This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25 - AJs on BBvsMP

• ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      PKR, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $9.79 (39.2 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      CO: $20.05 (80.2 bb)
      BTN: $38.75 (155 bb)
      SB: $8.87 (35.5 bb)
      Hero (BB): $69.99 (280 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.75

Flop: ($2.10) K 5 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $1.40, Hero calls $1.40

Turn: ($4.90) 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks

River: ($4.90) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $3.26, Hero ?

Villian is 25/19/65Flop cbet/2.2 Postflop Agg over 225 hands

Pre: Much prefer calling vs 3betting as folding to a 4bet sucks and playing a 3bet pot oop VS villians 3bet calling range also sucks

Flop: Thinking a X/C is standard as he will be Cbeting this flop a huge amount of the time and we also have good implieds if he was to have a hand and we do hit

Turn: Nothing much to say

River: He bets quite large in relation to the pot so it does look a lot like missed value, however is there any justification in calling or raising 2nd pair in this spot?

Thanks
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi ABShortland,

Preflop: looks fine if we can't 3-bet for value

Postflop: I think that even a ck/raise is fine here to put pressure on his 2nd pair type hands.

As played I would just call the river there. The only hand, in his value range, playing like this is JJ and some rare Kx.

I can't see why we would want to raise the river. We can't get value and nothing better folds.
    • ABShortland
      ABShortland
      Bronze
      Thanks for the quick reply, so you would advise calling this bet, even though its 70% pot?

Do you think maybe QQ plays this way? .. Also what about a weak Kx hand, maybe K9,KT could fold to a raise?

EDIT: this would be very villain dependent i guess so calling is overall the best play?

Thanks in advance
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ABShortland
      Thanks for the quick reply, so you would advise calling this bet, even though its 70% pot?

Do you think maybe QQ plays this way? .. Also what about a weak Kx hand, maybe K9,KT could fold to a raise?

Thanks in advance
      He polarizes his range with that bet. And I doubt that a 25nl player will often bet that big with a second pair type hand. So to me it looks like either JJ or nothing.

Remember that our hand also looks really weak after checking 3 times.

We also only rep JJ if we ck/raise the river (maybe KJ as well) so I'm not a fan of that line because I feel that only worse folds anyway.