[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL20, Kings

• zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      CO: $21.87 - 29/21, 180 hands. 3bet 9,3%. He had once 3bet from SB and once from CO, but mostly 3bets from BB. Aggression frequency 52% (47, 71, 36). I have a note that he 3bet QQ BBvsBU and shoved on 994. And another note that he opened CO, called SB 3bet, called Js8s4 flop, bet 1/2pot on 4 turn and folded to c/r allin. Not that useful notes but that's all I've got.
      BTN: $20.16
      SB: $13.39
      BB: $20.00
      Hero (UTG): $20.30

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero is UTG with K :heart: K :club:
      Hero raises to $0.60, CO raises to $1.80, 3 folds, Hero raises to $4.60, CO calls $2.80

Flop: ($9.50) 9 :spade: A :diamond: 2 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Turn: ($9.50) 2 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $4.80, Hero calls $4.80

River: ($19.10) T :heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $6.80, Hero...

How should I play this hand?

Thanks!
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Zobu,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I think that we should start by betting the flop and take it from there.

I think that otherwise your hand/range is very face up. Best case scenario we have AA and then underpairs/bluffs.

You can even bet small to induce, like $3-4.

As played his bet sizing is really weird and looks a lot like an Ax looking for a cry call so I think we have a cry/fold.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Let's say we cbet $3,5. What is our plan if:

a- villain raises?
      b- villain calls. Turns is 2:spade: again. Pot is $16,5 and stacks are ~$12.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      Let's say we cbet $3,5. What is our plan if:

a- villain raises?
      b- villain calls. Turns is 2:spade: again. Pot is $16,5 and stacks are ~$12.
      Before I answer your question I'll come back with a question :)

What do you think his range is in A) and B)?

It all comes down to what we think his range is.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      I don't think I should see many raises when I cbet. If villain does raise I have no idea what he has. Like I would have never guessed that villain would 3bet QQ BBvsBU and shove on 994.

It's really hard for me to think of villain's flop raising and calling ranges here when I'm not even sure with what he is calling my 4bet in the first place. I think next time I'll just do what I used to do before with KK- just 4bet-shove preflop and move on to next hand where I hopefully will play against a fishy player and make some money.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by zobupasts
      I don't think I should see many raises when I cbet. If villain does raise I have no idea what he has. Like I would have never guessed that villain would 3bet QQ BBvsBU and shove on 994.

It's really hard for me to think of villain's flop raising and calling ranges here when I'm not even sure with what he is calling my 4bet in the first place. I think next time I'll just do what I used to do before with KK- just 4bet-shove preflop and move on to next hand where I hopefully will play against a fishy player and make some money.
      Well, we are missing some information about that previous note you had. Did he shove because he was playing vs a fish? Maybe the effective stacks were smaller? Etc.

We have to put him on some range and take our best guess based on the information we have.

We are UTG vs CO so his 3-bet range should be stronger to begin with. Our 4-bet is also very strong because of the positions so villain may be calling hands like AK/QQ and if he 3-bets AQ/JJ. Other hands may be 99-TT and possibly KQ/AJs.

Now on that board I think we have max one street of value so we can bet the flop small or as you did check and bet turn (rather than check again).

If he were to raise us or even call I wouldn't be too thrilled to put more money in. If we were BTN vs SB or BTN vs BB it would be different.

Also, why would you want to 4-bet shove here? Do you really expect to get called often, or at all? I wouldn't go expecting to get called a lot and that's more the exception than the rule.