[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL50 JTs

• DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $68.64 (137.3 bb)
      SB: $57.27 (114.5 bb)
      BB: $93.56 (187.1 bb)
      Hero (MP): $53.15 (106.3 bb)
      CO: $50.33 (100.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J T
      Hero raises to $1.50, CO calls $1.50, BTN calls $1.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($5.25) Q K 6 (3 players)
      Hero bets $3.35, CO calls $3.35, BTN calls $3.35

Turn: ($15.30) A (3 players)
      Hero bets $10, CO folds, BTN raises to $28.50, Hero???

BTN:http://pbrd.co/YTYEtd (46/32/9, aggro fish)

What should we play here vs an aggro fish? He reps flush, but a lot of flushdraws blocked, and he is aggro on the turn, raises 19% IP.
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey D,

It's super tough spot. I would think it's close between folding and get it.. I could not be definite about either of those options.

What is your usual cbetting range on that flop and what is the range you reach the turn with? Since you are not facing a super call happy player, what do you think about how your checking range on the turn should look like?

This specific hand is good to vbet and I think you can lean more towards getting it in but I think it's an interesting range construction situation.
    • DarkAwi
      DarkAwi
      Bronze
      I cbet TP+ and OESD/FD. Usually I don't cbet here oop weak bd draw hands like AdJx, and AdTx mw with a fish in the pot.

On this turn I bet/fold 2 pairs, bet/call with set if he minraises. My checking range would be KJs, maybe KTs (not always open it, only when a fish like this is at the table), and I'd check/fold these. And with straight I bet, but not sure about bet/broke or bet/fold. Usually these aggro guys are capable of raising here QxJd,KxJd,AxJd and such, sometimes some slowplay maybe or an overplayed 2 pair, but not sure how many flushes can he have so can't really give him a range.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      You should think about check/calling a few more hands I think, not just Kx because that's a very weak range.. Maybe KQ, 66 just to have some hands that can check/call twice. That's why I thought about JT as well but it's too strong to do that so betting for value with it is better .
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      That's such a common spot it seems, and I'm often lost in it.

How can we play:

a) AQ
      b) AJ
      c) AA
      d) Kx
      e) a hand like J :diamond: 9 :diamond:

on flop and turn?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      The weaker our hand, the harder it is to get value from it because the flush completing card definitely improves our opponent's range a reasonable amount. At the same time, it makes it tougher for him to call with a hand like Kx, Qx so we get less value than on the flop.

The way to go imo is to base what you know on calling tendencies and river play:

- calls a lot all the way -> vbet any 2pair+, fold a lot vs raises.
      - bets often on turns -> check a stronger range because you don't miss value with, say a set or 2pair.
      - calls turns and then super passive on river but doesn't bluff or call light -> vbet fairly wide again and play honest game on river by vbetting tighter since he doesn't call much, don't check/call much, maybe a few AK, AQ hands since he can bluff a bit and vbet KQ, AQ himself.

Against this specific player we know (though not super reliable) that he is aggressive on the turn so we do beat quite a bit of his range because we beat anything that's not a flush.