[NL2-NL10] NL5SH - 88 paired board

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is an unknown at the time

Postflop: bet/fold for value protection vs overs and draw and some weaker PP's. Plan was bet/fold F+T and check behind river un-imp.

Don't think that I can x/beh F but not sure that barelling the turn is best. On the other hand if I check behind I don't really know whether villain bluffs or bets a worse hand OTR. Maybe I can make a small value bet if he checks to me but it would depend mainly on the river card and his bet sizing.

As played I don't think I have any other option than folding.

PokerStars - $0.05 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: $2.93
      SB: $5.61
      BB: $2.94
      UTG: $5.21
      MP: $4.94
      Hero (CO): $5.07

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has 8:diamond: 8:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.15, fold, SB calls $0.13, BB calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.45, 3 players) 9:club: 2:club: 9:heart:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB calls $0.28, BB calls $0.28

Turn: ($1.29, 3 players) 6:diamond:
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.80, SB calls $0.80, fold

River: ($2.89, 2 players) 5:club:
      SB bets $2.75, fold

SB wins $2.77
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Muel,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I think that you played it fine given the hand, board and potential villains.

I wouldn't call the river there either as I doubt he floats two streets to just donk random hands there.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Cheers

I often get worried that I turn my hand into a bluff by taking bet/fold lines on draw. I often struggle to categorize where I stand in the hand. I.e do I think I am ahead often enough and will worse hands call if I bet. Is my hand good enough to try to take to showdown, therefore by betting do I rob my hand of its value?

If I'm not sure then do you think bet/fold is better than checking in most cases?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      You are playing without information which means that you have no idea how they would play the river if checked to. On top of that you have 2 players with a total of 4 cards so the risk of a free card is larger than in a HU pot.

It really comes down to what you think their ranges might be and how they are split and then you can try to estimate number of combos.