ghennt

• ghennt
      ghennt
      Bronze
      Hi there!

I'm a energy systems researcher from canada living and working in the netherlands who likes to play poker a few nights a week. I've played online and home game poker since about 2007 at a very recreational level. In the beginning I just realized playing tight worked to get the chips and started reading some books (harrington on holdem, phil gordons little green book) in summer 2010 when I was bored. Had some success in 45/90 man MTTs at micro buyins and even took down a 4k GTD $1.10 freeze out on pokerstars. Since graduating however I've found my time for playing has really shrunk and now I'm playing zoom 2nl SH. After finding pokerstrategy and feeling like I'd like to move up the CG ladder I've decided to take things a bit more serious and hence, join the NL beginners course! I hope to improve many parts of my game, and look forward to participating here and sharing my experiences with everyone!

Homework assignment #1:

What is your motivation for playing poker?

I really enjoy the game itself and especially the satisfaction of looking back on hands played and thinking 'yes i played that as best as I possibly could'. Learning and talking about the game are just really interesting and get me excited. On the same token, I see poker as a real exercise in self control/discipline and internal balance. When I play well I can feel the centre of calm within me that help ring good decisions, and feeling this motivates me to play more because, hey, it feels good!

Of course winning money is always another motivator. I don't expect to make riches, or even a living from this game, but would be content knowing I can play very well (to the best of my abilities) and slowly accumulate a nice BR - perhaps for future savings for example. I guess my two motivations are linked in that way - if I can build a nice BR I can also look back and see how I've played well to accumulate it.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

I think I dont study enough, or more specifically am not focused enough at integrating what I study into my game. Would like to see myself structure my study better, specifically with regards to areas I feel i need to improve and stick to studying just that for a bit.

Another big weakness is calling off bets in spots where I know I'm beat i.e. I convince myself hes just FOS so i call off a stack only to see exactly what i put him on. This is especially true when I've tried moving up stakes. Similarly if I play when not 100% focused, or tired I can tend to make some realyl dumb aggro plays - but then playing when tired or not totally focused is a weakness in itself.

Also find there are times (especially in MTTS & SNGs) where I lack decisiveness in my actions. I see there is an action that could be taken but doubt on whether it is best or not and for example if I run into a big hand I'll beat myself up over it instead of accepting it and moving on. I find this effect less in CG however.

Another weakness is the expectation of winning every time and thus focusing too much on results. This has gotten better lately, but if I expect to win every time I just set myself up for disappointment when I don't win, or even if I do win I'll feel its not enough.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

TAG style is when one plays with three main qualities: Agression, Selection, and Position (Thank you gripsed). Agression means we are placing our opponents under pressure through bets and raises. Selection means we select our starting hands, starting situations, and post flop situations carefully to give us the greatest edge in our agression. Finally position is when we play in position vs our opponents in order to maximize information availability. While TAG will almost always play with all three of these qualities, the style also embrases observing opponents and picking up on their weaknesses or spots where one can maximize value based on previous action. TAG is also disciplined and will be on the lookout for spots where he is beat, or potentially being trapped and will make connections between these spots and the player type so to try to make the best decision possible to maximize making money.
  • 5 replies
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Hey ghennt!

Good luck with the Beginners' Course!

I am sure Bogdan will be with you very soon to comment on your first homework! Are you preparing Homework #2?

Best,
      Gary.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello ghennt,

Welcome to the course.

For more information on each lesson please visit this link: Welcome to the No Limit Beginners Course Forums

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello Ghent,

Q1: your motivations are really strong and if you work hard and stay disciplined there is no reason why you cannot achieve some success with the game.

Q2: A few of those weaknesses are strongly tied to you being at the beginning of the journey and lacking experience. Of course, as you study and play more you will get better at laying hands down or not expecting to win all the time.

Q3: looks good.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • ghennt
      ghennt
      Bronze
      Brutal, just doing second lesson now. But better late than never! Thanks for your encouragement and nice words HollyMitchelle and Bogdan!

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

We can limp behind more hands than recommended by the chart when there are multiple limpers and we have a strong drawing hand. The crushing 50NL article uses the example of limping 64s in late position with 3 limpers in front. Gives us good to-the-flop odds, and the hand has potential to make a big hand to take don big implied odds.

We can isolate with non premium hands from in position against limpers who are passive and only raise a small range etc. Hands down to KJ, QT can be used to isolate if we know the player will still call our isolation bet with J9, T8 for example where we dominate them.

We can blind steal with a mush wider ranger than suggested if the players in the blinds are tight and or passive/weak. They will often fold and we take down the blinds uncontested showing immediate profit. If they call and have tight ranges we can cbet good boards.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

How do we determine our calling range for open shoves and 3 bet shoves from short stackers? I read its profitable to call with the top 40% of their shoving range, but I can never figure out what their actual range is. This difficulty could be related to playing mostly zoom lately and just feeling that everyone who shoves turns KK+. Maybe better note taking can aid me here in knowing who will shove Weak aces and lower pairs for example. I did post a few hands in the forums for help:

NL5 Zoom AKo

NL5 zoom T9s

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Poker stove gives AKo 46% equity.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ghennt
      Brutal, just doing second lesson now. But better late than never! Thanks for your encouragement and nice words HollyMitchelle and Bogdan!

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

We can limp behind more hands than recommended by the chart when there are multiple limpers and we have a strong drawing hand. The crushing 50NL article uses the example of limping 64s in late position with 3 limpers in front. Gives us good to-the-flop odds, and the hand has potential to make a big hand to take don big implied odds.

We can isolate with non premium hands from in position against limpers who are passive and only raise a small range etc. Hands down to KJ, QT can be used to isolate if we know the player will still call our isolation bet with J9, T8 for example where we dominate them.

We can blind steal with a mush wider ranger than suggested if the players in the blinds are tight and or passive/weak. They will often fold and we take down the blinds uncontested showing immediate profit. If they call and have tight ranges we can cbet good boards.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

How do we determine our calling range for open shoves and 3 bet shoves from short stackers? I read its profitable to call with the top 40% of their shoving range, but I can never figure out what their actual range is. This difficulty could be related to playing mostly zoom lately and just feeling that everyone who shoves turns KK+. Maybe better note taking can aid me here in knowing who will shove Weak aces and lower pairs for example. I did post a few hands in the forums for help:

NL5 Zoom AKo

NL5 zoom T9s

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.

Poker stove gives AKo 46% equity.
      Congrats,

Homework #2 is now complete.

RE: shortstacks

At the lower limits short/mid stacks are generally tighter and thus I recommend calling a tighter range (or going broke tighter).

It also depends on how deep they play.

For example, versus a 20 BB stack we can stack off lighter than let's say a 40 BB, or 60 BB stack.

Then, we also have to take into account positions. In steal/resteal spots we can definitely be wider in our ranges.