overpairs and post flop play

• shero1910
      shero1910
      Bronze
      Hi guys

What's your advice for postflop play with overpairs.

Eg..today I called a preflop raise with 99 and the flop came 334. The preflop raiser cbet which I called. He bet again on the turn and I folded.

I just was not confident enough with my nines.

Generally how often will I be facing a higher pair or better in scenarios like this?

Regards, Marc.
  • 2 replies
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      Surprise, surprise: IT DEPENDS!
      (on the opponent, the situation, bet sizing, and of course the higher your pair the better)
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Spots like this happens often with mid pairs. I suggest you take a look at villains cbet flop + cbet turn stats.

If villain has for example cbet flop 75% and then cbet turn 50%, then there is a good chance that he will second barrel with some overcards on the turn, which means our hand has decent equity to continue. However, if his cbet flop is like 75% then dramatically drops to like 25% on the turn, this means he has a tendency to play straightforward on the turn, so if he bets again, you need to re-evaluate your hand str. (second example is exploitable so avoid it yourself :D ).

BTW, dont forget to check villains VPIP/PFR stats to see if he is opening wide or tight preflop. Hope this helps.