How do I exploit this guy heads up?

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      He plays a weird style. I was playing a stt sng and ended up heads up with this guy. He gave me lots of problems, I'm not sure how to exploit him.

Small sample size but some tendencies are obvious (limping alot on sb, donking flop everytime i opened pre)

He donks small very often too (1/4 pot) but he can have anything, caught him bluffing a few times but sometimes he has a decent made hand too. When I raise him with a monster on the turn and river he never does anything stupid like 3bet bluff but he might call with some strong sdv hands. If i slowplay he is just going to continue donking small unless he himself has a monster. It is rather hard to get value from this guy. And also, after he donks he almost never slows down (will continue to bet turn and river 90% of the time, usually small though)

I will be playing this guy very often so I will appreciate some advice :D Thanks! Just need advice on how to exploit him heads up.
  • 11 replies
    • alphabeat
      alphabeat
      Bronze
      I find Lose aggressive opponents hardest to deal with heads up as well. What stakes do you play?

under 20 BB, I believe Nash should be the way to go. Will stay subscribed here and see what the experts have to say
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      very interesting thread
      unfortunately, I cannot be of any help as myself looking for an answer to such problem
      TY I will stay tuned here too :)
    • spreeboy
      spreeboy
      Bronze
      Sorry tommy my post below is not a solution but somewhat the same as your problem...

I too have problems with limp-callers. Today I have 3 different players at separate tables (one-tabler fishes), and their stats are like 51/4, something like that. They always limp call like ~80% of the time if I iso. Postflop I am forced to play straightforward and rely on made hands since fold equity is almost non-existent. At times when I have something like TPGK and decides to 2-barrel for value, I find myself folding a lot to their turn 3bets and/or river shove. Each time they do this, I am left guessing whether they really have a better hand this time or just decides to bluff with any busted draws or random. Its really hard to put them on something since they shows up with QJo, 33, AA or J2.

I just usually avoid tables with players like this unless there are other loose fishes with us. Hope you guys could share some strategy on how to handle these players.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

@alphabeat: The problem is, I sometimes play normal speed sngs with this guy, yesterday during my heads up with him effective stacks are at least 60bbs in most parts of the match. Short stacked play is more straightforward I agree. I'm looking for ways to exploit him deeper stacked.

@spreeboy: Postflop he is slightly different from what you describe though. My villain is extremely aggressive postflop not because he raises alot but he almost never stops betting (He hardly ever checks, maybe only on the river with sdv hand and closing the action) I never got a chance to cbet as SB. Maybe I can treat his donks as a check and always raise when I planned to cbet but then I'm bloating the pot with medium strength hands most of the time. This is very annoying to deal with.

I'm ashamed to say this, but I'm primarily a cash game player(6max). And yet I can't think of a way to exploit this guy when deep stacked :D (I almost never meet someone like him in cash games nowadays).
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
      - Sun Tzu
    • liguolong
      liguolong
      Bronze
      He is opening wide preflop, so you can 3bet wide against him. E.g. you can 3bet suited hands, some connectors etc..
      As he is donking a lot, you can just raise his donk with a polarized range. You can call with some mid/low pair and call later streets.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Don't use Nash below 20bb, unless your opponent is also playing Nash it's a recipe for disaster. I only use Nash when <6bb deep strictly.

Also, he's very passive from the SB, so raise his limps often and 3bet only for value as he's opening a pretty narrow range.

From the SB we want to be raising a ton, as he's not playing a massive amount of hands OOP, his 3bet is also pretty small so we can expect his 3betting range to be primarily strong value hands

Postflop he's donking 100%. Since players flop a pair or better about 1 in every 3 times we should be raising a ton of his donk bets on good boards (Think about his preflop calling range using his stats and any notes we have and think about whether the board hits that range) For example, if he mindonks a 233r flop, raise it. He's not playing 100% of hands so he's not going to have hit that board often at all. Alternatively we can just call his small bets down with our A high and 3rd pair type hands, as you said he bets small unless he's got a big hand, when he bets big.

You said he's not doing stuff like 3bet bluff-shoving postflop, so we can easily just fold our bluffs after he 3bets our raises.

With the info you gave it sounds like he's playing his hands very face-up with his betsizing after the flop, so he should be pretty easy to play against. Don't let him bully you with small donk bets, we should only be getting worried when he's betting bigger.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      there is some things i`d disagree with wriggers, but his gameplan is definitely good :s_thumbsup:
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      Out of interest, what parts would you disagree with? :)
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      We shouldnt play nash 20bb ever because we are not limited to push/fold.

We should raise Ahi, 3rd pair type of hands as well as most of our range. As a bluff in case he foldsa lot (yes, we want to fold out 20% equity hands) or for value if villain calls these. We shouldnt raise only when villain 3bet bluffs decent amount and we know its not true.

We dont know how villain reacts to ISO raise and we dont know whether he limps premiums or not. I wouldn`t isolate trash until i have some reads. Don`t forget that checking behind has good expectation as well and we dont compare raising with folding.
    • Wriggers
      Wriggers
      Bronze
      I said don't play Nash until <6bb deep ;)

Yeah you're probably right about raising marginal hands to fold out villain's equity share, and when I said about isolating wide I didn't mean trash hands really, as if he's limp/calling a lot then isolating with trash and being OOP postflop is never going to be good.