Should I have folded J high flush on the flop?

• onlyIke
      onlyIke
      Bronze
      I was sitting at a full-ring micro stake table with 100BB and am dealt J10d UTG. I called the blind and so did UTG2. Everyone else folded down to the BB, who raised to 3xBB. I call, and so does UTG2. 3 Q 5 all diamonds come, and the BB makes a hefty 12BB bet. I decided to only call since I was on position, then UTG2 raised to 24BB's. The BB folds, and I re-raise to 36BB's, and UTG2 raises it again to 48BB's.

This is when I started to get worried. He was raising over top of my aggression and was clearly ready to take this to the showdown. It also worried me that there wasn't much that he could have had other than a flush like mine. He also called a raise from early position, which hinted towards stronger cards like a K or an A.

I couldn't get away from it though, and I pushed all-in hoping he had something like QQ or 89d. He ended up having K8d and I lost.

Almost the exact same thing happened to me about a week ago. Anyone here think I should have folded after the second re-raise? Would you have played this situation differently? Was it just bad luck, or was bad play involved too?
  • 3 replies
    • amater0001
      amater0001
      Bronze
      Have u considered fold preflop?
    • onlyIke
      onlyIke
      Bronze
      Yes, I thought calling pre-flop might have been a mistake, but it was a pretty tight table and I thought the odds of seeing the flop for cheap were good. Normally I would have folded the first raise, but at that point I was on position anyway. Think it was still a mistake?
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      I think this is a pretty good example of why we fold thease hands UTG preflop. We can't really rep much for cards here. While the table is tight, we have capped out range to still like lower suited connectors and pocket pairs. I don't know much about the BB, but if I was the BB I would have guessed you hit a set, or a lower flush. We have the 3rd nut flush, and with the BB opening he has such a range I don't think we can get away from it. As played I probly would have done the same thing post-flop, but I am still an NL5 fish :P , so I am sure someone will come along and give better advice. I am just thinking how I would have played it if I was BB with a lower suited connector.

If this player was a thinking/reg type I would review the hand if you were the BB and give yourself a range you would raise preflop, and want to get it in flop. I am kind of rambling here, but the raise is going to force out a lot of Qx hands, since the board is kind of scarey, but it also protects our flush from the BB drawing out on us with adx kdx. That being said I if I had 67dd on this flop it would be a pretty tight fold. It's really hard to let go of monster hands like this, but we have a relative hand strength, if he is on a set. Unfortunatly I don't have equlab and it really depends on the type of player.

Anyway I would open equilab and give him what you would do against an UTG limp, who you thought played like a reg, this might give you a little more insight.

I hope this helped and wasn't a huge rant that made no sense :P