[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH 99 - BB defense

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain was unknown at the time of the hand

Preflop:Standard flat vs unknown. I don't think I can 3b for value and value bet many flops obviously, so just call for set value and can play for value on some low boards when I flop an OP.

Flop: Since I would expect villains CO o/r range to be wide and weak I think that I can still have the best hand here. So I guess I have a couple of options : x/rai bluff, donk the flop, x/f, x/c and re-evaluate T.

I chose to x/c and re-evaluate the T because:
      1) I think I still have the best hand here some of the time and don't think that I have to turn my hand into a bluff yet
      2) I do have some backdoors and the plan was to x/f vs continued aggression

In hindsight I think I might just x/f flops without a set or OP because I end up just donking off money OOP when I don't know where I am or how to play Turns and Rivers.

What do you think?

As played:

Turn: So I make an actual value hand. I can either x/rai, x/c or donk the T. I wasn't confident that villain would barrel this T very often as a bluff or semi-bluff and didn't want to give any free cards out. I thought that donking the T would be better since I wouldn't expect villain to fold TP+ and if he has a draw I can extract value by betting whereas if I check and he checks behind and misses I have now missed an opportunity to extract value and build a pot and he would only give me river action if he completes draws.

River: I think the river is definite bet since he might x/beh with worse hands and only bet with completed straights etc. Therefore I decided to bet. not sure if this would be a bet/fold or bet/call. I guess villain could raise me here with weaker sets and 2pr.

If villain were to make a pot sized raise ( like 3.66, which would be 5.88/2.94 to call = 2:1 which means we need like 34% to make a break even call) on the R with 2pr combo's then I think it would be a break even play (maybe slightly losing if we factor in rake) to call:

Board: 7:diamond: T:heart: 4:spade:  9:diamond:  Q:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     65.38%  65.38%   0.00% { QhQs, QhQc, QsQc, TdTs, TdTc, TsTc, 7h7s, 7h7c, 7s7c, 4d4h, 4d4c, 4h4c, KJs, AdKd, AdJd, AdTd, KdTd, QsTs, QcTc, JdTd, Ad8d, Td8d, Ad6d, Ad5d, 6d5d, Ad3d, Ad2d, KJo, QhTd, QhTs, QhTc, QsTd, QsTc, QcTd, QcTs, Td9h, Ts9h, Tc9h }
      BB     34.62%  34.62%   0.00% { 9s9c }

Obviously if we get a better price than the above then I think bet/call is okay. If we don't think he raises worse 2pr combos then I think it is a definite bet/fold.

Also what do you think about sizing. I didn't expect his range to be super strong, therefore sized it to maybe get a call from a stubborn TX.

Cheers

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 58.4 BB
      SB: 171 BB
      Hero (BB): 110.6 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      MP: 261.8 BB
      CO: 163.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:spade: 9:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond: T:heart: 4:spade:
      Hero checks, CO bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

Turn: (12.4 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 8.8 BB, CO calls 8.8 BB

River: (30 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero bets 14.4 BB, fold

Hero wins 28.8 BB
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

Against unknown I would likely 3-bet myself, since 99 is not the easiest to play oop. You very likely get called by worse hands and I doubt he is 4-betting with worse.

Since you´re still likely more than 50% ahead on the flop I like c/c. If you c/r, then you build pot and he would very likely continue with better hands.

I think both c/r or leading are fine options. If think c/r turn is too strong then bet turn and bet river.

as played: I would likely b/f river. It is very hard him to raise with worse hands and since flush got there I doubt he would turn random Tx, Qx or worse hands into bluffs

best regards,
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz,

Against unknown I would likely 3-bet myself, since 99 is not the easiest to play oop. You very likely get called by worse hands and I doubt he is 4-betting with worse.

What's the plan for a flop just play in a similar way as if I had the initiative in a single raised pot, but just be aware that we will be up against a slightly stronger range? or would you only c-bet when we flop an overpair or set and x/f the most of time, maybe x/c some dry textures that he would stab IP? Would you be more inclined to bluff induce

Cheers
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      What's the plan for a flop just play in a similar way as if I had the initiative in a single raised pot, but just be aware that we will be up against a slightly stronger range?
      - If I was pre-flop aggressor then I would c-bet most boards just to take down pot (even AKQ should be fine to take half pot stab)
      On T74 I would c-bet once to then c/c turn (this way I give him option to bet his worse pp-s and floats)
      On Axx, Kxx boards I would c-bet once and would likely c/f turn

I would usually not take c/c line unless I hit quads or maybe boat and it is very unlikely he would call with worse hands. Usually c-betting makes your hand easier and you don´t have to start guessing if he is bluffing or valuebetting.

best regards,