Advance late game play

• Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      When I am playing 45man MTT final table (or bubble) I see players with 10bb left limp when they should go All-in pre-flop and if the flop is dry they push All-in. Plus they have so many ways to play this strategy.

Sometimes they mid-raise pre-flop and pretend as if they are slowing playing pocket Aces.

It seem like a good strategy since going all-in preflop wont having any fold equity against the big stacks and they will call with a wide range. Also it is hard for villain to put you on a hand on the flop or turn even the river and you can pretend as if your slowing playing pocket premuim pairs.

I see players move from 9th spot to challenging for top spot with this strategy.

I am still studying this advance pushing or advance late game play. I will try to find some more examples.

Do you guys have this play in your Tourney Rep and what is the full strategy?
  • 6 replies
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey Acespeci,

I am sorry for my delayed answer, but I had some serious internet connectivity problems within the last two weeks and therefore I wasn't able to go through the forums.

Regarding your question:
      I don't think it is a good idea to play tricky with 10BB or less in most spots. It might (!) make sense to open raise from late position instead of open pushing if the blinds are very tight and you get first in. Pushing wouldn't get you a higher FE. Instead, it would lead to more awareness of your stacksize and therefore a bigger calling range from the blinds.

In addition I will open limp KK+ in some spots on very aggressive tables in order to get more value out of my premium hand. It's a lot riskier then open pushing it, but longterm it might give you a few extra chips.

Hope I was able to help.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      I have found out about this advance late game play.

It is call Stop and Go!

I didnt know what it is when I first started playing 45man MTT and I didnt learned it from the pokerstrategy articles. I saw players using it profitably and just followed and added it to my Poker Repertoire. :]

I was reading someones blog and I saw this poker term then I researched it on google. Now I understand the poker technique and when to use it.
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Stop and Go!

It will avoid you from getting knock out. I dont use ICM or ICM calculator anymore :f_biggrin:

10BB push/fold poker is for begginners
    • Backcushion
      Backcushion
      Bronze
      Using it vs regs is pointless, any reasonable reg will snapcall you.
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      They may call but fold post flop even to min size bet :f_biggrin:
    • ShreddedLettuce
      ShreddedLettuce
      Bronze
      IME 45 man or any final table will have a big stack(and a hugh money jump between top two and the rest, especially if you're sitting on 10 bigs (your blinds eventually found there way into his stack, get them back with confidence).

I would wait for the right spot and get them in good and double up.
      It happens more often than not.

It's a sickening feeling just watching your chips getting blinded away, nevermind now only having 6 BB after the limping "attempts".

I'm just writting as I'm thinking so please don't take anything the wrong way, but watching others get lucky is a highway to tiltsville and bubblesville, IME anyway.

Just my 2 cents