00471 Stands Up One More Time Than the Rest

Bronze
      This is acutally the second time that I make a blog in the English section. The first one actually died pretty quickly, in spite of the fact that my blog at the my national Polish section has been regularly updated since a long time.

Anyway, my name is Mateusz and I'm 26 years old. I play poker for about a year now (not counting learning it for about a month before Black Friday) but without desired success. I play 6-max NLHE. NL50 was the highest that I played but it wasn't more than two weeks. I have some experience with fast poker and I personally like it. Due to a difficult situation at work and lack of progress, I recently decided to cash out and start fresh at microstakes. A guy that used to post at my blog (the Polish one, ofc,) ilidek, has meanwhile started to achieve a bit at poker. So I figured I'd try a similar approach to his. My English is not perfect but better than his. I hope that my game will one day be better as well ;)

So, this is yet another "chance" that I'm giving myself. I can't really get myself to quit a game that I feel I am able to crush.

My plans in a nutshell:
      :diamond: During the next two weeks play a lot and analyse hands about 1/5 of the time that I play. I've got my final exams at IT studies for the next two weeks, so I'll have to focus on that a bit.
      :diamond: After my exams are over, focus on hand reading and counting down variations. I want to become proficient at it.
      :diamond: Regular posting at my blog every day. Will be hard during the next two weekends, which will be 12-14hrs at school, but an aim is an aim.
      :diamond: Learning new concepts will not be a priority for now, since I was told multiple times that I actually know very much about poker. What I fuck up at is probably synthesizing my knowledge and putting theory into practice. I have a very good friend that's one of the best Polish FR and SH players, who is always willing to help me out a bit and his precise words are, "you're a mistery, I can't really figure out why you're still not a regular winner yet."
      :diamond: Continue a healthy lifestyle! If poker thought me anything during the last year, it was this. I began working out, eating well, sleeping well, working on my mindset.
      :diamond: If after 90 days I will not make visible progress, it's time to re-evaluate. Maybe then I'll finally quit to chase my dream of a poker pro, who knows.

For now I will try to build bankroll at fast poker NL4/5, either on FastForward or Zoom, will have to decide today. I hope to beat those stakes pretty fast.

During the next few days, I will most likely post more personal details about myself to let the English community know me better.

Wish me luck :f_cool:
  • 56 replies
    • NathanDavidLee
      NathanDavidLee
      Bronze
      I wish you all the best!

However...Exams are important dude. In my opinion I think you should solely focus on your studys. You said they haven't got long left anyway right?!

Crush the exams and then really sit down and focus on your game!

Remember variance is a bitch and even the pros go down across a 90 day period. Just keep that in mind. Don't be too result orientated ;)

Good lucky buddy. I'll be watching for sure! :D
    • belthazorrrr
      belthazorrrr
      Bronze
      There is no ''pro'' who is loosing for 90 days

Gl man
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 00471
      A guy that used to post at my blog (the Polish one, ofc,) ilidek, has meanwhile started to achieve a bit at poker. So I figured I'd try a similar approach to his. My English is not perfect but better than his.
      Dude, Fuck You! :f_biggrin:

Write something about yourself. Post somewhere this cool quote that you have as a tilte of your Polish blog and crush everyone.

GL!
    • NathanDavidLee
      NathanDavidLee
      Bronze
      Guess gus hansen isn't a pro then.
      Bronze
      Thanks you for the first posts, guys!

@NathanDavidLee - what I meant by visible progress is more of a confidence thing. Being sure that I made the best play despite the scores. For instance, I sometimes find myself reading the opponents range pretty well but not executing the best move vs that range, since I'm not 100% confident of my skills. Eg. I'm thinking, "I don't think he called down 2 streets w/ A-high in a 3b pot OOP and he hasn't got a single value combination, but what if?" And I fold. Or, "I think he has a 2nd pair-type of hand and he's a fish with low WTS, he doesn't realise that if the second K fell on the River, I'm actually less likely to have one," but I don't bet anyway, since I'm not confident of my hand reading. This is also a mindset issue but that improves with experience.

Answering to ilidek's post at my *.pl blog - thanks for the advice, mate! As for the cashout - I do realise that this is wasting precious time, but I have no other option at this moment. I consider depositing something back on my poker if my situation gets better, but for now I'm feeling much more stable with the cash on my Polish bank account and ready to use than the poker account.

You said that I should focus on the elements that often occur, like stealing and CBetting. I think stealing is the strongest thing in my game. At PP NL25, iPoker NL20 I was probably the most aggro reg on the BTN. I could work on playing from the CO. CBetting, however, is a key issue. According to yac, I should work on hand selection for that play and game planning. In order to do that I want to be sure most or all of the time, which better hands am I trying to fold out by the Turn or River and which worse hands do I want value from. This is why I want to focus on hand reading. I think this is a natural evolution of my game and the next big thing I should become proficient at.

I'm hoping for at least some feedback from you =) Please, if you think I'm bullshitting or completely wrong at something, feel free to state it, either here or on my Polish blog, which title is (writing that on your request,) "if you're going through hell, keep going."

That goes for all of you, readers. See you all until the evening :f_cool:

ps. I'll try to make my notes quick and clean, since I have a tendency to write longs posts ;)
      Bronze
      Three hours of play on NL5 Zoom with some change that I had lying around PokerStars. The scores aren't overwhelming, to say the least. I find it very odd to play readless vs weak players after such a long time. Will have to adjust. When I'll have 30 BI's, I'll move to NL10 and definitely be getting a hand subscription. That's 26 BI's to win at NL5.

BR: 173,47 $

Done some hand analysis, uploaded 4 hands on the forum. I can see a lot of issues during a SR.

Some personal info, which will give you some knowledge about me and my motivation: 26 years old, engaged and living with my girlfriend, the first fruit of our love is... a russian blue cat. The forum signature at my Polish PokerStrategy.com section goes like: Given the scientific evidence, knowledge of history and the world, I believe that the church is evil and drugs are good.

Now time for some breathing exercises and that wraps up day 1, I guess.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      don't forget about small blind :f_cool:

You can even make profit from SB. It's my stats from NL25 at stars.
      Bronze
      Just watched The Count of Monte Christo, which was a part of homework from Champions Stand Up One More Time Than the Rest. I delayed watching it a few... months. And as I expected, it was a waste of time. Everyone that knows me well says that I don't have a motivational problem but a technical or approach problem.

I did also watch the third part of the Raskolnikov series. Everything aside, I didn't want to do it before I watch the movie. Ilidek, motherfucker, want to be my accountability partner? You could donate the cash to the church if I'll fuck up. But I wouldn't count on that. Let me know.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Yeah sure. It works great for me and Franeczek. Sometimes when you don't feel like doing something it helps you, you swear a lot, you're unhappy with it but you still do it. I don't have any motivational problems too but I still think it helps.

I was procastinating with watching this movie for 3 months :f_biggrin: I have big problems with watching movies.

If something bad happen I'll take care about money, don't worry :s_cool:
      Bronze
      I'll PM you the details the moment I come up with two new habits. I'll probably pick only one and two more aims that I also want to achieve. But that may be delayed until after my exams.

As for today, almost 4k hands, 1 hr of analysis, I'm still b/e, with losing a couple of BIs on zoom and winning them back on the standard tables. I'm probably done with zoom and moving to normal tables. <captain obvious>fishes are much less nitty on normal tables<captain obvious' work is done here>. Didn't expect being b/e on NL5 after 6k h, but lost three whole stacks in bad beats or coolers, so I'm not pretty confident about my play nonetheless.

BR: 174,71 $

NL5 is hillarious, not sure about the pf 4b sizing, but decided to go small not to scare him and yac would probably trash me if I played that one bigger xD
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $12.93 (258.6 bb)
      Hero (CO): $5.29 (105.8 bb)
      BTN: $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $9.79 (195.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K:diamond: K:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.15, BTN folds, SB raises to $0.25, BB folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.25) 5:diamond: 3:diamond: 6:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $4.70, Hero calls $4.69 and is all-in

Turn: ($10.63) T:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($10.63) 6:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $10.63 pot ($0.44 rake)
      Final Board: 5:diamond: 3:diamond: 6:diamond: T:spade: 6:spade:
      Hero showed K:diamond: K:spade: and won $10.19 ($4.90 net)
      SB showed 2:diamond: 2:spade: and won $0.00 (-$5.29 net)

vs a likely fish, did consider a xback F here, but I decided to protect my hand and hopefully get floated by A-highs/2OC/A4 or A2
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BTN: $2.51 (50.2 bb)
      SB: $2.80 (56 bb)
      BB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $5.41 (108.2 bb)
      MP: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      CO: $9.12 (182.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 7:diamond: 7:spade:
      Hero raises to $0.20, 4 folds, BB calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.42) 5:spade: J:club: 3:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.26, BB calls $0.26

Turn: ($0.94) 7:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.76, BB raises to $2, Hero raises to $4.95 and is all-in, BB calls $2.54 and is all-in

River: ($10.02) T:club: (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $10.02 pot ($0.42 rake)
      Final Board: 5:spade: J:club: 3:diamond: 7:club: T:club:
      BB showed 6:diamond: 4:diamond: and won $9.60 ($4.60 net)
      Hero showed 7:diamond: 7:spade: and lost (-$5 net)

<instert a f#$%ng zoom comment here>

Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $5.46 (109.2 bb)
      BB: $7.50 (150 bb)
      UTG: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      MP: $1.91 (38.2 bb)
      CO: $1.07 (21.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K:spade: A:diamond:
      UTG raises to $0.15, MP calls $0.15, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB folds, BB calls $0.55, UTG folds, MP calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.97) 8:diamond: A:club: 4:club: (3 players)
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero bets $1.36, BB calls $1.36, MP folds

Turn: ($4.69) 5:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $3.04 and is all-in, BB calls $3.04

River: ($10.77) 3:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $10.77 pot ($0.45 rake)
      Final Board: 8:diamond: A:club: 4:club: 5:heart: 3:heart:
      Hero showed K:spade: A:diamond: and lost (-$5 net)
      BB showed 5:spade: A:spade: and won $10.32 ($5.32 net)

overbet Turn? Gave up the idea, since the board isn't THAT drawy and I only had a few hands for the guy, who had searching him blocked. Would OB here if I had at least 20-30-something hands or if I knew he was one tabling.

Hero (BTN): $10.12 (202.4 bb)
      SB: $3.98 (79.6 bb)
      BB: $8.51 (170.2 bb)
      UTG: $6.09 (121.8 bb)
      MP: $5.09 (101.8 bb)
      CO: $7.10 (142 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 5:heart: 5:spade:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, SB folds, BB calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.22) K:diamond: 8:club: 5:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.18, BB calls $0.18

Turn: ($0.58) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.54, BB calls $0.54

River: ($1.66) 6:heart: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.36, BB calls $1.36

Results: $4.38 pot ($0.18 rake)
      Final Board: K:diamond: 8:club: 5:club: 5:diamond: 6:heart:
      Hero showed 5:heart: 5:spade: and won $4.20 ($2.02 net)
      BB mucked 8:heart: 9:club: and lost (-$2.18 net)
      Bronze
      I'd like to be famous and highly admired one day. I could then post on my facebook wall controversial, 4-chan like humour and no one would think that I'm socially awkward, but a cool dude :f_biggrin:
      Bronze
      So, I have this fishy-looking guy sitting at my right, right? Guess what happens.

Act 1.

MP: $1.34 (26.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $9.96 (199.2 bb)
      BTN: $5.10 (102 bb)
      SB: $5.08 (101.6 bb)
      BB: $4 (80 bb)
      UTG: $2.82 (56.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9:spade: 9:heart:
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.05, Hero raises to $1.50, 3 folds, MP calls $1.29 and is all-in

Flop: ($2.75) K:club: J:heart: 8:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($2.75) 8:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($2.75) A:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $2.75 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: K:club: J:heart: 8:spade: 8:heart: A:heart:
      MP showed Q:heart: J:spade: and won $2.64 ($1.30 net)
      Hero showed 9:spade: 9:heart: and won $0.00 (-$1.34 net)

I guess that 99 was ok vs his wide calling range.

Act 2.
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

SB: $2.36 (47.2 bb)
      Hero (BB): $8.26 (165.2 bb)
      MP: $7.63 (152.6 bb)
      CO: $4.99 (99.8 bb)
      BTN: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9:heart: 9:spade:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.15, Hero raises to $8.26, SB calls $2.21 and is all-in

Flop: ($4.72) 7:club: 8:diamond: A:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: ($4.72) K:heart: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($4.72) 4:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $4.72 pot ($0.20 rake)
      Final Board: 7:club: 8:diamond: A:spade: K:heart: 4:diamond:
      SB showed J:heart: J:club: and won $4.52 ($2.16 net)
      Hero showed 9:heart: 9:spade: and lost (-$2.36 net)

Wasn't 100% sure about that one, but since his calling range is SO wide and I have a decent hand...

Act. 3
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

CO: $4.52 (90.4 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $5.95 (119 bb)
      SB: $7.58 (151.6 bb)
      BB: $4.99 (99.8 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with T:spade: J:spade:
      MP folds, CO calls $0.05, Hero raises to $0.20, 2 folds, CO calls $0.15

Flop: ($0.47) K:heart: Q:club: A:spade: (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $5.75 and is all-in, CO calls $4.32

Turn: ($9.11) 4:diamond: (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($9.11) 5:spade: (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: $9.11 pot ($0.38 rake)
      Final Board: K:heart: Q:club: A:spade: 4:diamond: 5:spade:
      CO showed Q:diamond: 3:diamond: and lost (-$4.52 net)
      Hero showed T:spade: J:spade: and won $8.73 ($4.21 net)

Talk about leveling.
      Bronze
      Pretty productive day, although I cannot give you the exact number of hands I played, since I played some of them in the morning on another PC and I haven't copied them yet. It was about 2,5-3k in total. Analysed some hands for just 30 minutes, but discussed some of them with Bogdan on the hand evaluation forum. Discussion assures me that I still got plenty of work to do about my game.

Studied for my Saturday exams a bit. Will have to devote more time to it tomorrow, so I might play just a little bit. Not much time to write large notes on the blog too. I hope to write a bit more after the exams (27th May and later on.)

BR: 194,25 $
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Originally posted by 00471
      I'll PM you the details the moment I come up with two new habits. I'll probably pick only one and two more aims that I also want to achieve. But that may be delayed until after my exams.
      Sure, let me know when you are ready.

gz those twenty bucks
      Bronze
      What's 20 bucks?

Anyway, it seems that I won't manage to play any hands today, since I just got some extra work to do. Maybe I'll squeeze in some analysis time, but it seems to me that until Monday there won't be much poker time. I may prepare and print out some hand histories and count variations during classes tomorrow on lectures, which are just time wasters :P I'll probably post something in the evening or tomorrow morning.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      from BR: 174,71 $
      to BR: 194,25 $

Btw I use some programs to track literally everything. From gym to things I do on my laptop so brace yourself :s_cool:
      Bronze
      What I meant was there's nothing to congratulate. It's NL5. I won like 10 coca-colas :D You can start congratulating me when I'll be a winning reg at NL100. Then I'll know, I've made progress.
    • ilidek
      ilidek
      Bronze
      Ah yeah now I get it . Don't forget that 20$ is still ~10% your BR :f_biggrin:
      Bronze
      Writing from my classes now. My exams went very well and I'm looking forward for the next weekend, when I'll have the most important ones. Nothing too difficult, will just have to devote some time to it.

No poker/analysis time at all, though. Wanted to do some variation counting at a lecture that turned out to be exercises :~(

Nothing interesting but still keeping the promise of making daily notes and documenting ever day.