how to win heads up if you always miss??

• 7 replies
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      if he always calls down light, then just give up your bluffs with no equity and extend your valuerange..... simple as that
    • Chowchow12
      Chowchow12
      Bronze
      My experience in HU stage of SNG, against those opponents is to value town their faces. A lot of the time they like to limp the button, so you should be able to play a good portion of your hands oop for free. I usually bluff raise them 2 or 3 times to see how they react, and if they don't fold, just value raise their face when you do hit.

I find once you show up with good hands they give you a lot more credit, and you can shrink their calling range. Just do your best to pick up reads. This advice is kind of for the fishier loose passive type. Against a LAG reg, I get owned by them a lot, so can't help you there.
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      if you never hit, you will lose. deal with it.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zilltine
      if you never hit, you will lose. deal with it.
      yea sucks but its the cruel truth
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by tommygecko
      I'm having alot of trouble heads up during sngs. It just feels like it's impossible to win without hitting since your opponent calls down rather light.
      Originally posted by Chowchow12
      I find once you show up with good hands they give you a lot more credit, and you can shrink their calling range. Just do your best to pick up reads. This advice is kind of for the fishier loose passive type. Against a LAG reg, I get owned by them a lot, so can't help you there.
      If you always miss, you can choose one of the following options:
        Fold
        Bluff

If he thinks you fold when you miss, you can bluff, and he'll fold.
      If he thinks you bluff when you miss, he will -- how did you put it -- "calls down rather light"

The trick is to keep 'em guessing.
      When it is folded to you in the button 6-way (or more) are there hands you fold pre-flop in that situation?

If you do raise from the BTN and get called, are there flops you don't continue with?

Same thing:
      Fold some pre-flop, fold some flops.
      "For them to respect your raises, they first must respect your folds"

I suck at poker, but I can make up nifty phrases...

Best of luck.

[I]Disclaimer: I play cash games[/i]
    • adasko99
      adasko99
      Silver
      1. Practice your general HU game in a HU SNGs.

2. Your opponents rarely hit HU aswell - think about it :)

3. Try giving fake timing tells when bluffing or valuebetting.

4. Experiment with different sizings and lines during deepish HU game, just to see how your opponent reacts to them - remember his reactions and use them against him later on.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Against a loose passive fish who will call your min-raises or 2.5x raises, I would limp a lot in the button and bet the flop regardless of the board texture. Most of the time, if our opponent doesn't hit he will fold.