Running into tripps / set?

• kjayscopio
      kjayscopio
      Bronze
      This is major leak in my game that has been costing me a lot of chips. I raise 3-5 BB holding pocket aces or AKs. Flop comes something like A, 2, 6 and I hit top pair aces + top kicker or the flop comes with nothing threatening and I have an over pair. I bet 3/4 or pot depending on the blinds and someone calls. On the turn nothing threatening bet 3/4 pot and they call again. When should I start suspecting they have tripps? Any cues I can pick up without having a lot of info on the player? They could have called my pre flop raise with AQ, AJ or Ax (in the micros) after all. To my dismay they show a set of deuces or something like that :(

How does one avoid such situations?

Thank you.
  • 3 replies
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      When we have TPTK I wouldn't fold unless we have a read on our opponent, they will very often have worse aces. Also depending on how deep you are, but in general we are ahead most of the time. If villain goes crazy OTR we might consider folding, but it's often a hand your gonna go broke with.
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      On a dry board if your opponent is going crazy it should be pretty obvious that your 1 pair is no good, unless there like a 52/34 tard...
    • kjayscopio
      kjayscopio
      Bronze
      thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.