This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL2 SH - Q9o

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $3.85 (192.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.05 (52.5 bb)
      SB: $2.18 (109 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2 (100 bb)
      MP: $2.11 (105.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q 9
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.06, Hero calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 2 5 Q (2 players)
      SB bets $0.08, Hero calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.28) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.28) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

Results:
      $0.60 pot ($0.04 rake)
      Final Board: 2 5 Q K 8
      SB showed 9 6 and lost (-$0.30 net)
      Hero mucked Q 9 and won $0.56 ($0.26 net)

Villain is a reg, 25/22 over 208 hands.

Blind vs blind, is it fine to defend here with the Q9?

Post flop, I figured calling the flop would be best, in position. No value in raising with top pair/weak kicker. On the turn I figured checking it back would be best, even though some draws appeared now.

I think most aggressive regs here will fire their FDs or JT type hands here, so I wasn't really too worried about those. If he would have bet the turn, I would have folded though.

On the river I think bluffcatching is pretty standard? I just showed so much weakness that I think he's going to be firing here pretty often. Because I expected him to barrel the turn with a turned FD, I wasn't really afraid of the third diamond. Similarly, I'd expect him to bet a K on the turn as well.

So is this a completely standard hand?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: looks fine but 3-betting would make your hand easier to play (as a bluff).

Postflop: Your line is perfectly fine unless you can expect some really light calls on the turn.

Well played.