[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH - QJo mid pair

• TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

: $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.90 (95 bb)
      Hero (SB): $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $3.14 (157 bb)
      UTG: $2.57 (128.5 bb)
      MP: $2.42 (121 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J Q
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 4 K J (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks

Turn: ($0.12) T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, BB calls $0.08

River: ($0.28) 7 (3 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.28, Hero calls $0.28

Results:
      $0.84 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: 4 K J T 7
      showed and lostHero mucked J Q and won $0.79 ($0.37 net)
      BB showed A 8 and lost (-$0.42 net)

Villain is 60/40 over 50 hands, 14% fold to cbet over 7 hands.

Pre flop is pretty standard.

On this flop, would you prefer betting or checking? I think there is some value in betting especially against a guy that seems to fold very little, but at the same time I think going for some pot control is pretty good. The only cards we don't really want to see are the non-heart aces on the turn, and allows us to keep his range pretty wide.

On the turn I then decided to make a value bet, which is pretty standard I think.

On the river I wasn't sure if I could go for another street of value. So I decided to go for a check/call to let him bluff his missed draws or weaker Jx/Tx or something. The pot sized bet made me doubt my plan a little, but decided to make the call here anyway.

Thoughts on this? Mostly interested about the best play on the flop here, and how we play the rest of the hand based on whether we bet or checked the flop :)
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I prefer betting the flop here myself. We can take value from his weaker made hands, also don't really mind to pick up the pot right on the flop.
      Another disadvantage of checking is that we are going to have hard time if he starts betting.

As played on the flop, I would just bet/bet both turn and river.
      Don't really like check/calling there as we give him the chance to check back his worse hands and only bet his better.
      When he pots it I'd fold.

Best,
      Plamen