[NL20-NL50] K6o A hi

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      iPoker - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 122.7 BB
      UTG: 321.28 BB (VPIP: 24.49, PFR: 22.45, 3Bet Preflop: 10.00, Hands: 50)
      CO: 103.5 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 14.81, 3Bet Preflop: 2.27, Hands: 193)
      BTN: 109.34 BB (VPIP: 23.81, PFR: 20.63, 3Bet Preflop: 7.67, Hands: 3,791)
      SB: 149.84 BB (VPIP: 19.83, PFR: 15.99, 3Bet Preflop: 7.85, Hands: 472)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 8:heart: K:spade:

fold, fold, BTN raises to 2.5 BB, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB

Flop: (5.5 BB, 2 players) K:heart: 6:diamond: A:diamond:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 4 BB, Hero calls 4 BB

Turn: (13.5 BB, 2 players) T:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 12 BB, Hero calls 12 BB

River: (37.5 BB, 2 players) 9:club:
      Hero checks, BTN bets 30 BB, fold

BTN wins 35.64 BB

His range is 60% bu, and I am not sure if I should call turn? He is so often barreling like this, also always this sizing.
  • 3 replies
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey GingerKid,

I think preflop call is unnecessary even vs tight range. Sure, you are flipping vs a 60% range with K8o, so mathematically there will be an argument for it. Preflop odds usually aren't that important though, far more important are postflop reverse-implieds and the fact that you will be OOP. In practice you typically make more money in these spots by under-defending than defending mathematical optimum. Fold preflop imo.

c/c flop vs high cbet is fine. If villain always barreled you could consider c/f or c/r instead.

c/f turn, you will have better bluffcatchers in this spot + you don't close the action and may need to face large river bet.
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by w34z3l
      Hey GingerKid,

I think preflop call is unnecessary even vs tight range. Sure, you are flipping vs a 60% range with K8o, so mathematically there will be an argument for it. Preflop odds usually aren't that important though, far more important are postflop reverse-implieds and the fact that you will be OOP. In practice you typically make more money in these spots by under-defending than defending mathematical optimum. Fold preflop imo.

c/c flop vs high cbet is fine. If villain always barreled you could consider c/f or c/r instead.

c/f turn, you will have better bluffcatchers in this spot + you don't close the action and may need to face large river bet.
      I agree about what you said.
      I started defending this wide vs bu min raise, because of this article in platinum http://de.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/2258/1/

It is available only in german, but there are only tables so you don't need to understand german. It suggest to call so wide vs bu open. So because of that I started calling wider (before folding or 3bet most of the time), but find it difficult to play vs aggro people also when I hit or dont hit.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by GingerKid
      It is available only in german, but there are only tables so you don't need to understand german. It suggest to call so wide vs bu open. So because of that I started calling wider (before folding or 3bet most of the time), but find it difficult to play vs aggro people also when I hit or dont hit.
      Yeah, mathematically/theoretically you should defend. In practice I don't think you should.

Even if you under-defend you will likely still make a lot of profit from villain who has difficulty playing his super-wide range. However if you expand your own range to the point that is theoretically optimum pre-flop, often it will be difficult to play perfectly - and you may make less money in the long-run.

It's reads dependent also. The more info you have on villain the more profitable it becomes to defend marginal hands. There are far more important factors than preflop odds/equity.