ICM, how do you learn it?

• camicio
      For example, when heads up and first in, there are three factors that influence whether we should push or not: effective stack, opponent calling range, our cards.

Knowing these three things ICM will tell to push or to fold, but it's obviously hard for us to memorize every single combination, so what we should is either:

a) estimate the maximum opponent calling range for our push to be profitable taking into account our cards and the effective stack, that is, how often he needs to fold once we push
      b) estimate the worst cards with which we can still push taking into account his calling range and the effective stack
      c) estimate the maximum effective stack size with which we can still push taking into account our own cards and the opponent's calling range

I guess that the third one doesn't really make sense but I'm still in doubt whether to go with a) or b). Which do you suggest and why?
      Or do you think I should just do random quizzes with some ICM program?
  • 1 reply
    • cannell555
      Hi camicio,

To be working all this out is alot for a low stakes player. It will certainly help, but isn't neccesary. IMO if you train on ICM trainer, then this stage will almost become second nature, and you will make little mistakes. If you were to make these calculations for every hand, the game would be very long indeed.

Basically you want to be putting your oponant on a calling range, and then act accordingly. There is no real need to complicate things imo.