This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] FRNL50 ATs vs Btn Steal

• PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Full Tilt - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $64.60 (VPIP: 23.85, PFR: 17.43, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 225)
      UTG+1: $28.40 (VPIP: 40.54, PFR: 21.62, 3Bet Preflop: 11.76, Hands: 38)
      MP: $20.65 (VPIP: 12.71, PFR: 11.02, 3Bet Preflop: 6.12, Hands: 118)
      MP+1: $44.35 (VPIP: 16.18, PFR: 13.24, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, Hands: 137)
      CO: $53.15 (VPIP: 12.90, PFR: 1.61, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 62)
      BTN: $25.85 (VPIP: 30.54, PFR: 21.56, 3Bet Preflop: 9.84, Hands: 172)
      SB: $17.70 (VPIP: 15.61, PFR: 7.88, 3Bet Preflop: 4.32, Hands: 856)
      Hero (BB): $58.75

SB posts SB $0.25, Hero posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has A:spade: T:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $2.00, fold, Hero calls $1.50, UTG+1 calls $1.50

I call this preflop bet because I think ATs is too strong to fold to a steal. I like to be the aggressor and I prefer to 3B, but I am currently still really confused about when to call a steal attempt and when to re-steal. Is it too weak to just call always (in this situation ATs vs aggro button)?
      (I guess if I don't know how to play in this situation it is better to fold, but I am trying to understand the proper way to handle re-steals/steal-calls).

We don't want to cause the Button to fold the hands we are way ahead of hand-equity wise. I know that he is very aggressive in general, so I don't want to isolate him to just his high range that is likely to 4B us with, since our hand isn't that good.

Flop: ($6.25, 3 players) A:heart: 2:club: 4:diamond: Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, BTN bets $6.25, Hero calls $6.25, fold

He is very aggressive, so I think I should c/r instead of c/c. I don't gain any new information by just calling and if I am ahead I am letting him dictate how the hand goes down, making it really hard to know if I'm ahead. I fear being raised if I just lead out and fear being re-raised after I c/r. I'm basically playing scared not knowing how to react in this position due to the steal from the aggro button.

Turn%s: ($18.75, 2 players) 9:spade: Hero checks, BTN bets $17.60 and is all-in, Hero calls $17.60

Here I feel he is either strongly value betting or strongly bluffing. I have no real draws if I'm behind unless he has a higher kicker and I hit a random T, but I also could be ahead of a lot of his double barrel bluffs he might do with KK, QQ, the 9, or almost any other pocket pair. I made it really hard to know what he could be holding.

I basically think I played too scared and passive, but I am still struggling to see why changing would have been better in this situation.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi.

PF: firstly, this is not a steal. BU iso-raised a fish. Secondly ATs is strong enough to call and too weak to 3b for value so I would call. Thirdly, you want to keep the fish in the hand so calling is better. I do not think that you have value with ATs unless you expect villain to iso-raise A2o+ and also call 3bets with A2o+ and a ton of worse unpaired hands like KTo.

F: Flop is dry so I would check. Leading would be my preferred choice with AQ/AK which I may often flat here to let the fish in. AJ is close and could be a lead too. I Would lead with a wider range if UTG is a weaker player with a wider range.

T: There are virtually no draws, and villain almost always has a strong ace or better here. I think this is a fold. Even with AJ I would consider folding. It's pretty obvious you have an Ace here yourself and I don't think villain is bluffing all that much.

Thanks.