Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has J:spade: A:spade:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.30, SB calls $0.25, fold

Flop: ($0.70, 2 players) 9:heart: Q:heart: T:diamond:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.50, SB calls $0.50

Turn: ($1.70, 2 players) 4:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $1.20, SB calls $1.20

River: ($4.10, 2 players) 5:club:
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.80, SB calls $2.80

I bet 3 barrels bluff as I wanted him to fold AK, AJ, KT, JTs, maybe even Qx. I assumed he would play strong hands with some raise or at least donk given our late positions and him being OOP. Think it could be smth more on the river.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi GreenPiece

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Given how the turn and river came down I think you are making a spewy play to 3-barrel here. Almost no pair folds and most draws are weaker than our hand so folding them is not a priority.

I would just check back the turn.
    • GreenPiece
      GreenPiece
      Bronze
      Somewhat similar hand but weaker draw:
      2NL ZOOM - A7 sooted
      And the opponent had the exact hand I wanted him to fold. But there were no 3 barrels there.

And one more from the test:
      MP ($100.00) (35/10/1.0/28/650) [VPIP/PFR/AF/WTS/Hands]

Preflop: Hero is BB with A :diamond: , J :diamond:
      1 fold, MP calls $1.00, 3 folds, Hero raises to $5.50, MP calls $4.50, 1 fold

Flop: ($11.50) K :heart: , T :club: , 6 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $9.00, MP calls $9.00

Turn: ($29.50) 8 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero ?

The author suggests to barrel here but says c\c is very well possible. Obviously it's the strongest draw from all of 3 samples. But he doesn't say anything about our river play in case the opponent just calls.

I want to understand the fundamental difference...

1st sample (my hand): we have less pot equity on the turn as only one card left and fold equity doesn't increase neither. However at these stakes people rarely fire 3 barrels bluff and we still have around 8 outs, that's what I was thinking about when firing both turn & river.

2nd sample (hand in neighbor thread): pot equity increases but fold equity doesn't, I think we should have 3rd barrel in our plan if firing this turn, otherwise it's better to c\c or even c\f from turn.

3rd sample (hand from test): pot equity increases and now it's pretty significant with at least outs to FD and GS but fold equity doesn't, still we have option to barrel.

So from what I see... If our equity increases so that we have at least 8 outs we can consider betting, probably 2 streets, right? If our pot equity doesn't increase (and neither fold equity does) we are better off checking. What to do on the river in the sample from test and am I right about summary play on turn?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      In the A7 example you will rarely get anyone to fold that type of hand given turn/river.

In the other example the limit is different so it plays a bit differently.

However the reason the author suggests that checking is good is because you usually don't have any FE when you bet the turn so you are building the pot with a draw that hits only one in 4 times...

At these limits 3 barrel bluffs when FE doesn't increase (no scare cards come down) is just a waste of money.

You also do not take into account villain type which is super important for spots like this. Fish are the ones you want to avoid bluffing.