MTT $2.20 PokerStars

• miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Hello all,

Moderator: Sorry if it’s not the correct place to put this post, change it at your free will.

Intro:
      Since this is my first post from so long in the poker world, have decided to get the books back, poker software, math, etc to return to the game. Me and some colleagues at work decided to play poker (SNG) at home and the bug come back. Actually, the home thing is working quite nice, first investment was only 40USD and now after 16 games I’m up for 2.300USD.

Have tried four years ago, however had to move from place to place for a while and decided to give poker a shot once more.Then the bug came back and got my PS account back, got my 7USD :) back and started playing for it.

Having the most fun with it, my 7USD are now up to 900USD, because I played seven 2.20USD MTTs and three of them, went to the final table, 2 of them 9th place. And the last one I ended up in 1st place (we made a deal and I was chip leader, I ended up with 800USD and 2nd and third divided the rest of profits).

What I want from this post is, I’ll be making some notes on my game play (Since I really want to understand my game) and the MTTs I’ll play and ask for your opinions should I have done that, should I not have done that, even if it worked out, was it pure luck, was it TAG, was it LAG. First of all, I’ll post the videos of the winner I had.

The 1st and 2nd MTT, I have to be honest, was the first final table for me, so I ended up at 7th and 9th because I was happy. Just through my chips away. NOTE: They were played at the same time.

This is the 1st prize winner. Feel free to say whatever you want about my game.

I'm also posting this video, because beguinners like me also want to see the hands folded (we feel better that way :P )

And thank you in advance,
  • 11 replies
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      One more thing, since now I have +/- 400 BI for this tournement, I would like to know your opinions on how to play them.

I really want to be good at MTTs: I studied pretty hard on pokerstrategy articles, read a lot of books including Dan Harrington...

Do you have some thoughts?

Thank in advanced,
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      My question is since this low limit MTTs there’s a lot of shove and re-raises with real, real strange hands, wouldn't be better to just call the re-raises, even with AA, KK, and wait to see the Flop. At least if we have the chips to survive and get ITM. When we get ITM, then it’s worth trying to double up to get to the final table. Just wondering your opinion.

I've been losing a lot with Premium Hands such as AA, KK, AK, QQ… I don’t mind this on SNG where you just open another table and go for it, but on an MTT I think it’s a waste of time, if we don’t get at least ITM. This hand for example, got me to a 67th place (ITM), however, I lost the tournament because, maybe I should wait to see the flop, and check his reaction, if the flop might of been in his hand range... If I thought he might have a Q or a T.

PokerStars - $2+$0.20|125/250 Ante 25 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 21.01 BB (VPIP: 21.01, PFR: 5.13, 3Bet Preflop: 9.38, Hands: 121)
      BTN: 42.52 BB (VPIP: 24.39, PFR: 14.63, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 42)
      SB: 16.32 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 9)
      Hero (BB): 18.95 BB
      UTG: 42.1 BB (VPIP: 22.41, PFR: 7.96, 3Bet Preflop: 10.26, Hands: 117)
      UTG+1: 32.76 BB (VPIP: 34.48, PFR: 32.14, 3Bet Preflop: 42.86, Hands: 30)
      MP: 20.67 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 24)
      MP+1: 16.33 BB (VPIP: 24.39, PFR: 2.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)

8 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, fold, Hero raises to 5 BB, UTG raises to 15 BB, fold, Hero raises to 18.85 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 3.85 BB

Flop: (40 BB, 2 players) Q:diamond: Q:heart: T:heart:
      Turn%s: (40 BB, 2 players) 8:club:
      River%s: (40 BB, 2 players) 9:heart:

Hero shows A:heart: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Queens) (Pre 81%, Flop 17%, Turn 9%)
      UTG shows T:club: T:diamond: (Full House, Tens full of Queens) (Pre 19%, Flop 83%, Turn 91%)
      UTG wins 40 BB

I know that the chance of doubling up would put me eventually on the Final Table, and we have to take some chances, but... I don't know... Give me your thoughts.

Here's another one,

I know I shouldn't have played with ATo, however when I have a chance to limp with "nice" hands I try too... This one got me to 56th (ITM).

PokerStars - $2.50+$0.25|1500/3000 Ante 300 NL - Holdem - 8 players

UTG+1: 0.26 BB (VPIP: 5.95, PFR: 5.80, 3Bet Preflop: 3.33, Hands: 84)
      MP: 54.25 BB (VPIP: 9.68, PFR: 3.23, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
      MP+1: 56.68 BB (VPIP: 34.15, PFR: 19.51, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)
      CO: 16.69 BB (VPIP: 22.73, PFR: 10.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 22)
      BTN: 17.73 BB (VPIP: 24.39, PFR: 17.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)
      Hero (SB): 22.56 BB
      BB: 71.73 BB (VPIP: 19.51, PFR: 17.50, 3Bet Preflop: 10.53, Hands: 41)
      UTG: 80.55 BB (VPIP: 34.15, PFR: 7.32, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 41)

8 players post ante of 0.1 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.3 BB) Hero has T:heart: A:club:

UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, CO calls 1 BB, fold, Hero calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (4.8 BB, 4 players) 2:spade: T:spade: T:diamond: Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, CO checks

Turn%s: (4.8 BB, 4 players) K:heart: Hero bets 2 BB, fold, UTG calls 2 BB, fold

River%s: (8.8 BB, 2 players) 5:club: Hero bets 7 BB, UTG raises to 14 BB, Hero raises to 19.46 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 5.46 BB

Hero shows T:heart: A:club: (Three of a Kind, Tens) (Pre 74%, Flop 76%, Turn 7%)
      UTG shows K:spade: T:club: (Full House, Tens full of Kings) (Pre 26%, Flop 24%, Turn 93%)
      UTG wins 47.71 BB

Here's another, How can a guy call me with QJ...

PokerStars - $3+$0.30|40/80 NL - Holdem - 9 players

UTG+2: 55.29 BB (VPIP: 39.39, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
      MP: 58.81 BB (VPIP: 41.07, PFR: 19.64, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 56)
      MP+1: 53.63 BB (VPIP: 29.41, PFR: 5.88, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 34)
      Hero (CO): 12.58 BB
      BTN: 36.69 BB (VPIP: 10.77, PFR: 3.08, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
      SB: 18.85 BB (VPIP: 9.23, PFR: 6.15, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
      BB: 50.81 BB (VPIP: 22.73, PFR: 7.58, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 66)
      UTG: 51.49 BB (VPIP: 27.45, PFR: 11.76, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 51)
      UTG+1: 31.25 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has K:diamond: K:heart:

fold, fold, UTG+2 raises to 3 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 12.58 BB and is all-in, fold, fold, fold, UTG+2 calls 9.58 BB

Flop: (26.65 BB, 2 players) A:diamond: Q:heart: 2:diamond:
      Turn%s: (26.65 BB, 2 players) 6:spade:
      River%s: (26.65 BB, 2 players) Q:club:

UTG+2 shows Q:spade: J:spade: (Three of a Kind, Queens) (Pre 18%, Flop 16%, Turn 11%)
      Hero shows K:diamond: K:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens) (Pre 82%, Flop 84%, Turn 89%)
      UTG+2 wins 26.65 BB

TIA,
      MR
    • marcepoker17
      marcepoker17
      Bronze
      Hi miguelrebelo

Imo in the last hand he calls you just bc he has to put 10bb more to win 26bb, con QJs is not so bad, plus he has a decent stack to risk it.

The first two hands are simply a cooler, you could argue about raising the limper with ATo from sb, but in a 2$ mtt he would probably call anyway with KTo and it will end the same way.

About your question, when you have AA/KK, I believe that especially because you are in low limits where players are so happy to call a push or big 3bets with wilder range that they should it would be a waste to let them see the flop chip and give them the possibility to get away every time they don't hit top pair.
      If you know they call you it's good to try to get always as much value as you can in those spots.

I'm sorry for the videos but since I can't skip the hands where you don't play I don't have the time to watch it.

If you have other questions let me know.

Regards

GL
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Thank you GL, well sorry for the video, I know it's long, but I needed to see what I actually folded, since I was very concentrated in the game that day. :)

Will try to make the video only with hands I play... Will post it today.

I know that we should be happy for a call on this cases, the winning percentage times, are vey high, and we all see our faces when we get them, especially if we're near the final table, but its a big cooler to loose them when you're so close... That's what makes me wonder what to do...

I which I could go higher in limits to avoid this type of game and situations, but BM and my self ego, won't let me go yet. My game isn't good enough for higher limits.

actually I also think that in this three cases, when ITM is from 400 and something players, they tend to tighten from 100 down, the ITM difference is so little, that they want to stay, however I'm no saying QJs depending on situation of table is not a good or bad hand, but I think on a real or a not so low limit game, they would actually fold. The blinds are also so big that its not worth the call with QJs, specially if the table sees me as TAG, which brings me to another question,

Do this type of players regard the stats, type of players, etc in this low limit MTTs?
    • marcepoker17
      marcepoker17
      Bronze
      Originally posted by miguelrebelo
      Thank you GL, well sorry for the video, I know it's long, but I needed to see what I actually folded, since I was very concentrated in the game that day. :)

Will try to make the video only with hands I play... Will post it today.

I know that we should be happy for a call on this cases, the winning percentage times, are vey high, and we all see our faces when we get them, especially if we're near the final table, but its a big cooler to loose them when you're so close... That's what makes me wonder what to do...

I which I could go higher in limits to avoid this type of game and situations, but BM and my self ego, won't let me go yet. My game isn't good enough for higher limits.

actually I also think that in this three cases, when ITM is from 400 and something players, they tend to tighten from 100 down, the ITM difference is so little, that they want to stay, however I'm no saying QJs depending on situation of table is not a good or bad hand, but I think on a real or a not so low limit game, they would actually fold. The blinds are also so big that its not worth the call with QJs, specially if the table sees me as TAG, which brings me to another question,

Do this type of players regard the stats, type of players, etc in this low limit MTTs?

Hi,

about the video is not a matter of not showing your folded hands, but you need, if you want other to watch it, to post the video with a hand history replayer!

With that it's possible to see all your hands, even the one you fold and skip them until the ones you played.

I'm not sure that you can avoid this problem just playing higher limits, even if you had the right BR.

Players tend to tight up when the bubble is close, that's why bigger stack try to take advantage and call wider.

Imo in a higher limit, with a bunch of good regs on your table, UTG+2 QJs is gonna be a opening 2x/2,3x (not a limp) so then your 9/9,5BB repush it would be an easy snap call.

I think not many players in low limits use the HUD, so I don't think they watch the stats.

You need to think that in some spots the stats and the type of player is less important and the main factor you take in consideration is odds in relationship of your stack (and other stacks).

Btw GL mean Good Luck.. =)

Regards

Marce
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Is there any other hand replayer more convenient for poker strategy? Only could find this one... Sorry.

http://www.pokerhandreplays.com/flash/TexasReplayer.swf?sessionid=57825

The /flash doesn't work here... And it's not that good.

Is there a good hand replayer you'd recommend? I think pokerstrategy hand allows only one hand...

LOL about the GL, saw it as a signature... :)
    • marcepoker17
      marcepoker17
      Bronze
      Hi,

I'm sorry but the video doesn't seem to work!

Well, if you want something free I know just Universal Replayer that is very simple and easy, it does his job!

Obv the best thing you could do would be purchased Holdem Manager2 or Poker Tracker4.
      Imo I don't think you should buy one of them if you do that just for a hand replayer, they are great analyzing softwares that you should have but for other reasons.

:)
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Hi, I have poker tracker 4 but they I can only export it to video or to a txt file...
    • marcepoker17
      marcepoker17
      Bronze
      Oh sorry..
      you meant an hand replayer that allows you to post the video here on PS..

I really don't know this.!

Sorry I can't be helpful! :(
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey miguelrebelo and welcome to the tournament strategy forum =)

Most coaches produce their videos using the "universal replayer" (just google it) as well as camtasia (for recording). It's always beneficial to comment on your plays. That way you will get way more feedback because people are more willing to watch it.

Without your comments it's kinda lame to watch 2 hours of non-stop card dealing ;)

If you want a more accurate feedback you will have to go through the hands yourself, search for spots were you weren't sure of the right action and post these hands in our hand evaluation forums, where our professional hand judges will have a look at it.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to watch your whole video. So I can't give you any feedback on the hands played.

I wish you best of luck for your next tournaments and I hope to see further postings from you in the future. If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • miguelrebelo
      miguelrebelo
      Bronze
      Hello Asaban,

thank you for your reply. I know it's kind of boring to watch it :) Have been looking for my leaks using PokerTracker 4 and found a lot. Went to strategy articles and have been doing some hand evaluation on the forum also.

Been practicing some tables.

Thank you,

as soon as I have some more news on my tournaments I'll post more.

Thank you,