different day, same old story

• livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Hi everybody,

My name is Sebastian and I'm from the Netherlands. I'm 22 years old. I have a bunch of old unfinished blogs on the Dutch forum. In December last year I cashed out my bankroll and had myself excluded for 6 months because I needed time to focus on my study. Now I have enough time to focus on poker again, so deposited 10$ on pokerstars.

I will play NL 6max starting on NL2. I want to prove that it's still possible to climb from NL2 - >NL100 through hard work and dedication. In this blog I will keep by my progress.

Experience before selfexclusion:

• Played up to NL25, shots at NL50.

Long poker goals:

• crushing nl100 6max or hu, sky is the limit.

Short poker goals:

• Going back to the fundamentals of poker
      • Mindset improvement
      • Get back to NL25

Some things about myself and my life goals:

I'm still an student and study Business and Economics. Inspired by the book the millionaire fastlane by MJ de Marco, my ultimate goal is to reach financial freedom before I'm 28. I try to focus on the 3 f's he mentioned in his book:

Family

I try to have a good relationship with my family, and have also an very sweet and nice girlfriend.

Fitness

Want to keep an great fitness level, because it helps you in so many aspects of life.

Freedom

I want to create freedom by financial independence. So I can do what I want, whenever I want, can spend as much time with the people I love.

I think by focusing on those 3 aspects, I create real wealth.

See you at the tables :s_cool:
  • 32 replies
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Hey there livethelife7!

It is a long and hard way to reach NL100 when you start at NL2! I am doing the same thing at the moment, but I am not sure what limit I want to reach -> sky is the limit, as you have mentioned :s_biggrin:

The 3 Fs sound really great - will definately have a look at this book :f_biggrin:

Crush the tables :coolface:

PS: Sent you a friend request - maybe we could do one or two sweat sessions together if you want :f_cool:
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Rains7
      Hey there livethelife7!

It is a long and hard way to reach NL100 when you start at NL2! I am doing the same thing at the moment, but I am not sure what limit I want to reach -> sky is the limit, as you have mentioned :s_biggrin:

The 3 Fs sound really great - will definately have a look at this book :f_biggrin:

Crush the tables :coolface:

PS: Sent you a friend request - maybe we could do one or two sweat sessions together if you want :f_cool:
      Thnx! yeah it's a long way. I send you a friend request too because I did not see yours. Send me your Skype in a pm.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Played no poker this weekend. Have to really study hard, this week exams. After this week I have lot and lots of time to study and play poker. So untill thursday no further updates.
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hey livethelife, I like the positive manner you're starting with, so have fun with your goals. Oh and good luck with the exams to, just don't try to learn anything new 30 minutes before they start! :f_eek:

Mal.
    • mineriva
      mineriva
      Bronze
      "I try to focus on the 3 f's he mentioned in his book"

I thought it was the 4 f's:
      1) find
      2) feel
      3) f*ck
      4) forget..

oh that was another book
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      @mineriva

Hahahah :s_biggrin:

@gadget51

Thnx!, haha no that's something I finally learned, start on time with learning.

Tomorrow my last exam (English), and then it's poker time! So motivated, can't wait.

Must seen video on youtube:

In my opinion one of the greatest motivators of today:

:f_cool:
    • Rains7
      Rains7
      Bronze
      Poker time coming soon :f_cool:

it's gonna be legen....wait for it....dary :f_biggrin:
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Finally finished all my exams.

Now on way home.

Today I will do the following:

- clean my room (soo I can really focus and not get distracted)
      - practice some math (using the book poker math that matters)
      - read the first concept on the book easy game, try to understand it.
      - play some poker (4 tabling max)
      - think, think, think

Sunday I will make, monthly goals, weekly goals and every morning I write in this blog my day goals.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      POKER MATH

Every complex decision in poker can really boil down to 2 things:

1. Accurate assumptions
      2. Making the best decision

Making accurate assumptions is:

• Concerning our opponents range of hands
      • How will he play that range

Making the best decision is:

Making the decision that makes the most money. This where mathematics come in to play.

Accurate Assumptions = Improved mostly though playing experience.

Improved mostly = Improved mostly through work away from the poker table.

In the beginning its most important to focus on making the best decision. This means most of my time at the beginning should be spent away from the tables.

Some basic math:

Potsize raise:

3x oppenents betsize + potsize (excluding opp. Bet) or
      2x opp. Betsize + potsize (including opp.bet)

Example.

Pot is 50, opp bets 30. If you want to make an potsize raise, what would you raise to?

3*30 + 50 = 140
      2*30 + (50+30) = 140
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Easy Game:

The most important question is why!

There are 3 reasons to bet:

- Value
      - Bluff
      - Capitalization of Dead Money

Protection is not a reason to bet! It’s a consequence of betting!

Value: Betting to get called by a worse hand
      Bluff: Get a better hand to fold
      Capitalization of dead money: Make him fold his equity share in the pot and the dead money more than compensates for the times when we’re called and lose.

Reason 3 is possibly never a primary reason for betting.

I think I understand these concepts, but they are really the basic of poker. I will try in my session, to always think why I am betting. I think I will very often have no clue why I really was betting, so by this way I can improve. If I don’t know what the best decision is, I’m gonna mark the hand and analyse it away from the table, I think also post it on the forum.

I also want to spend my time like 80% studying and 20% playing. So for every 10 hours studying I play 2.5 hours.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Just some basic math, to really get the difference between fractions and ratio's.

Getting Started with numbers: Working with Fractions, Percentages and Ratios.

Probability: used to describe the number of times a thing will happen out of the total chances for it to happen. This is written as a fraction: 1/4

Example: you roll a die. What is the probability of rolling a 6? There are 6 possible outcomes so the bottom number will be 6. Chance you roll a 6 is 1/6.

We can express this fraction easily as a percentage. If we want to get the percentage of a fraction 1/6. You can divide 100 by 6 (the bottom number) and multiply it by 1 (the number at the top). So what we will get is: 100/6*1 = 16.66%. You can also divide 1 by 6 and multiply it with 100.

But what about odds. Odds are described as a ratio. The ratio compares two numbers. A ratio looks like this 5:1. The first number tells us how often something does not happen. The second number tells us how often something does happen. Now what are the odds of rolling that same die, and rolling a 6?.

It will happen 1 time, and it will not happen 5 times. So or odds are 5:1.

This is the difference between fraction and odds, and it can be confusing if you don’t understand this.

Odds and fractions relate to one another by: M:N = N/(M+N)

Example poker related. You are on the flop. Villian goes allin for his last 10$ in a 30$ pot. The potodds you are getting to call are 4:1. How much equity are you going to need at least?

To get to a fraction we need M:N = N/(M+N). This means 4:1 odds is the same as a fraction of 1/(4+1) so 1/5. This means that we need 20% equity. This can help us by lot of poker decisions.

Test:

1. Convert 1/4 to a ratio.
      1/4 is a ratio of 3:1

2. Convert 1/8 to a percentage
      1/8 = 12.5%

3.Convert 5:1 to a fraction
      5:1 is a fraction of 1/6

4.Convert 2:1 to a percentage
      2:1 is a fraction of 1/3 so 33.33%

5.Convert 9:2 to a fraction
      9:2 is a fraction of 2/11

6.What are the odds against rolling a 1 or a 2 when rolling one die.
      4:2 or 2:1

7.What is the probability of rolling two 4s when rolling two dice?
      Only on possibility out of 6*6 = 36 so 1/36.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Today I have to work so no time to play poker. Need this job so I can pay my school. Working parttime on a financial unit of a insurence company. A bit bored here on work so try to think alot about poker.

Also ordered the mental game of poker by Jared tendler. 14 july I will fly 2 weeks on vacation with girlfriend and family to fuerteventura so I think its a great book to read then. Just thought about a goal, and think probably a realistic goal is to have nl2 beat before I go on vacation.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Update:

Hereby my goals. I work by the following system. First I create an overall year goal. After that I will specify my year goal in a 90 day goal. Then I will look what I have to do to reach that 90 day goal, and will take something from that to create my 30 day goal. After that I create a weekly goal and than I can pick every day a task to reach that weekly goal. Every sunday I write an review about how my week went and if I reached my goal.

As planned:

My end goal:

• Crushing poker. Highest stakes I am capable of reaching.

My Year goal (until 17 June 2014):

• Being A reg at NL50 NL6max.

My 90 days goals (until 17 September):

• Playing NL10
      • Read: Easy game volume 1,2, Poker math that matters, The mental game of poker

My 30 days goal (until 17 July):

• Playing NL5
      • Read easy game volume 1 & Poker math that matters.
      • Judging 5 hands a week on hand forum
      • Playing my A game almost every time
      • Understanding the new concepts that I learn, try to think as much as possible on the game.
      • Watch a video active to improve my game and thinking.

My weekly goal (until 23 June) :

• Playing min. 3000 hands NL2 [414/3000]
      • Read 5 chapters easy game, implement the stuff I learn there. Study them also by hand and stats review. [1/5]
      • For every 4 hours of learning 1 hour of playing poker.
      • Read 4 chapters Poker math that matters and learning the math. [1/4]

Every day I will make an short update of what my goals for that day are. So today:

• Read chapter two of easy game. Try to understand the concept.
      • Read one chapter of poker math that matters.
      • Play 300Hands NL2
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Nice blog, and nice to see another Dutch player blogging here! :f_thumbsup:

Looks like you are really organised in the way you approach the game. That's good to see, and something I think a lot of people (myself included :D ) can learn from!

I also really like the positive attitude with which you approach everything. Keep it up!

Will be following this :)
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Good luck with the exams, although I can't see you having a lot of problems there, given how organised you're being. :s_cool:

Ah yes and as an 'oldie' I particularly liked the 'clean my room' at the top of the list! :D
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Expectation Value (EV)

Expectation value is the bedrock of profitable gambling. Expectation value is the average amount of money you can expect to win or lose when you making a wager. If the average amount is less than zero, then you’re going to lose money on average.

Average amount negative = -EV
      Average amount zero = 0EV
      Average amount positive = +EV

Three steps to know if the bet is +EV or –EV:

Find possible outcomes and chance of it happening. Then multiply by the result each outcome has, then add them together.

Example:

You play NL2 6max. You have QQ. UTG shoves pre for 40bb. You have 100bb stacks. Before you decide to make a call utg shows you he has pocket four. What is your EV for a call? ( Notice, EV of folding is always 0!!)

There are 2 outcomes, you are losing 40bb or winning 43bb (because of blinds). Probability of winning is 81%. Probability of losing is 1-0.81 = 19%

Your EV is then

EV = (0.81 * 43bb) + (0.19 * -40bb)
      EV = + 27.23bb.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TinoLaan
      Nice blog, and nice to see another Dutch player blogging here! :f_thumbsup:

Looks like you are really organised in the way you approach the game. That's good to see, and something I think a lot of people (myself included :D ) can learn from!

I also really like the positive attitude with which you approach everything. Keep it up!

Will be following this :)
      Thanks! I never was really organized before, so trying to keep this up. Positivity I think really important not only when playing poker but also in other areas of your life. Some time ago, I was really negative about a lot of thing, always complaining. But I really changed that mindset into a positive thinking mindset. And it really changed a lot in my life, and also at the poker tables.
    • livethelife7
      livethelife7
      Bronze
      Originally posted by gadget51
      Good luck with the exams, although I can't see you having a lot of problems there, given how organised you're being. :s_cool:

Ah yes and as an 'oldie' I particularly liked the 'clean my room' at the top of the list! :D
      Thanks. Haha yes my room was a complete mess, and thought before I can get working organized at poker, I have to be organized in other aspects also.