playing sng with 4 fishes in 5man sng. winner take all

• tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Yea I think it's ideal to play with tons of fishes.

But I have a question: so general strategy is to play tight, play only strong hands and value bet like crazy.

However, more often than not, the fishes bust each other out, and we encounter a situation where u are heads up 1:5 vs a fish. And to win you have to double up and run good, while getting blinded out every hand.

Is this really +EV? Sometimes having a reg or 2 to balance it out could be good?
  • 3 replies
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      will be nice to have some opinions on this.

I'm getting tons of 2nd place because I enter heads up as underdog most of the time
    • Qubie
      Qubie
      Bronze
      A winner take all is a whole other beast then your normal sng.

In a normal sng you gain indeed value because players collide which each other. Because of icm the chips you lose are more worth then the chips you gain.

In a winner take all there is no icm and you just need to get all the chips. You need to take every +ev spot. Not saying that you have to be a loose cannonball. And what is profitable is largely dependent on your opponents. But you cannot play a wta with normal sng strategy
    • akrammon
      akrammon
      Bronze
      A winner take all has to be played exactly like a cash game. It's only chip-EV. So, for example, in the early phase, you shouldn't be as tight as SnG Strategies suggest. SnG strategy tells you to be tight in the early phase, and relatively tight in the middle phase as well - that's because when others collide, you get rewarded (because you climb the payout structure).

So, if you want to learn good winner-take-all, you have to look around in the cg strategy articles (for openraising charts for example). As for vids, I don't know any specifics, but MTTs are very similar in the top-heavy payout structure. And some shallow-stacked cg vids as well, I'm sure you can find some :)

And no, it is no way more +EV for you if you replace one of the fishes with a good reg.