This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH 99 - BB defense

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain was unknown at the time of the hand

Preflop:Standard flat vs unknown. I don't think I can 3b for value and value bet many flops obviously, so just call for set value and can play for value on some low boards when I flop an OP.

Flop: Since I would expect villains CO o/r range to be wide and weak I think that I can still have the best hand here. So I guess I have a couple of options : x/rai bluff, donk the flop, x/f, x/c and re-evaluate T.

I chose to x/c and re-evaluate the T because:
      1) I think I still have the best hand here some of the time and don't think that I have to turn my hand into a bluff yet
      2) I do have some backdoors and the plan was to x/f vs continued aggression

In hindsight I think I might just x/f flops without a set or OP because I end up just donking off money OOP when I don't know where I am or how to play Turns and Rivers.

What do you think?

As played:

Turn: So I make an actual value hand. I can either x/rai, x/c or donk the T. I wasn't confident that villain would barrel this T very often as a bluff or semi-bluff and didn't want to give any free cards out. I thought that donking the T would be better since I wouldn't expect villain to fold TP+ and if he has a draw I can extract value by betting whereas if I check and he checks behind and misses I have now missed an opportunity to extract value and build a pot and he would only give me river action if he completes draws.

River: I think the river is definite bet since he might x/beh with worse hands and only bet with completed straights etc. Therefore I decided to bet. not sure if this would be a bet/fold or bet/call. I guess villain could raise me here with weaker sets and 2pr.

If villain were to make a pot sized raise ( like 3.66, which would be 5.88/2.94 to call = 2:1 which means we need like 34% to make a break even call) on the R with 2pr combo's then I think it would be a break even play (maybe slightly losing if we factor in rake) to call:

Board: 7:diamond: T:heart: 4:spade:  9:diamond:  Q:diamond:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     65.38%  65.38%   0.00% { QhQs, QhQc, QsQc, TdTs, TdTc, TsTc, 7h7s, 7h7c, 7s7c, 4d4h, 4d4c, 4h4c, KJs, AdKd, AdJd, AdTd, KdTd, QsTs, QcTc, JdTd, Ad8d, Td8d, Ad6d, Ad5d, 6d5d, Ad3d, Ad2d, KJo, QhTd, QhTs, QhTc, QsTd, QsTc, QcTd, QcTs, Td9h, Ts9h, Tc9h }
      BB     34.62%  34.62%   0.00% { 9s9c }

Obviously if we get a better price than the above then I think bet/call is okay. If we don't think he raises worse 2pr combos then I think it is a definite bet/fold.

Also what do you think about sizing. I didn't expect his range to be super strong, therefore sized it to maybe get a call from a stubborn TX.

Cheers

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 58.4 BB
      SB: 171 BB
      Hero (BB): 110.6 BB
      UTG: 100 BB
      MP: 261.8 BB
      CO: 163.4 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.4 BB) Hero has 9:spade: 9:club:

fold, fold, CO raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero calls 2 BB

Flop: (6.4 BB, 2 players) 7:diamond: T:heart: 4:spade:
      Hero checks, CO bets 3 BB, Hero calls 3 BB

Turn: (12.4 BB, 2 players) 9:diamond:
      Hero bets 8.8 BB, CO calls 8.8 BB

River: (30 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond:
      Hero bets 14.4 BB, fold

Hero wins 28.8 BB
  • 3 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Hi,

Against unknown I would likely 3-bet myself, since 99 is not the easiest to play oop. You very likely get called by worse hands and I doubt he is 4-betting with worse.

Since you´re still likely more than 50% ahead on the flop I like c/c. If you c/r, then you build pot and he would very likely continue with better hands.

I think both c/r or leading are fine options. If think c/r turn is too strong then bet turn and bet river.

as played: I would likely b/f river. It is very hard him to raise with worse hands and since flush got there I doubt he would turn random Tx, Qx or worse hands into bluffs

best regards,
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi Kaitz,

Against unknown I would likely 3-bet myself, since 99 is not the easiest to play oop. You very likely get called by worse hands and I doubt he is 4-betting with worse.

What's the plan for a flop just play in a similar way as if I had the initiative in a single raised pot, but just be aware that we will be up against a slightly stronger range? or would you only c-bet when we flop an overpair or set and x/f the most of time, maybe x/c some dry textures that he would stab IP? Would you be more inclined to bluff induce

Cheers
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      What's the plan for a flop just play in a similar way as if I had the initiative in a single raised pot, but just be aware that we will be up against a slightly stronger range?
      - If I was pre-flop aggressor then I would c-bet most boards just to take down pot (even AKQ should be fine to take half pot stab)
      On T74 I would c-bet once to then c/c turn (this way I give him option to bet his worse pp-s and floats)
      On Axx, Kxx boards I would c-bet once and would likely c/f turn

I would usually not take c/c line unless I hit quads or maybe boat and it is very unlikely he would call with worse hands. Usually c-betting makes your hand easier and you don´t have to start guessing if he is bluffing or valuebetting.

best regards,