[NL2-NL10] ATo

• Zenith88
      0.05/0.10 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A:spade: , T:club:
      UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.10, 2 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, 5 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.40.

raising ATo from MP2 seems loose, however according to my reads villain limp/calls quite loosely so i tried to isolate him

Flop: ($1.15) 3:club: , Q:heart: , 9:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.70, UTG+1 calls $0.70.

Turn: ($2.55) T:spade: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

On the turn i check behind for pot control

River: ($2.55) 3:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $2, Hero ??.

c/c or c/f on the river?

Final Pot: $4.55

• 2 replies
    • Atoks
      Turn is a problem for u because it completes one of the possible straights, while u already got a possible bigger pair waiting for u from the flop. Against an uknown, who likes to see flops I'd be folding river, since with passive players u really never can tell what the deal is and the pair of tens is a marginal hand anyway in this situation.
    • Faye6891
      Hi Zenith88,

IMO ATo is a pretty marginal hand to play from MP, although I sometimes play it from MP3, I only do so when I think I have a good chance of taking the pot down PF.
      But it's certainly not bad to raise either, it's usually just more difficult to play post-flop IMO.

Flop is fine, but I'd raise the turn and hope for a free showdown.
      You'll still get a call from a FD or a J, and if he misses his draw he'll hardly ever bluff in this situation, so you can safely fold if he bets the river.

As played I'm calling the river against an unknown or an aggresive player, very often they'll take a stab at the pot here with a busted draw.
      Against a passive player I'd fold, they don't bluff too often to make a call profitable.