[NL20-NL50] FRNL50 ATs vs Btn Steal

• PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Full Tilt - $0.50 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: $64.60 (VPIP: 23.85, PFR: 17.43, 3Bet Preflop: 6.90, Hands: 225)
      UTG+1: $28.40 (VPIP: 40.54, PFR: 21.62, 3Bet Preflop: 11.76, Hands: 38)
      MP: $20.65 (VPIP: 12.71, PFR: 11.02, 3Bet Preflop: 6.12, Hands: 118)
      MP+1: $44.35 (VPIP: 16.18, PFR: 13.24, 3Bet Preflop: 4.35, Hands: 137)
      CO: $53.15 (VPIP: 12.90, PFR: 1.61, 3Bet Preflop: 4.17, Hands: 62)
      BTN: $25.85 (VPIP: 30.54, PFR: 21.56, 3Bet Preflop: 9.84, Hands: 172)
      SB: $17.70 (VPIP: 15.61, PFR: 7.88, 3Bet Preflop: 4.32, Hands: 856)
      Hero (BB): $58.75

SB posts SB $0.25, Hero posts BB $0.50

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.75) Hero has A:spade: T:spade:

fold, UTG+1 calls $0.50, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to $2.00, fold, Hero calls $1.50, UTG+1 calls $1.50

I call this preflop bet because I think ATs is too strong to fold to a steal. I like to be the aggressor and I prefer to 3B, but I am currently still really confused about when to call a steal attempt and when to re-steal. Is it too weak to just call always (in this situation ATs vs aggro button)?
      (I guess if I don't know how to play in this situation it is better to fold, but I am trying to understand the proper way to handle re-steals/steal-calls).

We don't want to cause the Button to fold the hands we are way ahead of hand-equity wise. I know that he is very aggressive in general, so I don't want to isolate him to just his high range that is likely to 4B us with, since our hand isn't that good.

Flop: ($6.25, 3 players) A:heart: 2:club: 4:diamond: Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, BTN bets $6.25, Hero calls $6.25, fold

He is very aggressive, so I think I should c/r instead of c/c. I don't gain any new information by just calling and if I am ahead I am letting him dictate how the hand goes down, making it really hard to know if I'm ahead. I fear being raised if I just lead out and fear being re-raised after I c/r. I'm basically playing scared not knowing how to react in this position due to the steal from the aggro button.

Turn%s: ($18.75, 2 players) 9:spade: Hero checks, BTN bets $17.60 and is all-in, Hero calls $17.60

Here I feel he is either strongly value betting or strongly bluffing. I have no real draws if I'm behind unless he has a higher kicker and I hit a random T, but I also could be ahead of a lot of his double barrel bluffs he might do with KK, QQ, the 9, or almost any other pocket pair. I made it really hard to know what he could be holding.

I basically think I played too scared and passive, but I am still struggling to see why changing would have been better in this situation.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi.

PF: firstly, this is not a steal. BU iso-raised a fish. Secondly ATs is strong enough to call and too weak to 3b for value so I would call. Thirdly, you want to keep the fish in the hand so calling is better. I do not think that you have value with ATs unless you expect villain to iso-raise A2o+ and also call 3bets with A2o+ and a ton of worse unpaired hands like KTo.

F: Flop is dry so I would check. Leading would be my preferred choice with AQ/AK which I may often flat here to let the fish in. AJ is close and could be a lead too. I Would lead with a wider range if UTG is a weaker player with a wider range.

T: There are virtually no draws, and villain almost always has a strong ace or better here. I think this is a fold. Even with AJ I would consider folding. It's pretty obvious you have an Ace here yourself and I don't think villain is bluffing all that much.

Thanks.