Improve your setup improve your motivation

• NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Firstly by all means I'm no expert on such stuff and hopefully other people will add to this thread some additional tips on improving ones poker setup. This thread is more aimed toward poker newbies so if you are an exper grinder/gamer you most likely won't find this info interesting.

So here we go. For many years I've been ignoring my poker grinding setup which manifested in having low motivation to grind and study. It may seem obvious that for a poker player, comfortable setup is of huge importance but I've ignored it as many people I know seem to do too. Usually these are the same people that have problems with putting in the hours at the tables. All the big volume grinders I know have great setups.

Importance of ergonomics of your setup and your posture

Not gonna get into much detail on how to set stuff up for comfortable grind as there's plenty of stuff floating around internet already, here's a link to one of the guides: Guide to setting up and ergonomic computer station

This is of huge importance and should never be ignored. I was grinding for one year on a kitchen table with a kitchen chair. The end result was that I would have neck pain every day after few hours of work with computer. Many people like laying in a chair too, but it usually results in back and neck pain too. Hard to put in the quality hours at the table if you constantly feel pain. So take care of that.

Mouse and Mouse Pad

I find that mouse is of big importance. As a poker player you make way more clicks per day than an average person does. So both durable and comfortable mouse should be top priority to get for your grinding setup. Cheap mice tend to break fast so don't be a cheapskate and get a more expensive one.

You aren't a pro CS gamer so it's not necessary to get a gaming mouse, but in my opinion it's a good choice because:

High DPI and precision - less arm movement needed between clicks, less stress on wrists. You probably won't be using a mouse on 6k DPI setting but a mouse that is capable of 6k+ DPI will be more precise on let's say 3k DPI than a mouse which can do 3k DPI max.

Don't use Windows mouse acceleration as it hurts precision and while poker isn't CS or DOTA it still feels a lot better having precise mouse.

There's a lot of good gaming mice out there and you should get the one that feels best in your arm. If you are shopping online and don't have the comfort of trying it out before buying, watch some youtube reviews on a mouse. Gamers love putting up reviews of their new toys there.

As for companies that I like I'd say: Logitech, Razer and Steelseries all have some great products. I personally use Razer Deathadder 2013 as it's very light in weight, very comfortable in my arm and doesn't look like some alien spacecraft just flew over my desk and put a hi tech turd on it (something like CYBOR R.A.T. 9). :f_biggrin:

If your mouse is not all surfaces suited you gonna need a good mouse pad too. Steelseries has some cheap and very good pads like QcK.

Keyboard

Don't feel like it's of huge importance for a poker player as long as it has numbers on it you are probably good to go. If you play a lot in the dark, get one with backlight. If you are using a laptop + monitor setup still get additional keyboard for better posture. Additional usb porst on keyboard may be of good use in this case but not of huge importance either.

Monitor size

30s is the nuts but very expensive comparing to smaller ones and not necessary if you aren't mass tabling. Still, even if you are playing 4 tables get additional monitor in case you are using laptop. Your eyes will thank you.

Grinding on couch with laptop

Sometimes it's fun to just relax and play fewer tables while comfortably laying on a couch. But beware and don't fry your balls while doing it, laptops tend to accumulate a lot of heat when put on a body. Get a cooling pad, it's cheap, and your future children will thank you.

Gaming Glasses

This one I feel gets overlooked a lot. It reduces the eye strain and instantly makes you capable of playing good for longer. Highly +EV for any poker player.

If you can't afford such glasses at the moment, a free alternative would be f.lux However I don't feel like it's anywhere near as effective as glasses.

End words

If you have all this set up you are more than ready to enjoyably put in tons of hours at the table. So get your piss bottle and go to work! :f_biggrin:
  • 17 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Btw, if anyone has additional tips or corrections for already posted tips please post it and Ill add it into OP.
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Awesome post, thanks!
    • mccol001
      mccol001
      Bronze
      Nice post :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Great post and thank you for it :)
    • FatSunny
      FatSunny
      Bronze
      Good post dude another thing I find is I have to have a clean work space I cant concentrate with clutter and crap everywhere!
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      about those gaming glasses - do you have them? are they really good? I have heard maybe in some other thread that its not worht to buy them.
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      Korean IPS 1440p monitors are the nuts, 2-300 dollar for 1440p so fking good.
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by FatSunny
      Good post dude another thing I find is I have to have a clean work space I cant concentrate with clutter and crap everywhere!
      Oh yes, good point. I'm quite a junk man myself tho. :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      about those gaming glasses - do you have them? are they really good? I have heard maybe in some other thread that its not worht to buy them.
      Yea, I have them and they helped me a lot, after you get used to wearing them watching at the screen with naked eye becomes somewhat uncomfortable. Think I can play focused for much longer now.

I've made some reading on 2+2 regs thread before getting them and the general opinion was that it's +EV.

You can get them on PS store somewhat cheaper than the usual price, I got mine when PS had a sale on them.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      You can get them on PS store

where can I find that ps store?:)
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      You can get them on PS store

where can I find that ps store?:)
      http://www.pokerstars.com/vip/store/store.shtml?cat=accessories&prod=pa-18
    • Craggoo
      Craggoo
      Basic
      I think the worst thing you can do is grind when you're not motivated. It's just best to do something else on those kind of days
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Craggoo
      I think the worst thing you can do is grind when you're not motivated. It's just best to do something else on those kind of days
      Yes and no, I'd say. Depends on how much lack of motivation you have. If for example you play for a week and then don't feel like playing for a day or so then sure, that's fine and healthy.

But if you regularly skip few days, I feel like that really hinders your game, makes you somewhat rusty etc. So in this case it may be better to force yourself to play at least some poker on days you're not feeling like it. Even if it's lower stakes.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      I think rather than grinding through its important to look at why you don't have the motivation, why you're not feeling like "poker, fuck yeah!". The best thing IMO to boost motivation is constructive and focused study. Firstly the study will make you realize that playing is much more fun than studying and secondly it is always exciting to think about putting theory into practice.

The right setup definitely makes it easier to do this. Going back to playing on laptop on a couch sucks balls after having a decent size monitor on a desk, the difference is immense.
    • Craggoo
      Craggoo
      Basic
      The only time I've found myself skipping days is when I get up too late or I've just been getting absolutely destroyed lately. Those are really the only legitimate reasons to skip days.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      Btw, there is one issue with gunnars. What if after a year I will need normal glasses which corrects my eyes? Then I will need to throw them out becaue I cannot use both glasses at the same time.

Or are there gunar glasses which also enlarge view for people who need enlarging?
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Yea, there are prescription glasses available too, but you get to order them from their site and they cost like 3x/4x the price of regular gaming glasses.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      I read other threads about them, also an article in lifehacker site and there are variuos opinions so I am not sure. And also those glasses have some magnification by default as I read.

I will probably wait a big, I guess they are overpriced anyway like many things which are new.