Don't listen to Phil Hellmuth.
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Don't listen to Rihard4a ;)
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      All decisions in poker revolve around image.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Most important thing is to always be thinking!

It's quite easy to just zone and play robotic but this is what you want to avoid.

If you want something to think about, think about the reasons for betting:
      • Value - get a worse hand to call/raise your bet.
      • Bluffing - getting your opponent to wrongly fold a hand.

Constantly look to evaluate your plays and you'll be crushing in no time!
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      best advice i can give is to never fold and always hit the river
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Hey lukas65! and welcome :) I moved your thread to the beginner's section.

The best thing you can do as a beginner is to open up the strategy section (here) and start reading the articles. You'll notice that you don't have access to a great deal of information, and that is because your status is basic. You can read about statuses here. In short, the higher your status the more access you will have to the content that pokerstrategy offers. In order to gain higher status you'll have to sign up to one of our partner rooms through this site. Once you have your poker account set up and you've been successfully tracked to the room you'll start to earn strategy points as you play. You'll also be instantly upgraded to bronze status and therefore you'll have access to lots more videos and articles to get you going with learning. Be sure to check out the free poker money offers on this page!

Alternatively you can buy a status from the status shop if you like.

Once you start reading the strategy articles and watching the coaching videos you'll start to pick up some of the secrets :D I hope that helps! Good luck at the tables and if you need any more help just ask :)

Lewis.
    • lukas65
      lukas65
      Basic
      Hi Lewis,

Thanks for the links. I will firts start with reading.

Regards,
      lukas65
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      Originally posted by lukas65
      Hi, I'm a beginner. What are the most importnat things I have to remember? any secret tips? thanks :)
      Join a poker site that is relatively easy to make money at for a beginner. This site should contain a lot of loose players and low rake for their games. I hear that microgaming is a good place to start that meets this criteria. Their sit and goes start at $1.10 and if you register via Pokerstrategy you get 30% rake back making that just 7% rake. I also understand that cash games are loose on microgaming as well. But I recommend that you learn to play sit and gos first because NL cash game is much more difficult to learn. Especially for beginners. However, if your starting bankroll is small, you may want to play Fixed Limit cash game first. Fixed Limit is the ideal place to start playing poker for cash because the betting is capped. So you can't lose all your money in one hand.
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Originally posted by arthurbentley
      Originally posted by lukas65
      Hi, I'm a beginner. What are the most importnat things I have to remember? any secret tips? thanks :)
      But I recommend that you learn to play sit and gos first because NL cash game is much more difficult to learn. Especially for beginners. However, if your starting bankroll is small, you may want to play Fixed Limit cash game first. Fixed Limit is the ideal place to start playing poker for cash because the betting is capped. So you can't lose all your money in one hand.
      I'm going to disagree with this.

When starting out, you should just start playing something you enjoy playing the most! That way, you're going to be much more motivated to study it and improve your game on it, while also having a good time playing. Learning any game type is as easy or difficult as you make it, really.

So if you enjoy playing SNGs, you can start with that. If you enjoy playing Fixed Limit HE cash games instead, you can start with that. So you can basically start with anything. It all depends on what you enjoy playing the most! :)

That said, if you really don't know where to start, a good starting point for almost everyone will be the No Limit Beginner's Course: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/strategy/bss/1992/1/

This focuses on No Limit HE cash games while playing with 100 big blinds (or more). So if you really don't know where to start, I'd recommend taking this course :)
    • arthurbentley
      arthurbentley
      Silver
      The best place for a beginner is Fixed Limit cash. Then after gaining some experience and learning about the math side of the game, about pot odds and outs, he can then decide to play No Limit. But he first needs to learn the basics and Fixed Limit is the best place to start. Especially if he doesn't want to lose a lot of money making basic mistakes like all learners do.

If he has got lots of money and doesn't mind losing his initial deposit then he can jump straight into NL cash after completing a crash course on Pokerstrategy. But if he is risk averse, and wants to take it one-step-at-a-time, then the best place to start is Fixed Limit.
    • lukas65
      lukas65
      Basic
      Thanks guys. All recommendations are very appreciated.

But I think Fixed Limit cash where I start first. Dont want to lose too much money :D
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Thanks for all the help guys! :f_love:

Just my 2c

I don't think you really need to start with fixed limit. There are lots of people that started of with no limit. But on the other hand you don't want to play with scared money. If you feel safer/better on fixed limit then thats the way to go!

Regards

RasTweet