Known players:
      Position:
      Stack
      BB:
      $45.96
      Hero:
      $16.50

0.5/1 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.60 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J:heart: , J:diamond:
      3 folds, Hero raises to $3.50, 2 folds, BB calls $2.50.

Flop: ($7.50) 7:heart: , 2:diamond: , A:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.50, BB calls $4.50.

Turn: ($16.50) 7:club: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $8.50 (All-In), BB calls $8.50.

River: ($33.50) T:heart:

Final Pot: $33.50

Should I lay it down because of the A? He could have any A high or maybe two pairs. I bet a little bit less on than 2/3 on the flop to protect against an A, but should I check behind and then play c/f on river?
  • 9 replies
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      How do you wanna protect against an Ace when there is already one on the board?
      You're saying the he's probably holding an Ace here, so you're behind then. The cbet on the flop is normal, that's ok.

But on the turn it's a c/f. With what do you expect him to call your flopbet?
    • JonatanW
      JonatanW
      Bronze
      What I mean with protect is bet a little less than 2/3 to save money against a re-raise. But that only works if I play c/f on the turn I guess :)
    • DeKuip
      DeKuip
      Bronze
      Originally posted by JonatanW
      But that only works if I play c/f on the turn I guess :)
      Yes, lol.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      I usually dont bet the turn cause those donks always have A.
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by timukasr
      I usually dont bet the turn cause those donks always have A.
      I think he has 72o...

No seriously, this is a typical debate with 1 overcard, especially the Ace
      Does he got it Yes/No?

Your Pot committed on the Turn and that's what counts so wp on that.
    • timukasr
      timukasr
      Bronze
      -EV call imo.

Even if u are pot commited, what point is to call when you know you are beat.
    • CimkoPro
      CimkoPro
      Bronze
      i would bet it on flop like 5.5$ or 6$ and go all in if he reraise or go all in on turn if he just calls on the flop
      Bronze
      Stats aren't very usefull here because of the sample.

You have only 16BB stack, in which case shoving is fast and easy. I see a blocking push here on the flop - If your oponent really is loose, he wants to float you or something (floating a shortie is indeed a stupid idea, but who cares? :) ).

Maybe we'll need a help of another judge here?
    • xarry2
      xarry2
      Bronze
      without reads I don't like the push on the turn.

lets start with the flop. of course we cbet. my cbet here is like 4$ (4.5$ is okay but it shouldn't be more). on such a board a cbet usually creates much foldequity and besides the ace this flop isn't easy to hit... 72o of course...
      on dry boards (especially this one with a-hi) even half pot cbets often create almost the same foldequity as something like 2/3 pot. even if the foldequity decreases a bit we have no problem just because a smaller cbet doesn't need high fold equity to be +EV.
      thats why i usually cbet between 50 and 70% potsize. 50% on dry board like this one, 60% on semi drawy boards, 2/3 pot and higher on quite drawy boards or if I have a big stack left (because then my opponents have implied odds with their draws)

to come to this hand, without reads: cbet flop 4$, fold to a c/r, check behind turn after a call and usually fold the river to a bet, else check behind.
      on such a flop we jsut don't get enough calls by worse hands to justifiy pushing the turn. and in addition many weak hands will fold to a 2nd bet from us. if i face a callingstation i push the turn but else i don't think its good play.