S'nG Steps - DIY?

• bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      I like the idea of trying step satellites to big events, but it's really frustrating to play from level one, finally get to level three or four and bust out with nothing in return but a lot of wasted time. The big disadvantage of steps is that you can't trade or cash the tickets, and might spend hours trying to get the event ticket in vain fighting a lot of frustrating players that don't know how to play the bubble for example.

I thought about a more conservative steps strategy, that could be almost as profitable as winning the steps, but with the advantage of cashing out at any time.

I figure playing steps is equivalent to setting aside a small bankroll for spinning up levels.

Step1 $6.5 (27/16/11) 1st = step2+ step1, 2nd = step2, 3d = 2x step1
      Step2:$16 (67/40/27) 1st = 2x step3, 2nd = step3 + step2, 3d = step3
      Step3: $27 (112/67/45) 1st = ~2xstep 4 etc..
      Step4: $60 (247/148/99)
      Step5: $114 (472/283/189)
      Step6: $225 (945/567/378)

Advantages:

-You can cash out anytime you like, or try again for a step 1 buyin
      -You get two chances at the next level if you win, and extra chances at lower levels if you place
      -The buy in gradient is much smaller, making the jump in skill encountered easier to handle (especially with extra chances)
      -You're more likely to encounter the regular players at those limits (can be good or bad but will help your future game experience at least)
      -You don't have to wait nearly as long for tables to fill up at higher levels.
      - The bubble play is like normal SnG payout structure (the steps kind of average 1st and 2nd place finish with 3rd and sometimes 4th so bubble play is different and sometimes strange there for me)

What do you think? Anyone want to try it (besides me?)
  • 12 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I dont like it, its gambling imo.

You are often going to be playing games above your level of play. Which isn't good for anyone but the regular grinders. IMO theres more $$ to be made, and better experiance to be learnt, if you stick to your normal limit.

Just my opinion though.
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      I agree with you, that's why I stay away from steps no matter how tempting. And as you can see I've tried steps within BRM, but it quickly gets out of BRM with no ability to cash out.

It is gambling either way, if you choose to do steps, maybe this is a better way since you can control your BRM and get out if you find a level is too hard - knowing that you need to improve something.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      BRM is just a steps challenge on a larger scale!
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      I would think about doing this on say a weekend night for extra fun but not all the time as it is basically more like gambling. if yo.u do try it out plz post results.
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Yeh I'm trying for fun mostly, I'd play an MTT for the same buy in as step one, and waste 3 hours to win probably another $6 only...then again, I could play 5 hours and win a lot - but that's rare - plus I was planning on moving up a level soon so might as well get some tries at step 2 if I can.

I'll let u know how it goes if I try it. Sunday might be a good time ;)

@cannell don't worry, I have BRM for step 3 almost ;) Step 4, I'm probably out.
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Won on my first try (thinking I should go back to 9max after all that 6max practice I've had)

Now I play 16$ and if I'm busted, I still have 11$

I could choose to stay at step 2 for a while (it's good BRM for me now I think ~60BI?)

I could also go straight to step 3, but I don't want to skip any.
    • camicio
      camicio
      Bronze
      http://walterzuey.livejournal.com/35457.html
      it's for the old 12-55-2xx-5xx-1xxx steps structure, but it's probably about the same thing now

and yeah you should just stick to a limit you know you beat, if there is more than one find the one where your hourly gain is best, even if your ROI might be lower
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      Thanks for the links

I have no real desire to play the steps, but I do like the idea of pushing levels before moving up. I'm out before I hit step 4.. in the steps tourney, I would probably have a difficult time with step 5.

So, ya best not to play steps, but pushing the levels a bit with tight BRM isn't so bad. If I find I like 16$ better than $6.50 it'll be a good result (so far I do)

I'm bouncing around step 2 now on my experiment, if I lose here I go back to step 1 again. So far gained 40FPP also.
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      I decided to stay at step 2 for a while - actually enjoying it more than the 6$ games. I''ll play a few more games at this level (so long as I don't lose them all)
      and see how my BRM is for moving up to level three.

I won step one right away, I came 3rd step 2 the first time but tried it again after winning another step1. I then won 2 step2 games in a row, and only finished 2nd in another after I DISCONNECTED HU AFTER JUST GAINING THE BIG CHIP LEAD and HUGE BLINDS !!!11! So, to save me from going on tilt - I stopped there. By the time I got back in, my 11K lead was gone, and I was second place.

So far I've won money in 'step 2' 4 out of 7 times. Two wins, one 2nd and one 3rd. My 'experiment' so far has me up 140$ which completely erases my small downswing and then some (see sharkscope - cyclotronic)

Some advantages I've noticed:

- you can play more than one level or game at a time
      - you are more motivated to win since there's a more immediate chance of moving up and you are not playing levels that are so small compared to your bankroll. (I was playing like 120BI which was conservative)
      - if you find you like a level, you can stay there for a while and build BR for the next step.

So in a sense, I've turned the steps into a slightly more liberal BRM for me - and found that I can do well at the 16$ level. If I win a few more 16$ I'm going to try at least one 27$ game (I would almost have 40BI and I'm curious to see how I do at that level)
    • bender834
      bender834
      Bronze
      can you please explain me how this works, the steps and stuff. i dont get it.

What tourneys are you playing?
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      It's not really steps.. I just didn't want to play the steps because you can't opt out at any level - also it's set up to make more money for the poker site than anything I think.

Check the pokerstars.com promotions page for the WCOOP steps.. it has diagrams showing how you advance, or replay steps.. the structures vary a little. The goal is to move up each successive higher buy in step until you win a ticket to a major event (which you can sell or play)

At level 5 you encounter people that buy in to that level and it's very hard to win if you're not familiar with that level of play (so I hear) also you're scared cause it's way out of BRM at that point (in my case)

All games were 9max turbo sng on stars.

1: 6.5$ sng turbo - 1st
      2: 16$ sng turbo - bust
      3: 6.5$ sng turbo - 3rd
      4: 16$ sng turbo - 3rd
      5: 6.5$ sng turbo - 2nd
      6: 16$ sng turbo - 1st
      7: 16$ sng turbo -1st
      8: 16$ sng turbo - bust
      9: 16$ sng turbo - bust
      10: 16$ sng turbo - 2nd*

*disconnect loss :(
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      I've had a look at your layout quite abit. I still prefer grinding a limit you know you beat. If you are going to try this, then you need a stop point. You need a clear goal, and when you hit this, you need to start at step 1 again. Otherwise your roll will be at a huge risk.

Best of luck!
      Stiev