Welcome to the jungle! [NLHE30SH]

• InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      You know where the F*** you are?! You're in the JUNGLE baby!

Hi there!
      My name's Alex and I'm an alcoho.... khm... what was I talking 'bout? Ah, right. I'm Alex and I'm from Russia. I'm about to finish my first year in the uni of Manchester, UK. Blah-blah-blah, who cares...

To poker now, I was playing mostly MTTs with some SNGs until recenlty, when I realised I will need something, which doesn't take a 10hrs straight per session (even worse - it's hard to predict how long will it take when you start). If I intend to be plaing poker for serious income while studying, whch I am. So I've decided to devote the summer to learning to crush cash games.
      After all it's just another part of the same jungle.

So, in June I'm going to focus on that, starting with NL30 on EuroPoker, have some FDB left there + might get something in rake races. In case I don't get enough action there, I've got other accounts too, so action should not be a problem.

I'm joining the Modern Poker Mentoring scheme by the Masters of mindfking (yes, with a capital M) , TwiceT and Manu

Gonna go study for the last exam, which is tmr. Can't wait to dive right into action!
  • 14 replies
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Hi,

i play nl sh too. Will follow your progress!
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      GL @ exam!

How many cash game hands did you play so far? What articles/videos did you watch so far?
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Thanks,
      So far about 5k hands according to hm2, some more untracked.
      No videos or articles so far, will get to it asap. As well as posting hands.

Also, one of the first things on the list is to rework the default ranges, I mean ranges I'm gonna use when there's no player specific or dyniamic considerations. I think it is wayy more important in cash than MTTs, especially if I plan to play FastForward. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna steer away from it at least for the first days, mb a week, until I'm comfortable with my default game.

Off for a walk, nothing beats some fresh air before going to bed. And, the weather is good, which doesn't happen all that often here :f_cool:
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Quick update, just for my reference as to how I wanna tackle the learning process. Sort of a resolution.

Theory. That includes working on specific spots, for the most part artificially created. Crucial to actually build up a way to deal with the situation in-game, which means fast, using clear inputs.

Playing That's self explanatory. Focus on playing only, on the exact hands and info I have. Get a notebook to right down any concepts I want to get into later while playing, as I sometimes get dragged away by "What if it was different" thoughts, distracting me from next hands. "Wired in", if you watched the social network.

Hand reviews Go over marked hands, full analysis on each, paying attention to every concept I know. Something that I'm just not sure - to evaluation forums. Deeper thoughts post here or in MPM skype.

External info Videos, articles, coachings, to fuel me with ideas and get a fresh perspective. Important to get outside my own perception of things and be as objective as possible.
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Following. Gl dude.

I'm sure you'll crush it with TT and Manu!
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Ty, holmeboy, followed back =) .

Was unusually unstable tilt-wise while playing today. Figured the reason lies in a slight inconsistency of priorities, plans and actions (non-poker-related). Was able to cope with it and focus. Disruptions in the internet connection were a pain though.

On the bright side, shipped all the stuff to the storage and got a schengen visa. That means I'm flying out in about 8 hours and live the whole summer out of a small suitcase. Bring the summer on :f_thumbsup:

Random thought... Since I'm rolled more than comfortably, there's no reason to look the results up at all. So from now on, I don't look for results. I might see them while reviewing stats - no big deal as long as I don't look specifically to see the $$ numbers.
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      Originally posted by InsanityOnFire
      On the bright side, shipped all the stuff to the storage and got a schengen visa. That means I'm flying out in about 8 hours and live the whole summer out of a small suitcase. Bring the summer on :f_thumbsup:
      :f_cool: what are your destinations in summer?
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      TT said I need more solid goals to strive to.

I should very well be able to manage 4 hrs/ day of just playing on average. That's around 100hrs in June. For what I play that makes about 25000 hands. Oh, that doesn't sound impressive at all... I might add up tables or/and start playing FastFold, and will update that accordingly.

So, for now, volume target - 25k.

Hard to be specific about learning objectives... In terms of time, I'd think 2 hrs /day on average of solid sit-in work is realistic. + whatever I manage to squeeze in throughout the day. I don't want to convert it to solid number of hands revised / posted or videos watched, cause quality >> quantity. Whatever work done though,

reflect in the blog on the daily basis.

That includes at least a hand per day in the blog. With an attempt on full, coherent line analysis as well as at least one elaborated theory post per week.

Any ideas what else can count as a quantifiable achievement? :f_confused:
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TwiceT

:f_cool: what are your destinations in summer?
      I'm now at my friends in Basel for two weeks, then home to Moscow (haven't been there in more than a year). End of july back to the UK for GUKPT Brighton leg (I used to study and trash some live games there, should be fun). Hopefully will qualify for the ME online. After that, Spain for some chilled beach rest. Lots of plans))
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Time for an update!

I do play fastfold now, on party. I still think it's important to play regulars once in a while, not a fan of mixing though, a bit of a different attitude - in rush you have the situation and then think of how to handle it, whereas on regs you have the info, you wait for the situation already having a specific plan (against an opp). I know it's vague and all, but I still enjoy regs, while I figured rush is indeed danutz when it comes to profit $/h and after all that's what's the goal of playing poker is, so there's no excuse to not play it.

That leads to a review of the volume target: it is now 70k. Roughly 3k /day avg - about 4h of 3-tbl rush. Not enough to be forced to play C-game, still challenging keeping in mind that I can't do 4h straight rush, so it's 2-3 sessions.

Theory time

A bit bored in the morning I decided to look into math of shoving with equity.
      EV obv depends linear on eq vs call and folding freq. If we make an assumption of independence of the two we can study their relation at a breakeven point. A possible situation would be that we can estimate eq pretty well (like, we're behind but have a fd to draw), and we estimate the f% for breakeven push, then think if it's realistic for him to fold that much.
      After some algebra I came to a conclusion that it's usefull to introduce a variable, which I call effective risk, or Re.
      Re = R - eq*(Pot - Bet + 2R) where,
      Pot - current pot when you'r to act
      Bet - what's on you to call.
      R - risk (whatever you risk with a push)
      eq - equity vs a call

If there was no multiway action (omit the blinds) it becomes Re = R - 2eq*EffStack , which is easy to estimate in game.

After that the sought f% is given as odds of Re to the Pot, as in f% = Re/(P+Re), which again is not hard to estimate and is exactly how you would tackle a steal raise, except for your raise is now Re.

Ofc that's a pretty specific thing and not every + push shall be taken. There's a ton more consideration, but that might be usefull in assessing if a push is an option at all.
      Conceptually this might be applied to notAI semibluff raises, but clearly doesn't make sense to use eqcall, need to sort smth else to estimate an effective risk there.
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      Aand a song to keep it goin.

Classics :f_cool:
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      I've been reviewing my vid from early June with Manu today and we bumped into this hand. I'd make the sizing bigger otf, but in general, I'm not barreling this turn. As played I also don't think a queen is a good river card, cause it connects his draws and effectively the only hands he folds are gonna be pokets/weak T like T9. All that is said about <pot sizings. Manu introduced an idea of overbetting through the hand, since we're soo deep, 200+ BB. We could rep JT or TT/JJ while having a decent draw on the flop. We need to bet three streets though almost always (ok, not any river, but there's a lot of good ones) since there's no sd value in the hand. On that river we also somewhat rep AK, so we can fold out pretty much everything save what we rep, which is not much.

Had basically no history with the guy, but as a general limit dynamic, I assume he rarely gives up 2pair+, though this situation is so rare you can't rly say. Good thing a lot of cards make the board quite connected and we can pretty safely say he's not flatting ovbets with draws.

Party, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $67.90 (271.6 bb)
      BB: $27.93 (111.7 bb)
      MP: $9.65 (38.6 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $85.49 (342 bb)
      CO: $60.50 (242 bb)
      UTG: $35.38 (141.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 7
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2, 2 folds, CO calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.35) J T 4 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero bets $2.25, CO calls $2.25

Turn: ($8.85) 5 (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

River: ($8.85) Q (2 players)
      CO checks, Hero checks

Any thoughts greatly appreciated :f_confused:
    • TwiceT
      TwiceT
      Black
      As always we should think the hand through step by step, street by street.

Preflop: >200bb deep I usually 3b 3x ip not smaller, so I would make it slightly bigger than you.

Flop: You bet very small, wouldnt we bet bigger so deep with a monster and our gutshots etc? You mentioned overbetting ... do you mean on the F or on the T or the R? Given you F sizing an overbet on the T smells very fishy, drawy .... GS+FD or OCs + FD etc.
      I want to put a lot of pressure and get some dead money in the pot which I mostly steal later so I make it a little bit bigger Pre and on the Flop.

Turn: Your "small" 3b and "small" cbet (with 100bb effective everything would have been standard) have a huge influence on COs calling range, it should be fairly wide in this spot. Thats why you could blindly bet any cards and if you make it big enough will get folds. I still dont think its credibly to rep a big made hand with a smallish cbet and then suddenly an overbet on a blank T which brings a FD. Overall you will have better GSs in this spot where you 3b BU vs CO which you can always barrell (off), without any information on villain I would not go small 4 times, but rather decently big and put a lot of pressure on early streets and then decide on various R if I want to pull the trigger or not. If it blanks down and you get called all the way you can't be wrong to (overbet) shove most of the time because villain mostly has QJs, AJ, QQ, Tx or Jx that turned a FD (which in this case would be bad ofc)

River: After you checked behind T you can credibly rep AK and AQ if you dont bet too big, CO should fold almost all 1pair hands to a sizeable bet. Since you didn't bet the T though, you capped your range away from flushes and the strongest hand you can possibly have is AQ or an AK straight. AK makes sense ofc and nobody would perceive you to fold AK to a big c/r so you won't really get bluffed in this spot ever. I think betting the R 3/4 is in order: Jx, Tx, 99, will fold often enough. He might even have called lower pairs, its NL25, you never know :D
    • InsanityOnFire
      InsanityOnFire
      Bronze
      By overbetting I meant ovbet flop to, say $6 to then leave ~potsized bets T and R (still big and scary, but we can actually get everything in) so it looks very much like we're up to getting it in, which imo makes it very hard for him to call down.