[NL20-NL50] AJ bvb face 3bet on paired board

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $23.87 (119.4 bb)
      BTN: $20.57 (102.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): $39.87 (199.3 bb)
      BB: $28.53 (142.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A J
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BB calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.20) Q Q J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.80, BB raises to $2.10, Hero calls $1.30

Turn: ($5.40) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $3.80, Hero calls $3.80

River: ($13) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $9, Hero folds

Results:
      $13 pot ($0.65 rake)
      Final Board: Q Q J 3 7
      Hero mucked A J and lost (-$6.50 net)
      BB mucked and won $12.35 ($5.85 net)

what kind of options do i have on the flop? is the turn call too spewy?
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey L,

I would not be that thrilled about cbetting here.. Would probably check/call without a bit of a better idea of my opponent.

As played, calling the flop is OK imo. Turn call is marginal but if you call the turn, you arein a spot where you should call most of the time on a blank river too. If you assume you are ahead enough of his betting range on the turn when an actual bad card comes, then you need him to give up on many many bluffs on the river for you to justify this play which doesn't happen that often and it's not good to have a preset idea of him definitely being exploitable by you by calling turn and folding river on a blank should not be your default.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Why can't i cbet this? doesn't he have a lot of draws that i want to protect against? And if i c/c this flop what would be my plan for the rest of the hand? What line would you have taken? c/c flop with what further intentions on what different turns?

and then as played from turn onwards? just c/f?

yeah i don't like the c/c turn, c/f flop at all but to some extent i think his river barrel range is a lot narrower than his turn barrel range. In retrospect i prefer just giving up on the scare card and yeah i agree that as a default this is pretty bad and is a big leak of mine and the reason my blue line is so low.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      How big of a part are draws in his range? You cannot bet just because there are draws on the board. They have to be a significant part in your opponent's range and they have to not be outweighed by better hands. All this non-sense about betting for protection makes people justify a lot of spewy plays. Protection is never really a reason for betting, it's a consequence. Whenever someone says they bet for protection, you can always add a better reason like value, balance/range construction purposes.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Ok that's fine so I won't worry about protecting on this board. At any rate what would be my plan from the get go. On the flop when I look at this board i feel that I'm ahead of most of his range but playing a passive line seems quite weak.

And if i c/c this flop what would be my plan for the rest of the hand? What line would you have taken? c/c flop with what further intentions on what different turns?

and then as played from turn onwards? just c/f?