Stepping into a better life, one hand at a time with BrokeSoBroke

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      After another epiphany walking around at work i've decided the reason of making this blog is totally different compared to what it was a couple of weeks ago.

Rather than just posting about sessions and mainly poker i want to use this blog as a way to get advice and information and all different aspects of life and build a better way of life.

I'm really eager to learn everything i can, not only poker but the world and everything it has to offer. I want to be well traveled, have seen all the sights there is to see, well educated, be able to speak different languages, well dressed, physically fit and all the other things i could list which would go on forever.

Although i'm nowhere near where i want to be i've come along way from what i was a year and a half ago. Each step may be small but every journey has to start somewhere :) might be getting on abit at 22 but hopefully its not too late. Always been a late bloomer! haha

Not getting rid of the original post but will just spoiler it and get to look back at a later date.

Cheers guys and thanks for reading!

[spoiler]
      Originally posted by ABShortland
      Sup PokerStrategy!

I'm Adam 22 years old and postman from the UK. Recently come across a fair bit of spare time after landing this job 6 months ago so decided to give poker another go and here i am now.

Played poker on and off for about 4 years but never really gone anywhere with it just always mindlessly grinding for hours on end at the micros wondering why i wasn't earning millions yet lol. Took a decent shot last year and grinded through NL2 - 25 but ended up fracturing my foot :f_mad: which meant i couldn't work but had a holiday coming up so cashed out most of my roll to cover the expenses. Didn't have the time or motivation to start again afterwards but luckily my old job laid me off and i walked into this one which has freed up alot of time so at the start of march i took to the tables again with the small amount left over from before and just about to start shotting NL25 again =)

Thought i'd make a blog to help keep track of my progress, it'll be nice to hopefully look back one day at where it all began and hopefully meet some people to sweat and improve with!

Overall graph from the past 2 months:

And then Just NL16 graph:

Hopefully plan to update after most sessions with hands and gross spots, not really got any goals in mind but i guess the few i can throw out there are.

Goals:

[ ] Learn to properly analyse HH's
      [x] Hit 4 figures for the first time ever
      [ ] Fully Clear the First Deposit Bonus at PKR (0/500)
      [ ] Move up to NL50 by the end of the year

Currently not tracked at stars which sucks an unbelievably huge amounts of you know what like a cheap filthy you know who so possibly switching over to a site and clearing a FDB could be something to think about however stars is just a mile above the rest from most reviews i've read so any suggestions?

Roll: $711

PS Thread saver

-Peace
      ABShortland
  • 130 replies
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Yo,

First small session of NL25 played today and played absolutely terribly!

Bit tired so maybe that had a little to do with it but really unhappy about the way i played today and decided its time to end when you start gambling against droolers haha

Didn't run the greatest although got KKvsAA AIPF and spiked a K so can't complain

Just one quick hand:

Standard TPGK vs unknown fish, when he donks and the MR's the flop is it too weak to fold? .. i don't like shipping it too much and just plan to call IP and evaluate on the turn. When he bets so small on the turn i don't think theres anything i can do but call and even though it's only 1/4pot on the river i think i prefer folding looking back, not alot we beat is there really?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $27.90 (111.6 bb)
      MP: $48.87 (195.5 bb)
      CO: $25.21 (100.8 bb)
      BTN: $26 (104 bb)
      SB: $10.42 (41.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q K
      3 folds, SB completes, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.75

Flop: ($2) 6 K 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero raises to $1.42, SB raises to $2.34, Hero calls $0.92

Turn: ($6.68) 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.75, Hero calls $0.75

River: ($8.18) 4 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

PS stick to the rules kids, playing unorthodox gets you in trouble! :f_biggrin:

[SPOILER]Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (BB): $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $12.46 (49.8 bb)
      MP: $15.73 (62.9 bb)
      CO: $26.47 (105.9 bb)
      BTN: $25.47 (101.9 bb)
      SB: $26.10 (104.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A

UTG folds, MP calls $0.25, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, MP calls $2, SB raises to $3.75, Hero raises to $5.25, MP raises to $15.73 and is all-in, SB calls $11.98, Hero raises to $25 and is all-in, SB calls $9.27

Flop: ($65.73) J 5 8 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($65.73) Q (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($65.73) 7 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:[spoiler] $65.73 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: J 5 8 Q 7
      Hero showed A A and won $18.54 (-$6.46 net)
      MP showed J 8 and won $45.19 ($29.46 net)
      SB showed T Q and lost (-$25 net)

[/SPOILER]

Peace
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Sup

Managed to fit another quick session in after work and before going out to drink beers :s_cool: .. Wont get to play at all tomorrow though as saturday is a normal working day for a postman and i deliver pizza's on a night to earn some extra $ .. Not baller! :f_cry: Hopefully will stop playing like a donkey so i dont have to keep working like a donkey :f_biggrin: 100k hands is gonna be a challenge if this poor volume doesn't shift!

Lost AKvsAK which stung but hey ho its all apart of life

Bought mbml's "The Art of Poker Part 1" as the second part looks really interesting and theres no point in starting something in the middle so this should be good for some light reading :)

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

Hero (SB): $27.28 (109.1 bb)
      BB: $14.82 (59.3 bb)
      UTG: $32.38 (129.5 bb)
      MP: $15.73 (62.9 bb)
      CO: $25.87 (103.5 bb)
      BTN: $26.97 (107.9 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A Q
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.75, BB folds, BTN calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75) A 4 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.22, BTN calls $2.22

Turn: ($8.19) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero calls $4

River: ($16.19) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $8.30, Hero calls $8.30

Not sure if the river was a good call or not, guy seemed reasonable and not overly aggressive. not seen any SD's

Checked the turn giving him the chance to float.

On the river with the FD missing i thought he could be bluffing missed draws and opted for a call ... Would he bet AJ this way?

Roll: $663

Peace!
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Yoooo! :heart:

What a basic school boy error going out for a few beers is when you have work the next morning, feeling very delicate today haha. :s_mad: on the plus side i managed to fit a short session in between starting work at my other job tonight and lo and behold this baby!

:D pretty harsh beat for villian though as he had KT for a turned Full house. Sorry bro!

Even though i'm abit hungover i think i've played fairly well today, probably better than the past 2 days actually ... maybe i should drink more often :D .. Probably just run good making me think this way, still lost Set over Set and KK<AQ AIPF for like 75bbs so wasn't all my way today but damage limitation on the SetvSet has made me fairly happy

Not had chance to read any of mbml's part 1 yet but will be making a start on it tomorrow. Decided i'm going to switch my roll to PKR, after i grind out another 800FPP on stars to unlock the $75 bonus, so i can get tracked and clear a FDB. Although alot of reviews are quite poor for there being tracked is something thats really important to me and if all elses fails i can just switch back :)

Roll: $727

Peace
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Morning :)

Played a short session this morning and put some serious coolers on some people which although it's nice to be on the + side i'm pretty down about how i'm playing. I seem to be bleeding ridiculous amounts through non-SD and i know people say aslong as the green lines going up it shouldn't matter but i think it's abit of cause for concern .. 200bb over 1.1k hands is quite alarming is it not?

Since starting this blog i've not got chance to play too much but the 5.2k hands i have i've lost 730bbs through non-SD, if it wasn't for some serious coolers like:

UTG: $9.67 (38.7 bb)
      MP: $49.71 (198.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $62.37 (249.5 bb)
      BTN: $25.25 (101 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      BB: $68.49 (274 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q K
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $1.85, 3 folds, MP calls $1.10

Flop: ($4.05) 8 8 K (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($4.05) K (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

River: ($4.05) Q (2 players)
      MP bets $2.75, Hero raises to $5.50, MP raises to $17, Hero raises to $60.52, MP calls $30.86 and is all-in

Results:
      $99.77 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: 8 8 K K Q
      MP mucked K A and lost (-$49.71 net)
      Hero showed Q K and won $97.77 ($48.06 net)

UTG: $27.78 (111.1 bb)
      MP: $24.70 (98.8 bb)
      CO: $31.06 (124.2 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $34.17 (136.7 bb)
      SB: $25.85 (103.4 bb)
      BB: $22.90 (91.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q Q
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.75, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.85) Q J Q (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.85) 9 (2 players)
      CO bets $1.25, Hero calls $1.25

River: ($4.35) 5 (2 players)
      CO bets $29.06 and is all-in, Hero calls $29.06

Results:
      $62.47 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: Q J Q 9 5
      CO showed 9 9 and lost (-$31.06 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and won $60.47 ($29.41 net)

and

BB: $8.57 (34.3 bb)
      UTG: $50.06 (200.2 bb)
      Hero (MP): $34.91 (139.6 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $31.46 (125.8 bb)
      SB: $66.66 (266.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q Q
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.75, CO folds, BTN raises to $2.20, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.25, BTN calls $3.05

Flop: ($10.85) 5 J Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $6.66, BTN calls $6.66

Turn: ($24.17) 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $23 and is all-in, BTN calls $19.55 and is all-in

River: ($63.27) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $63.27 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 5 J Q 9 3
      Hero showed Q Q and won $61.27 ($29.81 net)
      BTN mucked K K and lost (-$31.46 net)

I'd be in some serious trouble. theres 4BI of Coolers + the Royal Flush yesterday, although i'm +$ at the minute these coolers aren't gonna keep flooding in so i think some serious work is needed but i'm just not too sure where to start. Can't wait to grind this bonus out and get tracked again to start looking at vids and material. Any one who wants to sweat send me a PM and i'm more than happy to sit and watch you play for an hour and hopefully help in anyway i can :)

Peace
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hey ABShortland

I'm playing and learning at NL5 right now and I could use a poker buddy who is starting fresh as well :f_biggrin:

I'll be following your blog!

Best of luck!
      David
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Afternoon sir!

Sent you a message via the community tool with Skype details :)

How you finding NL5 and Is it FR or SH you play? If there's anything i can help you with i'll be more than happy to! :)

Thank you for following buddy and if you've got one up and running i'd love to return the favour

Good luck at tables!
      Cheers
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Good Evening Pokerstrategy!

Managed to put in a little bit of decent volume today, 4.1k hands total but still not quite enough to grind out the $75 bonus :f_o: ... only 150FPP left to get though so will be getting it tomorrow and then switch over to PKR and earning some strategy points!! :f_cool: .. Whats the best way of switching over my roll? I have enough money to cover the deposit whilst i wait for the withdrawal from stars so is that the best option?

Played OK overall but i'm still not nearly happy enough with how i'm playing not too sure on where to start though. Once you get into the right routine of reviewing and analyzing properly it becomes second nature i would imagine but its just taking those first steps and knowing how to do it effectively.

I think that could be a new goal to add to the list. Learn to review and analyze tough spots properly!

Setup a sweat with Dawidas888 tomorrow and think i might've introduced a friend to PokerStrategy too so good productive day overall :)

Roll: $792

Thanks for reading
      Peace
    • xxInspectorxx
      xxInspectorxx
      Bronze
      Hey mate
      I have sent you a message on community tool. Check it out and let me know.

Cheers
      xxIxx
    • luizsilveira
      luizsilveira
      Bronze
      The bad beats are surely falling your way!

Even with the cracked aces you got a nice profit :P

Keep it up.
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Hey ABShortland I'm from UK also, where do you deliver your post?!

Also, you get in pretty sick volume. How many tables you play?
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by xxInspectorxx
      Hey mate
      I have sent you a message on community tool. Check it out and let me know.

Cheers
      xxIxx
      Added you on skype sir!

Originally posted by luizsilveira

The bad beats are surely falling your way!

Even with the cracked aces you got a nice profit

Keep it up.

It wont stay like that forever though thats the main thing that concerns me, hopefully sick coolers aren't all thats are making me money :D .. You a cash game player too buddy? :)

Originally posted by nooni2k
      Hey ABShortland I'm from UK also, where do you deliver your post?!

Also, you get in pretty sick volume. How many tables you play?
      Where abouts in the UK are you from mate? .. I live in an awful town called Grimsby, dead-end town with absolutely nothing going on here haha. Being a postman is sweet when the weathers nice but when it's a absolutely chucking it down with rain or snowing like theres no tommorrow it makes you question life! :f_biggrin:

I play 6-9 tables bud, just got a new 27" monitor which makes life very nice and then a tiny 17" to help out. Volumes ok, could be alot better but improving should be number 1 on the priorities list!

Played a last mini session on stars to unlock the $75 bonus and made a little profit, Stars' new easy seat is the sickest thing in the world! Table select like a boss at ease:

total graph since i started this blog and also a SS of my stats ... Some serious cause for concern when i'm losing money on the BTN :f_eek: Need to take a good look at everything i've been doing!

Got my roll ready in my skrill account to be deposited on PKR and finally get tracked :f_biggrin: .. Maybe i'll whore poker and grind diamond status to attend prague :f_biggrin:

Roll was at $900 when i withdrew from stars but seems after charges i've only got $850 :f_cry: and can only deposit $800 daily at PKR so roll currently stands at $800

Thanks for reading
      Peace
    • Stu24023
      Stu24023
      Bronze
      I'm in the uk too if u want another learning buddy!
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stu24023
      Definitely sir! :) Added you via the community tool, you playing SH cash?

PKR software is so bad compared to stars :f_mad: Just gonna have to get used to it though!

EDIT: So played abit today on PKR, Not overly impressed at all, timing out on hands left right and center lol. Softwares not great but hopefully will adjust in time. Will give me more reason to study and evaluate if i don't wanna play so much :D

Sweat went well with Dawidas888, looks like he's got a solid grip of the fundamentals and will have no problem moving up when BRM permits! :)

Roll: $777
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      I've heard of Grimsby but never been. Even the name sounds bad lol :rolleyes: But looks like you have a beach? that's pretty cool (for like 1 month of the year in UK haha) I'm in south west London. Big city...frikkin loads of people, high cost of living...but can't complain!

Lol I also question my life while standing on a crowded train platform at 8.30am in the wind and rain with 200 other people trying to get on a train that's already full haha but that's life for now!

Sounds like we have the same setup, I also rock a 27" with a 17" on the side :)

I wouldn't worry about your positional stats after 9k hands. I was losing on the btn for around 15k hands much more than you, but it was just because the results were skewed by a few big beats.

added you in the community tool
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      nice blog, subbed, gl :)
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Stu24023

Sweet!! added you in the community tool sir, whats your poker style of choice? :)

Originally posted by nooni2k
      I've heard of Grimsby but never been. Even the name sounds bad lol :rolleyes: But looks like you have a beach? that's pretty cool (for like 1 month of the year in UK haha) I'm in south west London. Big city...frikkin loads of people, high cost of living...but can't complain!

Lol I also question my life while standing on a crowded train platform at 8.30am in the wind and rain with 200 other people trying to get on a train that's already full haha but that's life for now!

Sounds like we have the same setup, I also rock a 27" with a 17" on the side :)

I wouldn't worry about your positional stats after 9k hands. I was losing on the btn for around 15k hands much more than you, but it was just because the results were skewed by a few big beats.

added you in the community tool
      Haha yeah they name pretty much gives it away .. Mmm the beach is not really anything special it's more of something to avoid than go and enjoy :D lol. Living in London must be pretty sweet though with always things going on, you have the option to go see a good game of footy, band,comedian or whatever you're into right on your doorstep! :)

Sick setup bro! it's quite handy for everything, the little 17" helps so much don't you find you'd be lost without it?? haha

Just read through every post in your blog sir and will sub and post shortly :)

Originally posted by martinstids

nice blog, subbed, gl
      Cheers sir! what format of poker you rocking buddy?
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      PKR software still makes me want to cut myself till my brain falls out but running like God has continued onto PKR which has helped a little, slowly getting used to the software too however i've never actually run this well above EV :s_evil:

The hand at 100 hands is this unfortunate beast:

PKR, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 4 Players

Hero (CO): $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $63.04 (252.2 bb)
      SB: $24.75 (99 bb)
      BB: $24.79 (99.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K K

Hero raises to $0.75, BTN raises to $2.50, SB raises to $24.75 and is all-in, BB folds, Hero raises to $25 and is all-in, BTN calls $22.50

Flop: ($75) K J 3 (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: ($75) J (3 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($75) 4 (3 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $75 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: K J 3 J 4
      Hero showed K K and won $73 ($48 net)
      BTN showed A A and lost (-$25 net)
      SB showed Q Q and lost (-$24.75 net)

Would any others find a fold in this spot? .. CO has 6% 3bet over 700 hands and BB is unknown so figured BB could be shoving lighter (not just KK+) to pick up the dead money in the pot and BTN could have a wider range of 3bets and was expecting him to fold so i could run it HU vs BB.

Gonna change my goal from 100k hands as i cant multi table as much on PKR so aiming to clear the FDB hopefully. no biggy if not!

Tables are pretty reg fest so gonna have to do some homework and maybe get a couple of hours coaching on how to use the hands i get against them.
      Theres a video by BogdanPS called "attacking the regs" which will be high on my to watch list when my points start coming through.

Roll currently stands at $953 .. if i didnt lose the $50 switching from stars to PKR i'd have hit 4 figures for the first time ever but not too caught up about it because i shouldn't be at this much profit for the day anyway so swings and round abouts :f_biggrin:

If anyone wants to spend half hour reviewing HH's together and breaking everything down give us a shout :)

Over and out!

EDIT: Need 200,000 points to fully clear the bonus / 60 days = 3333 PKR points per day so i'm currently behind schedule by a huge amount :f_biggrin: this bonus definitely isn't getting cleared unless i can somehow cope with 9 tables ... 2313/6666
    • nooni2k
      nooni2k
      Bronze
      Haha yeah they name pretty much gives it away .. Mmm the beach is not really anything special it's more of something to avoid than go and enjoy :D lol. Living in London must be pretty sweet though with always things going on, you have the option to go see a good game of footy, band,comedian or whatever you're into right on your doorstep! :)

Sick setup bro! it's quite handy for everything, the little 17" helps so much don't you find you'd be lost without it?? haha

Just read through every post in your blog sir and will sub and post shortly :)

Nice one :D

Yeah Im not hugely into music but been to loads of comedy shows, most recently Louis CK at the Hammersmith Apollo which was epic. Also been to watch Chelsea and Fulham play a few times because they're quite local grounds for me, though ofc many matches are sold out/ridiculously expensive!

Does the PKR software still use all those crazy graphics and animations or can you turn all that crap off and just see the cards?!

With your KK hand - hehe I don't think you need to fold here ever... SB can be much wider than KK+ especially given he open shoves rather than squeezes to a normal amount.
      And always nice to hit :)

I'm up for HH reviews for sure. Will sort out skypes over PM
    • Damlqv
      Damlqv
      Bronze
      Hey mate, I started playing nl25 on stars this months and if you're interested I'd like to study together. Added you here, so if you're interested just send me a msg.