$9,98
      MP3:
      $9,45
      CO:
      $16,02
      BU:
      $1,96

0,05/0,1 No-Limit Hold'em (9 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.58 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K:heart: , A:spade:
      UTG+1 folds, Hero raises to $0,40, 3 folds, CO calls $0,40, 3 folds.

Flop: ($0,95) T:diamond: , 7:diamond: , K:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0,60, CO calls $0,60.

Turn: ($2,15) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $1,55 (All-In), CO folds.

Final Pot: $3,70

What is the correct action on turn ? I think I screwed it up by betting 2/3 pot, I think one could extract more value from this hand.
  • 8 replies
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Preflop: Correct.
      Flop: The board is extremely drawy, so just must protect your TPTK against possible flush/straight draws here. So you should make a potsized bet here.

Then he doesn't get the odds to call with a flush draw or a straight draw (only with a flush AND a straight draw). If he does it will be profitable for you on the long run.

On this turn it's an easy push.

But my question to the judge is, what do you do if you make a potsized bet, get called and the turn is a :diamond: ?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      I would push here to protect my hand because the longer you let others draw here the bigger is the chance that they get the flush or might have already ?:P
      Lets see what judges advice :P
      Bronze
      Yes veriz, very nice analysys. I like pushing in such situations just because many people have yheir weak one card draws and would like to draw on me, which I can't let them do profitable.

But here your stack is way too big for direct push. Remember, you need to take into account being against made flush, and overbetting isn't such a good idea here. I like the line in the game, although I'd bet more like pot size on such flops (regardless of hitting of not hitting).
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 098799
      ... I like the line in the game, although I'd bet more like pot size on such flops (regardless of hitting of not hitting).
      Can you please elaborate which flops you had in mind ? Do you mean 3 cards of same suit or a basis for OESD ? Thanks
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Let's show my judge-mindreading-skills here again :D

He means boards that are rather drawy, so for example 3 cards of the same suit as in this flop.
      Or a board with KQJ, JTA and other kinds of boards that allow straight draws.

There is some kind of "heuristic" for this:
      1 opponent, no draws: 2/3 pot
      >1 opponent, no draws: 3/4 pot
      1 opponent, draw possibilities: 3/4 pot
      >1 opponent, draw possibilities: pot

So it's all about protecting your hand when there are draws on the board. Then you don't give your opponent the chance of getting good odds when calling for his draw.

Then again my question to the judge:

But my question to the judge is, what do you do if you make a potsized bet, get called and the turn is a :diamond: ?
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      DeKuip : thanks for "heuristic", it is new for me and definitely worth noting :)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Werkon
      DeKuip : thanks for "heuristic", it is new for me and definitely worth noting :)
      It's not really something I strictly followed. Because deciding whether a board is drawy or not isn't something that is done objectively.

But this is just a guideline, so that you know when 2/3 / 3/4 / 1/1 potbets are made. Every situation is unique, so you'll have to figure those things out yourself :)
    • xylere
      xylere
      Bronze

In this case pot will be 2.85 and we have 1.2 left
      -> ~ 23% breakeven equity -> easy push, but don't expect it to be very profitable

I shove flop here

That huge overbet looks a bit ugly of course, but its still better, imo

Leave the table to avoid all this though