Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      Hero ($50.00)
      CO ($97.20)
      BTN ($50.00)
      SB ($17.75) 87/44/2 with usual pfr 3$
      BB ($30.35) 60/17/0.3

Pre-flop: ($0.75, 5 players) Hero is UTG :5s: :5d:
      Hero calls $0.50, 2 folds, SB raises to $3, BB calls $2.50, Hero raises to $12.50, SB calls $9, BB folds

Flop: :4s: T: :7s: ($27.50, 2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $6, SB goes all-in $5.75

Usually never openlimp preflop but thought it was fine this time. SB has been raising half of his hands to 3$ preflop.

I reraise to pick up dead money as I believe I'm in front of his 44% preflop range. Ok move?
  • 9 replies
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      90% of players would put you on small pp and call your limp/re-raise or shove with JJ+, AK.
      I´d just call pf with 55 and see if I can hit set. Since I´m also ip I can maybe take pot down postflop.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kaitz20
      90% of players would put you on small pp and call your limp/re-raise or shove with JJ+, AK.
      I´d just call pf with 55 and see if I can hit set. Since I´m also ip I can maybe take pot down postflop.
      Calling pf would be the worst option wouldn't it? SB raises to 3$ (like he always does) but his stack is only 18$ --> no good odds for set. And according to you I should bet flop IP against two calling stations with a underpair (possibly bottom pair on the board), this is suicide no?

Can another Handjudge have a look at this hand?
    • kukac26
      kukac26
      Bronze
      You said that he was a calling station (who raises every other hand to 3$ in 50 NL SH)...

That seems a pretty good strategy to me :)

Do you usually play 55 for people's short stacks? Implied odds aren't good enough for a set and you're in a coin-flip situation in the best case (he has two overs always).

You knew he was raising, so you wanted to re-raise him from the start.. with 55 if you know someone with a short stack will raise.. you fold.. you don't even limp..

or if you really want to play those fives.. you raise.. to get some fold equity going..

folding is correct in the majority of cases, tho.. you wait for a hand and snap the villain off.. and 55 is not a hand to snap people off

The flop is actually good for you (unless he has a bigger pair), so betting there is okay. You even have some heavy runner-runner options.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Originally posted by kukac26

You knew he was raising, so you wanted to re-raise him from the start.. with 55 if you know someone with a short stack will raise.. you fold.. you don't even limp..

I limped with following idea: pull a squeeze if SB raised and BB called and let SB decide for his stack. I was 95% sure BB wouldnt call my squeeze.

Other factor for limp: if noone raises pf i get good IO for my set.

Raising 55 UTG+1 would put me OOP vs 2 calling stations on the flop --> Least good option.
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Diedobal
      Calling pf would be the worst option wouldn't it? SB raises to 3$ (like he always does) but his stack is only 18$ --> no good odds for set. And according to you I should bet flop IP against two calling stations with a underpair (possibly bottom pair on the board), this is suicide no?

Can another Handjudge have a look at this hand?
      I´ll ask another judge to take a look to your hand
      I don´t suggest playing c/c for set value, but since you open limped with 55, you can call ip, since SB and BB could check at some flops and you can bet 2/3 pot to take it down.

Btw if you raise then you´re ip to sb and bb.
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Hi Diedobal,

please never ever open limp. If the whole table is full of maniacs then just open fold, but do not limp. In this case you have to short stacked fishes and 2 full stacks. I easily open raise here and actually push against a re-raise from SB ( if the stats are reliable) in a heads up situation. If the other fish is in the pot as well I play accordingly to the Odds and don't get fancy here. Usually you raise your small pockets and make a continuation bet....if you have the set go broke, if you don't b/f on the flop. Against a fish however you can even not conti-bet on ugly boards when he never folds against the bet.

Best regards,
      TribunCaesar
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      Reason I posted this hand is not the hand itself but more the reraising range vs a complete maniac.

My read on BB is solid, he will NEVER call my reraise (unless he has QQ+) so his 3$ invested is 90% dead money.

=====================================
      So the question vs SB is: Is this move EV max?

1) Say he folds 1/2 time: 6$ profit for me = 6$ for 1/2 hands

Even if he calls 1/2 times (and he will call his 6$ left on every flop), his range can be narrowed to 21.5%:
      22+, A3s+, K8s+, QTs+, A7o+, KTo+, QJo

vs this range my equity is 49 vs 51, with the dead money involved this is slighty +ev for me, lets say 0.5$/hand

combine his fold and call range this would give me (6$+0.5$)/2 = +3.5$ for each hand.
      --
      2) Say he fold 2/3 time: 6$ profit for me 2/3 hands

His calling range would be (44/3 = 14.5%): 44, 66+, A7s+, K9s+, QJs, A9o+, KJo+

vs this range my 55 has 44% vs 56% equity, the 3$ dead money makes up for being a slight underdog. --> if he calls with this range I play breakeven.

combine fold and call for 1/3 call range and I'll get (2*6+1*0)/3 = +4$/hand
      ---

3) say he folds 3/4: 6$ profit for 3/4 hands

His calling range would be (44/4 = 11%): 66+, A8s+, KTs+, ATo+

vs this range my 55 has 40% equity, the 3$ dead money involved would minimise my loss to 2$/hand if he calls with this narrow range.

combine fold and call for this 1/4 call range and I'll get (3*6+1*-2)/4= +4.5$/hand

==============================

So based on EV calculations my play is correct? (if my read on BB folding 90+% of his calls to my reraise is right). I didnt even take fold the little bit of fold equity I create into account, I (OOP) will put him allin on every flop.

Comments?
    • Kaitz20
      Kaitz20
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Diedobal
      Reason I posted this hand is not the hand itself but more the reraising range vs a complete maniac.

My read on BB is solid, he will NEVER call my reraise (unless he has QQ+) so his 3$ invested is 90% dead money.

=====================================
      So the question vs SB is: Is this move EV max?

1) Say he folds 1/2 time: 6$ profit for me = 6$ for 1/2 hands

Even if he calls 1/2 times (and he will call his 6$ left on every flop), his range can be narrowed to 21.5%:
      22+, A3s+, K8s+, QTs+, A7o+, KTo+, QJo

vs this range my equity is 49 vs 51, with the dead money involved this is slighty +ev for me, lets say 0.5$/hand

combine his fold and call range this would give me (6$+0.5$)/2 = +3.5$ for each hand.
      --
      2) Say he fold 2/3 time: 6$ profit for me 2/3 hands

His calling range would be (44/3 = 14.5%): 44, 66+, A7s+, K9s+, QJs, A9o+, KJo+

vs this range my 55 has 44% vs 56% equity, the 3$ dead money makes up for being a slight underdog. --> if he calls with this range I play breakeven.

combine fold and call for 1/3 call range and I'll get (2*6+1*0)/3 = +4$/hand
      ---

3) say he folds 3/4: 6$ profit for 3/4 hands

His calling range would be (44/4 = 11%): 66+, A8s+, KTs+, ATo+

vs this range my 55 has 40% equity, the 3$ dead money involved would minimise my loss to 2$/hand if he calls with this narrow range.

combine fold and call for this 1/4 call range and I'll get (3*6+1*-2)/4= +4.5$/hand

==============================

So based on EV calculations my play is correct? (if my read on BB folding 90+% of his calls to my reraise is right). I didnt even take fold the little bit of fold equity I create into account, I (OOP) will put him allin on every flop.

Comments?
      I´ll understand your thoughts, but why not to play raise pf and since sb is playing 87% hands and raising 44% then get it all-in pf.
      I´d never gonna play limp/raise with 55or AA against maniac.
      Btw since he is maniac, he´ll not folding 1/2 times (probably he isn´t folding almost never against limp/re-raise), so I´d rather take initiative myself pf by raising than go on limp/raise.
      And since SB is middlestack then you can easily shove. No need to see flop.
    • Diedobal
      Diedobal
      Bronze
      I´ll understand your thoughts, but why not to play raise pf and since sb is playing 87% hands and raising 44% then get it all-in pf.
      I´d never gonna play limp/raise with 55or AA against maniac.
      Btw since he is maniac, he´ll not folding 1/2 times (probably he isn´t folding almost never against limp/re-raise), so I´d rather take initiative myself pf by raising than go on limp/raise.
      And since SB is middlestack then you can easily shove. No need to see flop.
      Reasons for the reraise to 2/3 stack SB instead of shove:
      - a shove looks weaker then a reraise vs donks from my experience
      - with a shove my EV with 55 is less vs BB (assuming he'll call shove with the same range as he would call my reraise: QQ+)
      - giving the SB the option to fold to my flop bet