That didn't go so well...

• harveymeale
      harveymeale
      Bronze
      So I start with a $53 bankroll and buyin for $2.50 on 4 tables. After 20 minutes I'm down to a $41 bankroll and my head is in my hands wondering how this just happened.

Did I just play bad? Maybe I rushed into things? No doubt there were a few early coolers and some bad beats. I didn't get lucky once. I know I was perhaps playing a little loose for 1c/2c, though.

Have you any tips on how I can reverse my 'luck' before going again?
  • 8 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi harveymeale,

I've moved this to Beginner Questions for you, it's more appropriate. :)

Regards,

Mal.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Harveymeale

Have you been playing cash games or tourney's? If you were playing tourney's (MTT's or SnG's) you're probably out of bankroll management SnG, bankroll management MTT's.

If you played cashgames it looks like you played nl2 (blinds 0,01/0,02) and that is within your bankroll management. It could be that you have been unlucky, but losing so much money on nl2 within such a small period of time is impressive. Sounds to me like there is some bad play in there as well.

Whatever you are doing I suggest you go thru our articles and improve your game.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask them!

Regards

RasTweet
    • harveymeale
      harveymeale
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Yes, I've been playing cash games (full ring). Buying in for $5 a table and playing 4-7 tables. Last night I had my first good session finishing +$6 overall. Today's session ended with me breaking even.

I'm still perfecting a strategy and it's no longer a losing strategy but I'm just looking for the formula that will turn it into a consistent winning strategy.

Here's what I've got.

- Don't add more than 4 tables within first 5 minutes and without being positive on all current tables!
      - When in doubt, FOLD/Check!
      - Attack the blinds (raise to 6) when no one limps - FOLD TO RE-RAISE!
      - Don't play Ace/Rag from early/mid!
      - Limp Ace/Rag from late!
      - DON'T BLUFF!
      - Raise premium pocket pairs from anywhere!
      - Call up to 8 on a preflop raise with a low pocket pair!
      - Fold your small pocket pair post-flop if you don't hit!
      - If folded/limped around and you're in the small blind, call to see the flop! Fold any re-raise!
      - Limp with Ace/King and call up to 8 preflop out of position and up to 12 in position!

That's what I've been doing for the past couple of days. As I said, it's doing alright. My bankroll moved up from $32 to $38 now.

My question is, what can I do to alter the above strategy to make for more winning sessions? It's really frustrating at times folding suited A9 because I'm playing really tight pre-flop. Sometimes my discipline faults and I play that hand, usually to no avail.

Any tips? <3
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      One tip...read the basic strategy articles and follow the starting hands chart.

You will soon see, where your strategy is severely flawed.
    • BULLMONEY
      BULLMONEY
      Bronze
      Ur BanKrOLL iS $53 n U r Buying in for $5 a table and playing 4-7 tables :facepalm:

U SiR r liTRaRY rAPiNg The BrM

sO MovE To 100 bI rULE oR AtLEAST 25Bi Or Else U WiLL NOt Be abLE TO HoLD ON During VarIANcE n END uP BuSTiNg uR whole BR
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BULLMONEY
      Ur BanKrOLL iS $53 n U r Buying in for $5 a table and playing 4-7 tables :facepalm:

U SiR r liTRaRY rAPiNg The BrM

sO MovE To 100 bI rULE oR AtLEAST 25Bi Or Else U WiLL NOt Be abLE TO HoLD ON During VarIANcE n END uP BuSTiNg uR whole BR
      I have to agree here. But it still looks like you're playing nl2 so thats good. My tip would be stop playing the deepstack tables. (tables where you can buy in for $5) Start playing tables where you can buy in for $2 max with blinds 0,01/0,02. The strategy articles are about 100bb play and not 250bb play.

Also keep playing really tight pre! People in the micro's are so bad and playing tight isn't an issue at all.

Regards

RasTweet
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Play less tables dude.

It takes a while to be able to profitably play 4+ tables so stick with 2 and think through each stage of each hand take some notes practice hand reading even in the hands you are not involved in and slowly add tables when you can crush the game with 2 tables then 3 and 4 etc, jumping straight in at 6 tables will destroy your BR in no time
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by harveymeale
      - Don't add more than 4 tables within first 5 minutes and without being positive on all current tables!
      - When in doubt, FOLD/Check!
      - Attack the blinds (raise to 6) when no one limps - FOLD TO RE-RAISE!
      - Don't play Ace/Rag from early/mid!
      - Limp Ace/Rag from late!
      - DON'T BLUFF!
      - Raise premium pocket pairs from anywhere!
      - Call up to 8 on a preflop raise with a low pocket pair!
      - Fold your small pocket pair post-flop if you don't hit!
      - If folded/limped around and you're in the small blind, call to see the flop! Fold any re-raise!
      - Limp with Ace/King and call up to 8 preflop out of position and up to 12 in position!
      add this to the top of the list:
      - NO LIMPING ALLOWED

:D

but yeah imo you should start reading the strategy articles :)

gl