defending against 3b's and constructing preflop ranges

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Hi all,

This is something that has been bugging me for a while. If anyone has any input regarding this or any really good articles, threads or videos I can watch then please let me know.

I want to start defending a bit more vs 3b's. Recently I looked through my stats from a recent session in a sample of 2889 hands I was folding to 3b's like 87-88% (130/148) of the time. I have heard that if someone folds to 3b's 75%+ of the time then when you 3b them you are just printing money against them, even if you x/f the flop? Is this correct? I assume this is a big leak.

At the moment against unknowns most of the time I just assume that they are 3b'ing JJ+,AQs+,AQo+ as a start point and only continuing withwith QQ+AK by 4b'ing for the most part.

First of all are these assumptions and start points reasonable? Secondly, obviously some villains will be 3b'ing my opens considerably wider when I open from later positions in general. I know these situations are very opponent and dynamic dependant but I just want some "go to" ranges and adjust from there.

I was thinking lets say I have a few hundred hands on villain is 3b'ing like 6%+ overall. Is it safe to assume that he's 3b'ing me wide enough to start calling wider. I was thinking as a guide maybe consider calling IP with something like the following range:

22+,ATs+,KQs,AJo+,KQo

Is it important to plan to not play fit or fold with these ranges? I.e would you only be calling if you were prepared to fight for the pot un-improved? Or, would you just plan to play fit or fold and only continue on flops with TP+ and good draws?

Obviously I will always take each situation individually and not just see my hand and say I am calling, folding or raising due to my hand strength alone. I just wanted to put some random thoughts and questions on this topic out there and maybe discuss it further.

Hope it doesn't sound dumb.

Cheers
  • 5 replies