This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

overpairs and post flop play

• shero1910
      shero1910
      Bronze
      Hi guys

What's your advice for postflop play with overpairs.

Eg..today I called a preflop raise with 99 and the flop came 334. The preflop raiser cbet which I called. He bet again on the turn and I folded.

I just was not confident enough with my nines.

Generally how often will I be facing a higher pair or better in scenarios like this?

Regards, Marc.
  • 2 replies
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      Surprise, surprise: IT DEPENDS!
      (on the opponent, the situation, bet sizing, and of course the higher your pair the better)
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Spots like this happens often with mid pairs. I suggest you take a look at villains cbet flop + cbet turn stats.

If villain has for example cbet flop 75% and then cbet turn 50%, then there is a good chance that he will second barrel with some overcards on the turn, which means our hand has decent equity to continue. However, if his cbet flop is like 75% then dramatically drops to like 25% on the turn, this means he has a tendency to play straightforward on the turn, so if he bets again, you need to re-evaluate your hand str. (second example is exploitable so avoid it yourself :D ).

BTW, dont forget to check villains VPIP/PFR stats to see if he is opening wide or tight preflop. Hope this helps.