This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh TT backraise

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      PokerStars
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($10.44) 104bb
      UTG+1 ($12.02) 120bb
      DrDunne (CO) ($22.18) 222bb
      BTN ($10.29) 103bb
      SB ($6.15) 62bb
      BB ($10) 100bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) DrDunne is CO 10:diamond: 10:club:
      UTG raises to $0.30, 1 fold, DrDunne calls $0.30, BTN raises to $1.35, 2 folds, UTG folds, DrDunne goes all-in $22.18

UTG seems quite ABC over a small sample, BU has been quite active and has been 3betting me a few times over 100 hands so not much of a sample with that either but it definitely stood out to me. his stats are 24/20 and ~12% 3bet so far. i decided to backraise all in because i think this is a great spot for him to squeeze, so i was pretty happy that i'd have some decent FE and i also won't be completely dead against his range.... i hope you don't mind taking a look at this.

i really suck when it comes to squeezing, so if i can't find a decent range for myself in this situation then i'm sure the following range for villain might not be very good... but assuming this total range:
      JJ+, A9s+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo [8.14%]

i think he'll squeeze JJ+ and AQ+ for pure value and the rest as semi-bluffs with blockers. this is how i'd approach the situation but maybe it's not right. anyway....

if he decides i'm spazzing out and calls me with JJ+ and AQ+ [4.22%], that means my FE = 1 - (4.22 / 8.14) = 48%

against this continuing range i have 41% pot equity (PE), and when he only continues with this range i have 48% fold equity (FE). so here is my workings on the EV of the backraise... i hope it's right.

EV = [FE * pot + (1-FE) * PE * pot_after_all_bets] - investment
      EV = [.48 * 120.9 + (1- .48) * .41 * 210.3] - 99.9
      EV = +2.96796bb

ty

[edit] i just wanna clarify the bolded part of the formula as well: do we include the pot as it is after my shove? which is 21bb + my shove of 99.9bb which leaves us with the 120.9bb... or do we just include the pot before my shove in which case this becomes very -EV :D
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DrDunne,

That's a pretty large squeeze by BTN so I don't mind your shove.

There are two things you can do here. The calculation you did but also a calculation to see how much FE you would need assuming a calling range to your shove.

You are risking $9.99 to win the pot of $2.1.

Do you know how to calculate the FE required?

I'd recommend doing it versus a range of QQ+, AK then a range that's a bit wider and include JJ/AQs.

As far as your last question goes, I'll come back with another one :)

If you win the pot ~50 the time outright and then win it 40% of the time when you go broke, should you bet +EV or -EV (that should also answer your other question)?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      well.... i think the formula for required equity is: investment / (pot+investment) so in this case our required equity should be ~82%. from a total range of JJ+, A9s+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo [8.14%], if he only continues QQ+ and AK [2.56%] then our FE is 1 - (2.56 / 8.14) = 68.5% which is massive. but still unprofitable if we go just by the required FE...

about your question (i'm such a maths fish!) it should be break even if we win 50% outright i think, and we lose if we only have 40% equity when called so it looks like it will be -EV.... this is hurting my head :D
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      well.... i think the formula for required equity is: investment / (pot+investment) so in this case our required equity should be ~82%. from a total range of JJ+, A9s+, KTs+, QJs, AJo+, KQo [8.14%], if he only continues QQ+ and AK [2.56%] then our FE is 1 - (2.56 / 8.14) = 68.5% which is massive. but still unprofitable if we go just by the required FE...

about your question (i'm such a maths fish!) it should be break even if we win 50% outright i think, and we lose if we only have 40% equity when called so it looks like it will be -EV.... this is hurting my head :D
      I'll give you an example for FE and you can do another one after.

Against QQ, KK, AA, AK we have 36.41% equity (thus we lose 63.59% of the time). We won't take rake into account for the sake of the example.

Assuming 0 FE we begin to calculate:

When we go all in and win:
      0.3641 * 110.1 = 40.09 (pot + his remaining money)

When we go all in and lose:
      0.6359 * 99.9 = 63.53 (our investment)

Net worth = 40.09 - 63.53 = -23.44

FE needed: 23.44 / (23.44 + 21) = 52.75 % FE needed

So what conclusions can you draw from this?