[NL20-NL50] NL25 SH AJo 2nd pair vs drawy board.

• Zenith88
      0.10/0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: Texas Grabem 1.9 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:diamond: , A:club:
      MP2 folds, MP3 calls $0.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $1.25, BB folds, MP3 calls $1.00.

Flop: ($2.75) 9:diamond: , J:club: , Q:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, MP3 calls $2.00.

I didn't feel the need to bet closer to full pot for protection. With 2nd pair it was an easy fold for me if he showed any aggression on any further street.

Turn: ($6.75) 4:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4, MP3 calls $4.00.

On the turn i bet, also planning to fold to a reraise. I find c/f to be too weak here, and if i call a bet, why not bet on my own. Besides a Q, i would still get called by a T, FD and sometimes even a worse J.

River: ($14.75) Q:club: (2 players)
      Hero bets $4

On the river i fired a blockbet. I prefered that to calling a 2/3 to full potsize bet which can come not only from a Q or a slowplayed straight, but also from a busted draw taking a stab at the pot. Obviously I would fold to a raise as i never expect to be ahead then.

Did i play this hand the right way?

Final Pot: $18.75
  • 1 reply
    • Kaitz20
      Standard line here is c/c turn, c/f river.
      c/c turn is good, because you don't sometimes hold better hand
      Also he could bet turn with weaker hands and you don't want to build big pot oop with second pair or drawy board.
      The line you took: I don't expect that player would fold anything on the turn, that he called on the flop. If you want to have fold equity, then make it 6$.
      River: making small bet is fine against bad players, but against aggressive players they'll see it as a sign of weakness and raise to 14$.
      Against aggressive players my line would be c/f or c/c. They'll check behind with hands that have showdown value and bet with busted draw.