Werkon's poker blog (SSS for now)

• Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Hi guys and greetz from Czech republic ! You maybe saw some of my posts, mostly in sample hands forums. I'm 21 old student and started playing poker about a month and a half ago, with no poker experience before. Some friends of mine are quite sucessful players and seeing them play online poker and some live friendly games convinced me that I also have to try. I was quite sceptical at first with the idea of making money with poker, because here in Czech Republic almost everyone who doesn't have insight in the game thinks that poker is pure hazard like slots and so on.

But I had to find out myself, I often don't listen what other people say and I'm glad I didn't listen to them about poker :) I registered here at pokerstrategy, read the SSS articles many times and finished quiz. When waiting for the $50 I played some play money tables to get used to the controls and again re-read articles and made some printout charts myself to have handy when playing.

I think it is very useful tip for beginners : print out the important charts and have them handy when playing ! At least the SHC and rules when to go all-in after re-raise.

So, I started grinding some NL10 @ Mansion and after initial beginners luck I went into small downswing. Well, you cant call it that because it was due to my crappy play :) I read about it many times in psychology articles that when you get streak of good cards, it is important to still stick to the strategy and don't go rampage ! Well, I still didn't and now I think that this small downswing was the best that could happen to me because it was a lesson well learned.

Well, later I installed elephant as a tracking software and started to review my hands that I was unsure about in the sample hands forum. Big thanks to all judges, coaches and other experienced players that are there to help. It really helps to know that a hand you lost was in fact just a lucky moment for opponent and you played it well. Or you made a mistake, somebody will point it out and you won't make it again.

I also started watching some SSS videos (thanks undercover82) and attending Leo's SSS coaching. Leo made an excellent "SSS Bronze+ chart" which made me throw my own charts away :) You'll find everything there I mentioned + odds and outs and some more tables what to do. Visit Leo's sunday coaching to find out :)

Well, that was for introduction and now to my progress in poker so far. I played about 15k hands so far which isn't much but I'm going to step on gas in grinding. The real reason I started this blog is that I finally broke the $100 barrier, it means that half of the money is pokerstrategy's and half I made myself :) It maybe isn't that much of a cash but still, I view it as a success. I was at first sceptical about the moves presented in the SSS strategy, but now I've grown to trust this strategy and keep playing more. I'm looking forward to move to NL20 when the bankroll is right and later to BSS, when I have more experience.

So, my current short-term goals are following :

-> keep improving at small stakes no-limit hold'em (posting hands, coachings, videos, books)
        -> (complete) move up to NL20 when possible
        -> grind 600 Mansion poker points in 4 months to keep my whole roll
        -> continue playing profitable (any profit is good for me, I want to learn how to play good poker, not to become rich overnight :) )

So, thanks for reading, hope it was not boring, expect to see more in this blog :)
  • 10 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      great blog intro sounds like you have a great attitude towards not only poker but life in general.

Good luck in the future.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Welcome;)

Good luck grinding SSS!
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Your doing fine at the OnGame Network as the NL20 level is the same :)

Keep on playing and evaluating yourself!
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Thanks for replies ! :) I wanted to point out new SSS videos that appeared yesterday. I watched only the first so far and it was very nice. Xarry was reviewing a SSS session and shows us some advanced SSS insights, very recommended ! Check out videos at http://www.pokerstrategy.com/news/content/Attack-of-the-Shortstackers_08685
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      I made a thread about defragmenting poker-databases, if you want take a look and let me know if it helps you :)
      Poker databases defrag (Mansion)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Great blog, great effort. Keep it up!
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Okay, well today was THE day when I finally got a shot at NL20. The session was kinda short (about 300 hands only) partly because it is sometimes very hard to find tables at Mansion during twelve o'clock at working days. There are only about 6 FR tables, which are of course full and waiting lines are long also. Because of that, I stepped down to a 4-table setup - I need more time to manage tables. But Mansion makes it up with fishy players, Gerv was right - it is the same as NL10 :) I finished, because I couldn't buy-in anymore with 20BB at any of these tables.

So, I think it was nice introductory session for me to NL20 (still getting used to new values of the bets) and I made a profit of about $10 which is always nice :)
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Hi Werkon,

Nice to see you're posted a blog mate! Its really nice to see you're working on your skills so much! Keep that up and keep us posted ;)

Good luck on your way up!

With kind regards,
      Leo
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Thanks for encouragment Leo, really appreciated.

Okay, guess it is a time for a little update. I haven't been playing much poker lately because stuff with moving to a new school and so on have been diverting my attention. Still grinding NL20 with some occasional games on NL10 because last few sessions were quite swingy. It almost looks like I'm on a complete upswing or downswing, nothing in between :)

I started quitting my sessions earlier when I feel tilted and cannot make rational decisions anymore. Before that, I always set an hour and continued to play until that time, no matter what. I guess it is bad to quit with feeling that I started losing money and should better really quickly quit before it gets worse - that's really bad attitude. Instead, I just realize that playing on tilt is bad and quit because of that, not with the fear of lost money. I think it improved my game a bit and I'm happy with that decision.

My BR is about $150, moving closer to the $200 BSS limit, I will keep you posted.

Thanks for reading and good luck at the tables :)
    • Werkon
      Werkon
      Bronze
      Well, I guess it is a time for update since I wasn't posting for a long time because I took a break from poker. As you all probably know, Mansion has recently moved to iPoker network. It was a nice opportunity for me to start with BSS because it offers 0.04/0.02 and 0.02/0.01 tables both with $5 full buyin. I must say that after a long time, I'm finally enjoying poker again. BSS is fun where you play more hands than SSS and also make a lot of decisions yourself. My play definitely isn't perfect, my bankroll is taking a little beating from switching to new strategy, but I'm now commiting myself to BSS fully.

I have a question though, I use Poker Tracker 3 now and would like to post some hands on the forums. Do you know how I can achieve that nice format for PS forums with pictures of cards etc (like Elephant) ? Thanks