ANd you think about them, but not in detail, only enough to become fearful and worried by them. It's a destructive feedback loop.

Positive thinking is a sham perpetuated by snake oil salesman and 2nd rate psychologists.

Shit happens. Think about it, prepare for it and you may find it is never as scary or as bad as you imagine.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jules97
      Thinking about a positive outcome gives one a feeling that is similar to having already achieved that outcome, giving less incentive to do the work to try and achieve that outcome.
      Do you actually think like this?
      So if you're like "I want to beat X stakes at poker, because it will be a positive outcome" you will just get a feeling similar to beating it and just sit in your chair smiling at your screensaver, instead of actually playing and studying? I don't think so.

Thinking "I can't do this" is way more disincentivizing than thinking you can, at least for me it is, because then I just won't try.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Originally posted by metza
      Originally posted by jules97
      Do you actually think like this?
      So if you're like "I want to beat X stakes at poker, because it will be a positive outcome" you will just get a feeling similar to beating it and just sit in your chair smiling at your screensaver, instead of actually playing and studying? I don't think so.

Thinking "I can't do this" is way more disincentivizing than thinking you can, at least for me it is, because then I just won't try.
      Your example is moreso one of goal setting than positive thinking.