[NL2-NL10] NL10 KJo

• tommygecko
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $3.12 (31.2 bb)
      SB: $12.76 (127.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $12.24 (122.4 bb)
      MP: $5.80 (58 bb)
      CO: $8.52 (85.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K J
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 7 K 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.20) J (2 players)
      SB bets $0.60, Hero raises to $1.50, SB calls $0.90

River: ($4.20) K (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3

$10.20 pot ($0.46 rake)
      Final Board: 7 K 8 J K
      SB mucked A K and lost (-$5.10 net)
      Hero showed K J and won $9.74 ($4.64 net)

Pre: I think my hand isn't strong enough to 3b for value and too strong to 3b as a bluff so I think call is best vs unknown.

flop: Standard call with top pair.

turn: When he bets 1/2 pot again I'm putting him on some weak TP, Jx , straight draws , flush draws or combo draws. Vs that range I'm raising for value. Maybe 1.8-2.1 would be better.

River: All draws on the turn missed, while weak TP now have trips. I'm not sure if trips will call an overbet shove. I think 75% is best here.
  • 2 replies
    • cutegoldfish
      Pre flop - I think the main value of this hand comes from playing flops against his weaker range and having him make the mistake of betting too much and folding too much to us since we are in position. So call is great

Flop - agree with your analysis

Turn - the raise is way too small. This boardis so ddrawy many hands are calling I'll raise big like

River - plays itself
    • luizsilveira
      Yeah, raise bigger turn. Just, prior to raising, have a plan of what to do if he shoves.

I'd bet bigger on the river. At least $3.2, maybe $3.5. Depending on villain, $3.9. Those extra BB make a lot of difference on winrate in the longrun.

My logic for that is that his range is somewhat polarized: if he has busted draws he is not calling pot size but is not calling $1 either anyway. On the other hand, a K is not folding - could fold to a shove, but is never folding to a potsize. His hand look a lot like KQ or KTish. So no reason to bet any smaller as the same hands will call/fold regardless of bet size.

Plus, you'll look a lot like busted draw which wants fold equity and he might find a call from time to time with QQ (since the second K hit it's less probably you have a K).

Lastly, I'd make a note on his bet sizes for future use.

Quite a bit of value there. If you raise turn to $2, river would have $5. Bet $4.6 and you'd have made 21BB more. That's a lot/100.