I am a fish

• iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      I do not understand, I think it is a lot to do with my patience. I love poker I'm willing to learn poker played and lost silly amounts of money to it over a few years but still always pulls me back in.

I'm 22 work 8-4 have a little girl so from 7 onwards I'm free and rather than slouching in front of the TV or spending hours on xbox etc I would prefer to put my time into learning the game and making a small profit at the same time even a few hundred $ a month I would be over the moon with!

I've only ever played sit n go's this time I tried Micro nl4 for the first time on ipoker, tried to play tight aggressive I was 6 tabling and playing it for the last few days, I loosing loads still I can not grasp what I'm doing wrong exactly.

Sit n go's I did turn my last $50 br into $200 but that was over a month or two of $1.50 - $3.50 FR games, though the rake on these was so unreal I had to win so many to make any sort of profit and it seems to take a lot longer to clear bonus's am I correct?

I've watched all the video's had all my calling ranges to hand and still I can not get the hang off it,

If anyone could point me in the direction of perhaps a good book or any advice I would be much greatful!

Also on what game I should focus on, I am not playing to make a career off it and I don't mind grinding out micro limits am I right in saying micro sng's are just too hard to make any profit?

Thanks in advance!
  • 13 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi iFortunatus,

You see that really big green link at the bottom of my post? - click it!don't mess about, just click it!

Also, when you play, if you have a hand - any hand - that made you hesitate and go 'Hmmmm...' then save it and post it in the hand evaluation forums for no limit 4 ok? Our hand evaluators are the nuts and will give oyu all the advice you will need to eat these games! True story!

Here is the link:

http://www.pokerstrategy.com/forum/board.php?boardid=1387

Just start a thread, ask a question, post a hand and off you go! Easy game :) Please try to include as much information as you can about the hand, inxluding any past history or statistics you have on the enemy ok?
      If you are unsure of how to ask a question or what question to ask, try reading posts made by other members to get the idea.

Here are some helpful hints on how to post a hand properly to get the best response:

How to post a hand for discussion

As for the question of what game to play, I really think that is an issue for yourself but I am willing to be educated on that. My opinion (my opinion only) is that which game you play depends on which game you enjoy the most, or want to try the most. I would suggest sticking to one game type though, whichever it is, until you get good at it. Getting good at it enables you to make an informed decision as to whether the game 'suits' you or not.

I hope this helped but if you need any other help please ask, we will try our utmost to get you the help you need to succeed.

Have fun and have patience,

Mal.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Whew, nearly forgot!

You are not a fish or you wouldn't be here asking for help. :s_cool:

Regards,

Mal.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      +1 to everything Mal said.

The only thing I want to add is that maybe you might not want to start playing 6 tables. Try 1/2 tables to start with, and gradually add tables as you start feeling comfortable playing your current amount of tables.

This is also something that's touched on pretty in-depth during the NL beginner's course Mal suggested you take and is pretty important. Perhaps you're playing too many tables, meaning you might not learn as much as you could when playing just 3 tables for example.

So that's also something to watch for :)

Also, I don't really think you necessarily have to get a book. PokerStrategy offers basically everything you need, especially for the micro limits. And what's best, it's free, while books are not ;)

Good luck with all the learning and playing!

And take good care of that little girl of yours, that's more important than anything! :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Can't add a lot at the moment that beats that reply!

Regards,

Mal.
    • football123
      football123
      Basic
      If you're looking for books super system is the best one to start with.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      +1 to everything Mal said.

The only thing I want to add is that maybe you might not want to start playing 6 tables. Try 1/2 tables to start with, and gradually add tables as you start feeling comfortable playing your current amount of tables.

This is also something that's touched on pretty in-depth during the NL beginner's course Mal suggested you take and is pretty important. Perhaps you're playing too many tables, meaning you might not learn as much as you could when playing just 3 tables for example.

So that's also something to watch for :)

Also, I don't really think you necessarily have to get a book. PokerStrategy offers basically everything you need, especially for the micro limits. And what's best, it's free, while books are not ;)

Good luck with all the learning and playing!

And take good care of that little girl of yours, that's more important than anything! :)
      +1 on playing too many tables. So many players, new and old, play far too many tables and it really affects their game. They're too influenced by the lure of bonuses or want to make big bucks fast and just completely destroy their game. I'd advise anyone starting to never play more than 2 tables -- just play more hands on these tables, put yourself in difficult spots where you need to rely on your hand reading skills, make those sick bluffs and learn from it. You learn nothing but ABC from multi-tabling.
    • darkpenance0
      darkpenance0
      Bronze
      making a small profit at the same time even a few hundred $ a month I would be over the moon with!
      The best way to make a quick profit playing poker is getting yourself an account on 888, deposit like $80 and then play the 9.00 p.m $2 buy in tournment (i can't remember the name of it). Play solid hands in solid positions and you will make a nice return on that. I made over a grand in a month from those tournaments alone. I once had a back to back 1st and 2nd, probably the best ive ever done playing MTTs. (I still dont know why I withdrew from 888, i've never made the same amount of money on any other site)

I've only ever played sit n go's this time I tried Micro nl4 for the first time on ipoker, tried to play tight aggressive I was 6 tabling and playing it for the last few days, I loosing loads still I can not grasp what I'm doing wrong exactly.
      Sit n Go's are really hard to make any profit from, a few years ago like 2006 - 2008 you could win decent on those games but players are far to savy now and everyone pretty much knows the 'correct' way of beating those games. If you wanna make money don't play Sng's, your much better off playing MTTs, games that have 90+ runners, more bad players play those games.

If your new to the game then multi tabling is a big no no, I've been playing online poker for like 7 years and I still can't multi table effecrively, 3 tables is my optimum, anymore than that and I play badly. You need to start with 1 or 2 tables and if you make a regular profit then try 3 tables. I think everyone has an optimum though, some people (like me) just can't focus their mind on 4+ tables so don't feel you have to mutli table to make money, you don't.

If anyone could point me in the direction of perhaps a good book or any advice I would be much greatful!
      The problem with books is:-
      1.They cost money
      2.They don't update, so if you buy a book that came out in like 2005 alot of the theory will now be outdated.

Online is free and is updated to keep pace with the current poker trends.

An example would be Harrington on Hold em where he suggests raising 3x as standard mixed in with 4x and a few 2x and 5x. Nobody really raises 3x past like the first 3 blind levels and only idiots would raise 5x. Today you wanna raise like 2x and 2.5x.
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      Thank you for the replies I've taken note and will take a punt at some MTT's and let you know how I get on I've stopped multi tabling also now playing some NL2 slowly thinking about every hand and throwing in a few MTT as my second table.

Also going to start making more use of the hand evaluation section as I've never used it at all!
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      Okay so I started playing NL2 full ring, I was playing well first few k hands then I hit a major tilt lost 5 bi calling stupid things don't know why I done it but last 3k hands or so I'm still loosing loads.

I'm using pokertracker and looking at my "leaktracker" report I'm in the green on nearly everything...

I'm using hud but if I'm totally honest I don't know how to use this to my advantage I really am a :f_confused:

• ProfitsofDoom
      ProfitsofDoom
      Basic
      Crushing the Microstakes by BlackRain79 is a good book to start with for nano stakes. I've read it a couple times now. That book and Leakbuster are what got me started in cash games.

"I'm using pokertracker and looking at my "leaktracker" report I'm in the green on nearly everything... "

I can't knock Leaktracker because it is free with PT4, but i found the info a bit too general. I needed a lot of help, and more detailed analysis, so i switched to Leakbuster when it came out for PT3/PT4.

Don't get discouraged, you have to start somewhere. Just keep working on the fundamentals.
    • iFortunatus
      iFortunatus
      Bronze
      Update :

So I moved my role to 888 to see if it was any softer.. I've played like 4K hands so far and I like it, I'm only 3/100bb but I'm learning alot, I also just shipped my first ever tournament,

$500 depositors free role for $135 so well happy!!
    • Saravan
      Saravan
      Global
      Of course, all properly written TinoLaan. I would advise to go back to the micro-limmits and play no more than 2 tables. After that, when you will feel confident to increase the pace - 3,4,6 tables. Best suited tournaments in the style of Sit & Go. [Edited by HollyMichelle - we do not allow advertising on our forum.]
    • thirit2
      thirit2
      Basic
      Originally posted by iFortunatus
      I do not understand, I think it is a lot to do with my patience. I love poker I'm willing to learn poker played and lost silly amounts of money to it over a few years but still always pulls me back in.

I'm 22 work 8-4 have a little girl so from 7 onwards I'm free and rather than slouching in front of the TV or spending hours on xbox etc I would prefer to put my time into learning the game and making a small profit at the same time even a few hundred $ a month I would be over the moon with!

Sit n go's I did turn my last $50 br into $200 but that was over a month or two of $1.50 - $3.50 FR games, though the rake on these was so unreal I had to win so many to make any sort of profit and it seems to take a lot longer to clear bonus's am I correct?

I've watched all the video's had all my calling ranges to hand and still I can not get the hang off it,

Also on what game I should focus on, I am not playing to make a career off it and I don't mind grinding out micro limits am I right in saying micro sng's are just too hard to make any profit?

Thanks in advance!
      If you want to play mtt/sngs I recommend daniel negreanu's books.