[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Sh - Kk

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $2.13 (106.5 bb)
      MP: $1.90 (95 bb)
      Hero (CO): $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.42 (71 bb)
      SB: $1.98 (99 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K K
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN folds, SB calls $0.05, BB folds

Flop: ($0.14) 7 2 3 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.09, SB raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.15

Turn: ($0.62) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

River: ($1.42) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Results:
      $1.42 pot ($0.09 rake)
      Final Board: 7 2 3 5 4
      Hero mucked K K and lost (-$0.70 net)
      SB showed 8 A and won $1.33 ($0.63 net)

Villain is a reg, 19/17 over 700 hands.

What kind of range can we put villain on here, when he calls out of position? I was thinking something along the lines of this?

99-22,ATs-A2s,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,ATo-A9o,KJo+,QJo

I think he could also definitely 3bet some of those hands, such as small suited Aces or suited connectors, but I also think he might be capable of calling with these hands. Honestly not a 100% sure, so this is a bit of guesswork on my part.

When he check/raises this flop, I put him pretty much on draws or perhaps something like an overpair or set. So I guess something like this:

99-77,33-22,KsQs,KsJs,QsJs,AsTs,KsTs,QsTs,JsTs,As9s,Ts9s,As8s,9s8s,As7s,8s7s,As6s,As5s,As4s,As3s,As2s

Against this range of course we're still a favorite. So I decided to call in position to keep his draws in. I think by 3betting here we often isolate ourselves against the stronger part of his range, and he'll probably just fold 88 or 99. Or can we expect him to get the money in here against a reg when he only has a flush draw (perhaps FD + gutshot) and maybe an overcard?

Turn wasn't too much of a scare card for me. The only draw it completed was A4, of which he pretty much only has one combination, because I don't think he'll check/raise the flop with just a gutshot.

However, would it be better to shove the turn for value? I feel like I let him draw a little too cheap here. I also think that when he check/raises, he's going to barrel essentially his entire range on this turn card, so his range doesn't really get any stronger on this turn.

As played the 4 is a pretty terrible card. He has a ton of Ax in his range, so I don't really think there's a lot of value in betting the river.

Thoughts on my line and the range I assigned to villain here?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I would add at least 1 BB to our flop bet and given the amount of overpairs and even draws I think we can just 3-bet the flop, or actually just shove the turn.

Why do you think that you isolate yourself by raising? If he raised a draw he is generally not folding it.
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Silver
      I guess that makes sense. If he has a draw here I suppose it's true he won't intend on folding it.

Are there players against which we should just call on the flop then? For example super passive players? Or are we basically always getting it in here on the flop/turn?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      I guess that makes sense. If he has a draw here I suppose it's true he won't intend on folding it.

Are there players against which we should just call on the flop then? For example super passive players? Or are we basically always getting it in here on the flop/turn?
      For example players that love to raise with a lot of speculative hands but don't stack off light.

So in that case you want to call to let them continue bluffing.