[NL20-NL50] NL25 - AJs on BBvsMP

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      PKR, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $9.79 (39.2 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      CO: $20.05 (80.2 bb)
      BTN: $38.75 (155 bb)
      SB: $8.87 (35.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $69.99 (280 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) K 5 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

Turn: ($4.90) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($4.90) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $3.26, Hero ?

Villian is 25/19/65Flop cbet/2.2 Postflop Agg over 225 hands

Pre: Much prefer calling vs 3betting as folding to a 4bet sucks and playing a 3bet pot oop VS villians 3bet calling range also sucks

Flop: Thinking a X/C is standard as he will be Cbeting this flop a huge amount of the time and we also have good implieds if he was to have a hand and we do hit

Turn: Nothing much to say

River: He bets quite large in relation to the pot so it does look a lot like missed value, however is there any justification in calling or raising 2nd pair in this spot?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi ABShortland,

Preflop: looks fine if we can't 3-bet for value

Postflop: I think that even a ck/raise is fine here to put pressure on his 2nd pair type hands.

As played I would just call the river there. The only hand, in his value range, playing like this is JJ and some rare Kx.

I can't see why we would want to raise the river. We can't get value and nothing better folds.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Thanks for the quick reply, so you would advise calling this bet, even though its 70% pot?

Do you think maybe QQ plays this way? .. Also what about a weak Kx hand, maybe K9,KT could fold to a raise?

EDIT: this would be very villain dependent i guess so calling is overall the best play?

Thanks in advance
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ABShortland
      Thanks for the quick reply, so you would advise calling this bet, even though its 70% pot?

Do you think maybe QQ plays this way? .. Also what about a weak Kx hand, maybe K9,KT could fold to a raise?

Thanks in advance
      He polarizes his range with that bet. And I doubt that a 25nl player will often bet that big with a second pair type hand. So to me it looks like either JJ or nothing.

Remember that our hand also looks really weak after checking 3 times.

We also only rep JJ if we ck/raise the river (maybe KJ as well) so I'm not a fan of that line because I feel that only worse folds anyway.